About Henry de Edgbaston
In the early 1270s, on the site of the present church, Henry de Edgbaston built a small chapel dedicated to St Bartholomew adjacent to his manor house. The chapel is mentioned as part of a legal dispute that took place in 1279. The original chapel was approximately the length of the present nave and the width of the tower. (1)
EDGBASTON appears in the Domesday Survey (as 'Celboldestone') among the lands of William FitzAnsculf, of whom it was held in 1086 by Drew; it had formerly been held by Aschi and Alwi, and was assessed at 2 hides. (fn. 40) Edgbaston was held of Roger de Somery in 1235 as half a fee. (fn. 41) A mesne lordship, held by William de Birmingham, is mentioned in 1291 and 1323. (fn. 42)
The first tenants in fee seem to have taken their name from the place; Henry de Edgbaston quitclaimed the advowson of the church to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield in 1284, (fn. 43) and he was holding the ½ fee of William de Birmingham in 1291. (fn. 44) In 1343 Henry's son John settled the manor on himself and his wife Isabel in tail, with successive contingent remainders to his sister Alice, Roger de Edgbaston, and Sir Richard de Edgbaston. (fn. 45) John was dead by 1361, when his widow Isabel was dealing with the manor. (fn. 46) It subsequently passed to Isabel, grand-daughter of Sir Richard de Edgbaston, who married Thomas Middlemore, (fn. 47) with whose descendants it remained for three hundred years. (fn. 48) (2)
- Edgbaston Old Church -the parish church of Saint Bartholomew, Edgbaston, Birmingham, England History
- Edgbaston: formerly in Warwickshire - one of the Domesday manors of Birmingham and an ancient parish
'Manors', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 58-72. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22962&strquery=Isabel Date accessed: 21 May 2013.