|Birthplace:||Of, Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Eleanor Ashton
- Eleanor Ashton1,2,3
- F, #89982, b. circa 1346, d. before 27 August 1369
- Father Sir Robert Ashton, Justiciar & Chancellor of Ireland, Admiral of the West, & Lord Treasurer1,2,4 b. c 1305
- Mother Elizabeth de Gorges1,2,4 b. c 1310
- Eleanor Ashton was born circa 1346 at of Pitney & Ashton, Somersetshire, England.1 She married Sir John Berkeley, Sheriff of Somerset, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire, son of Sir Thomas de Berkeley, 3rd Lord Berkeley, Marshal of the English Army in France and Katharine de Clivedon, before 16 March 1367; No issue.1,5,2,3,4 Eleanor Ashton died before 27 August 1369.1,2,4
- Family Sir John Berkeley, Sheriff of Somerset, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire b. 23 Jan 1352, d. 5 Mar 1428
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 312.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 171.
- 3.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 334.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 589-590.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 178.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2995.htm#i89982
- BERKELEY, Sir John I (1352-1428), of Beverstone castle, Glos.
- Family and Education
- b. Wotton-under-Edge, Glos. 21 Jan. 1352, 4th but o. surv. s. of Thomas, 8th Lord Berkeley (1293-1361) of Berkeley castle, Glos. by his 2nd w. Katherine, da. of Sir John Clevedon† of Charfield, Glos. and wid. of Sir Peter Veel† of Tortworth, Glos.1 m. (1) bef. Jan. 1368, Eleanor (d. bef. 1377), da. of Sir Robert Assheton of Pitney and Ashton, Som.; (2) bet. 1377, Elizabeth, da. and h. of John Bettesthorne* of Bisterne, Hants, 14s. inc. Sir Maurice†, 3da.; (3) bef. June 1427, Margaret (d. 20 Aug. 1444), wid. of Sir Thomas Brewes* and Sir William Burcester*. Kntd. bef. 1383.
- Offices Held ....
- Berkeley’s first marriage, to the daughter of Sir Robert Assheton (treasurer of England 1375-7), resulted in no permanent material advantage, even though his father-in-law had arranged that Berkeley and his wife Eleanor and their children should have three Somerset manors after his death, for Eleanor predeceased her father and the marriage was apparently childless. It was his second marriage that most handsomely increased his fortune. On the death of John Bettesthorne in February 1399 Berkeley acquired in right of his wife Elizabeth, Bettesthorne’s only daughter ....
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/berkeley-sir-john-i-1352-1428
- parents: Robert de Assheton Knt., of Pitney & Ashton, Somerset, etc. (~1303-1384) & Elizabeth Gorges (~1305-)
- John Berkeley Knt., of Beverstone, Gloucestershire (1351-1427), son of Thomas "The Ritch" de Berkeley Knt., 3rd Lord Berkeley, etc. (~1296-1361) & Katharine de Clivedon (~1298-1385) as his 1st wife. He married Elizabeth Bettershorne 2nd & Margaret 3rd. No known children of this marriage.