Elizabeth Howe Hyde

Is your surname Hyde?

Research the Hyde family

Elizabeth Howe Hyde's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Related Projects

Elizabeth Howe Hyde (Bullard)

Birthdate: (101)
Birthplace: Holliston, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
Death: November 24, 1914 (101)
Place of Burial: Hyde Park, Cache, Utah, USA, Plot: 2-4-4
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Joel Bullard and Lucretia Bullard
Wife of Sgt William Hyde
Mother of Jane Elizabeth Hyde; Angeline Frances Hyde; Evangeline Frances Hyde; William Hyde, Jr.; Mary Lucretia Woolf and 1 other
Sister of Isaac Bullard; Lucretia Braley; Harriet Nurse; Joel Bullard; Esther Bullard and 2 others

Managed by: Patti Kay Gourley
Last Updated:

About Elizabeth Howe Hyde

Elizabeth was the daughter of Joel Bullard and Lucretia Morton. She married William Hyde, 19 Jan 1846, Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, and they had the following children: Evangeline Hyde, William Hyde, Ellen Maria Hyde, Jane Elizabeth Hyde, Angeline Frances Hyde, Mary Lucretia Hyde

Elizabeth Bullard Hyde — 101 Years

I was born in the town of Holliston, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts, on the 2nd day of October, 1813. My parents were Joel and Lucretia Morton Bullard. My grandmother's name on my mother's side was Esther Godard. She married Samuel Morton, who with two other brothers came from England to America when young men and settled in Athol, Massachusetts. My grandfather served in the Revolutionary War. My father was born and always lived in Holliston, Massachusetts. He was a well-to-do farmer, did not belong to any church, but was a whole-souled, generous kind of a man. He died at the age of 55, leaving my mother with seven children—three sons and four daughters. Her second son, Lyman, died previous to my father's death, at the age of eighteen years.

My mother was one of the best of women, kind and affectionate to her family, and beloved by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance. She early taught her children to love and fear God, and to live upright and honorable lives. She was a member of the Congregational Church. I was a subject of serious impressions from my earliest recollection. I would often go to my chamber and pray that God would direct me how to obtain a change of heart, which the ministers told us we must obtain in order to be saved, but they did not tell us how to obtain it, now knowing themselves, thus proving they were blind teachers of the blind. I continued praying, however, until I felt that light had broken into my mind, and I thought I had obtained what I had so anxiously been seeking after.

Accordingly I manifested a wish to become a member of the church to which most of our family belonged. This was when I was seventeen years old. The form of receiving members lay by going into the front aisle of the church, facing the pulpit, and the minister would read from a book called, "The Church Covenants." I have forgotten all but one clause which reads, "that denying all ungodliness and every worldly lust we would live soberly, righteously, and Godly in this present evil world," then we would bow our heads as a token of assent. We then partook of the sacrament and belonged to the church and were saved, no falling away from grace. Those who belonged to the church had their children sprinkled in infancy. I was one of that number, consequently I did not need sprinkling when joining the church—and if any died without being baptized, as they called it, their doom was to go where fire and brimstone were abundant. I was either a pupil or a teacher in the Sabbath School in the church to which I belonged until I became connected with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In 1833 I went to Amherst Female Seminary. The first Mormon elders that I saw were Brigham Young and his brother Joseph. They were relatives of our family. They stayed at our place and conversed upon the subject of their belief and sang beautifully, "Now Let Us Rejoice In The Day Of Salvation." The next elder to come to our house was Willard Richards. He was also a relative of the family. I had faith in God that if I would humble myself before Him in an acceptable manner, He would manifest unto me the truth. I accordingly spent many hours each day in my chamber searching the Scriptures, and asking in earnest prayers that if this was the work of God, I might know it myself. I had thus been employed when I arose from my knees and opened my Bible to the 15th Psalm, 5th verse, which reads, "Gather my saints together unto me, those who have made a covenant with me by sacrifice."

Those words were accompanied with the Spirit of God to such a degree that my heart rejoiced, and I knew for myself that this was indeed the work of God. I was then ready for baptism. I was willing, and even anxious, to leave my pleasant home where I had spent so many happy days, and gather with the Saints of God. This rejoiced the heart of my dear mother, for she, being a true Israelite, believed the work from the first.

We accordingly went forth and were baptized on the 30th day of June, 1838, by Elder Joseph Ball, and from that day to this, September 24, 1904, I have never for one moment doubted this work or regretted the sacrifice, if it can be called a sacrifice, of leaving friendly neighbors and home. I would here remark that Deacon Haven, one of the pillars of the church to which I belonged, with several others, was baptized at the same time we were, some having left previously. This so exasperated our Pastor, the Rev. Mr. Storr, that he became very bitter against us.

We then moved to Missouri. The first meeting we attended there was held in a grove and everybody was an entire stranger. There was no one near me that I had ever seen before. There were several elders on the stand. Some of them had spoken, when the Prophet Joseph Smith arose and commenced to speak. A feeling like electricity passed through my whole being, and I knew for myself that he was a Prophet of God. My mother rejoiced that she had been permitted to gather with the saints of God, but her stay was short. She took with the chills and fever, so prevalent in Nauvoo, and died the first day of August, 1841, at the age of sixty-seven. I was sick at the same time with chills and fever, therefore I was unable to render her any assistance.

On the 23rd of February, 1842, I was married to William Hyde, by Heber C. Kimball, and March 31st of the same year, my brother, Isaac Bullard, was married to Mary Ann Hyde, sister of my husband. In October following, my husband and brother were called to go on missions to Massachusetts and New Hampshire. My brother fell from the top of a barn he was building and injured his head. Brain fever followed and he soon died. He was buried by the side of our dear mother. My husband went on his mission, was absent eight months, during which time our eldest daughter, Jane Elizabeth, was born. He returned in June and in September started on another mission to the state of Vermont. He was absent at the time of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. He returned on the 6th of August in company with the Twelve who were also absent at that time. The mourning there was in Nauvoo when the sad news reached us that our beloved prophet and patriarch had been murdered in cold blood in Carthage Jail while under the protection of the state.

In January, 1844, my husband started on another mission to Mississippi and Alabama for the purpose of collecting tithing for the Temple. Also for the purpose of getting men to spend the summer in Nauvoo, as the mob were continually threatening us. My husband was gone this time two months, and had great success. July 12, 1845, a little daughter, Angeline Frances, was born to me. December 23rd we received our anointings in the Temple. We were sealed in celestial marriage on the 19th January 1846, and on the 22nd we received further blessings. My husband assisted in the work in the Temple most of the time until it closed. In the winter and spring of 1846 the Saints were driven from Nauvoo, our beautiful city, made so by the arduous toil, privations, and hardships of the Saints.

We left the city on the 18th of May and arrived at Council Bluffs on the 12th of July, and on the 16th of the same month my husband enlisted in the Mormon Battalion, and on the 20th took up the line of march, leaving me with my two small children, and in a delicate state of health, living in a wagon in an Indian country. Late in the fall my husband's father, and brother, Rosel, had put up a log cabin, one room each, which we moved into. Father and Mother Hyde occupying one room, and Rosel's family, consisting of himself and wife, with three children, and my little family in the other room. On the 7th of January, 1847, William Jr. was born. Brother Rosel and family were very kind to me, also Father and Mother Hyde did all they could for my comfort.

My husband was absent one year and five months, during which time he, with the rest of the Battalion, suffered very great hardships and privations, traveling across barren deserts without water and many times with food enough to barely sustain life. He arrived home on the 12th of December, 1847, with barely clothing enough on to be comfortable in the summertime. On his return home, he with others, was obliged to eat worn-out mule flesh which they eagerly devoured. They came to a deserted village of Indians where they found rotted ears of corn, which they seized with the eagerness of starving men. They cut leather from the saddles and boiled it to keep body and soul together. When they arrived home they were literally starved, and as my husband expressed himself, had suffered much cold, hunger, thirst, and fatigue. In the spring of 1848 Father Hyde and family started for the valley of Salt Lake.

On the 23rd of December, 1848, Mary Lucretia was born at Council Bluffs, Iowa. On March 30th, 1849, Angeline Frances died at the age of 3 years and 8 months. She was buried at Council Point, Iowa, four miles from Kanesville, under a lone tree. This affliction seemed almost more than I could endure. She was a very loving and sweet-dispositioned child. In the spring of 1849, my husband and his brother, Rosel, with their families, started for Salt Lake. The companies were divided into hundreds, fifties, and tens. Samuel Gully was captain of a fifty and died of cholera on the plains on the 4th of July. Several others of the company died of the same disease.

My husband came very near going the same way. I sat up with him many nights in my wagon, fearing every night to be his last. He was appointed to take Brother Gully's place as captain of fifty. Livingston and Kincaid, merchants in Brother Gully's company, rendered me every assistance in their power in my husband's sickness, furnishing me with medicine and lights. They said they had lost one captain and didn't want to lose another. They had him ride in their carriage until he got stronger. Sister Betsy Allred was with me. We traveled with ox teams.

We arrived in Salt Lake on the 22nd day of September, 1849, after being on the road between four and five months. After we arrived in Salt Lake my husband rented a room of Philo Johnson in the 17th ward and went into the store of Livingston and Kincaid. He afterwards built a small adobe house in the 14th ward. On the 1st of September, 1850, Sally Allred was sealed to my husband, and on the 16th of October a little daughter was born to me. We called her Ellen Maria.

We remained in the city a short time when my husband sold out, and we moved to Cottonwood, about twelve miles from the city. Here we moved into a small house with no floor. We remained here a short time, then obtained an adobe house with two rooms, where we remained for some time, and where Sally's second child was born on July 5, 1852, the first dying at birth in August, 1851.

My husband was called to go on a mission to Australia. There he accomplished good work, but owing to poor health he returned in October, 1854, bringing over sixty Saints whom he had brought into the church. His health continuing so poorly, President Brigham Young advised him to move back to Salt Lake as he was not able to work on the farm. I wish to state that while my husband was on his mission we received great kindness from Brother Albert Miles' family, Brother Boyce's family, also Dr. Lee's family, and Milo Andrus' and in fact all the neighbors, for which we were very grateful. After moving back to Salt Lake we moved into a log house formerly occupied by David Grant. We soon built a five-room house joining Father Hyde's lot. We did not remain there long before he sold out to Mr. Haven, and we moved to Lehi, this was in the spring before the move south.

We remained there three years, during which time my eldest daughter, Jane E., was married to Elder Simpson Molen in the spring of 1860. Mr. Hyde, Mr. Molen, and Mr. Griffith moved north into Cache Valley and located on a spot called Hyde Park, then a barren place except for sagebrush. They camped near a spring, lived in wagons and dugouts until they could build houses, and from this little beginning it has grown to a thrifty town. Mr. Hyde was chosen as bishop and presided there until his death, which sad event occurred on the 2nd day of March, 1874, at the age of 55 years, and 6 months. He had taken unto himself five wives, all good women, and he was the father of twenty-five children.

Soon after my husband's death, I went to live with the family of my son-in-law, Simpson Molen, where I have lived with my daughter, Jane, ever since. I have been treated with the utmost kindness, for which may the rich blessings of the Lord rest upon all that pertains unto Him is the prayer of my heart. —End of autobiography

Grandmother Hyde made her own candles for light, made soap, dried fruit, knitted for her children, and later her grandchildren, spun yarn, dyed cloth, and made clothing. She braided and made straw hats for her men-folk as well as for the girls and women. After she was 70 years of age she went to help her daughter, Mary, nurse her children who were ill. At this time she and all her family contracted typhoid fever. All of her hair came out; this was quite a trial for her, as she had always taken pride in her beautiful hair. She had a promise in the Temple that it would come in like a new born baby, and it did. She had beautiful hair at the last.

Grandma spent a very pleasant day on her 100th anniversary. Her four children were with her, which made the day a pleasant one for all. She received a telegram dated October 2nd 1913, Mrs. Elizabeth Hyde, in care of Mrs. Jane E. Molen, Logan, Utah:

We join with your many friends in hearty congratulations on this 100th anniversary of your birthday, and send you our kindest love and blessings. Joseph F. Smith, Anton H. Lund, and C. W. Penrose.

She also received congratulations from her grandchildren in Canada, Nevada, and from the Daughters of the Mormon Battalion.

There were a hundred people called from various parts of Utah to the meeting. All of her children spoke and several of the grandchildren expressed themselves as proud and thankful for the life of their dear grandmother and mother. She recited two poems, Learn to Love the Lord and Smile and the World Smiles With You. She learned these in her later life. We had a pleasant day, long to be remembered by her family and friends. She never tired of telling incidents of early days. Her memory and her faculties were intact, except for failing eyesight. My mother, her youngest daughter, Ellen M. Woolf, passed away October 14, 1914. This was a great sorrow to Grandma, but she felt that she would soon join her. Grandma passed away very peacefully at the home of her daughter, Jane E. Molen, on October 24th, 1914. The funeral was held in Logan 4th Ward, and her remains were laid away at the side of her beloved husband, William Hyde of Hyde Park. — Ella Woolf Baxter

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 7, p. 430



Joel Bullard (1771 - 1827)


Lucretia Morton Bullard (1774 - 1841)



William Hyde (1818 - 1874)



Jane Elizabeth Hyde Pitkin (1843 - 1934)


William Hyde (1847 - 1937)


Mary Lucretia Hyde Woolf (1848 - 1915)


Ellen Maria Hyde Woolf (1850 - 1914)



Lyman Bullard (1801 - 1820)


Esther Bullard Palmer (1804 - 1899)


Isaac Bullard (1808 - 1842)


Lucretia Bullard Braley (1810 - 1899)


Elizabeth Howe Bullard Hyde (1813 - 1914)

Created by: SMSmith

Record added: Jan 27, 2008

Find A Grave Memorial# 24215889

view all 13

Elizabeth Howe Hyde's Timeline

October 22, 1813
Holliston, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
June 30, 1838
Age 24
February 12, 1843
Age 29
Nauvoo, Hancock, Il
July 12, 1845
Age 31
Nauvoo, Hancock, Il
December 23, 1845
Age 32
Age 32
<Nauvoo, Hancock, Il>
January 7, 1847
Age 33
Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, IA, USA
December 23, 1848
Age 35
Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa, USA
October 16, 1850
Age 36
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah