Hilda Maude Robins

Is your surname Robins?

Research the Robins family

Hilda Maude Robins's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Hilda Maude Robins (Dalley)

Birthdate:
Birthplace: Truro, England
Death: Died in NJ, United States
Immediate Family:

Daughter of William Dalley and Sarah Dalley
Wife of Richard John Robins
Mother of William Richard Robins; <private> Robins; Douglas Vernon Robins and Joyce A. Grant
Sister of Olive Dalley
Half sister of <private> Calderon (Dalley); <private> Dalley; <private> Dalley and William Ramon Dalley

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:
view all 13

Immediate Family

About Hilda Maude Robins

Hilda Dalley and Richard Robins were married on February 28, 1920 in St. Mary's Wesleyan Chapel, Truro, Cornwall, England. Richard was 26 and Hilda 25. Richard's address was 35 Charles Street, Truro. Hilda's address was 22 Pydar Street, Truro. Richard's father, Richard, was identified as a gardener. Hilda's father, William, was identified as a carpenter. Frederick Dalley and Joseph Robins witnessed the ceremony. When son William Richard Robins was born on November 1, 1920, Richard and Hilda Robins resided at 32 Orchard in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Hilda's occupation was listed as "Housewife."

view all

Hilda Maude Robins's Timeline

1895
July 2, 1895
Truro, England

I was born in Truro, Cornwall, England.

Truro (pronounced /ˈtruːrəʊ/; Cornish: Truru) is a city in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom, and is the centre for administration, leisure and retail in Cornwall, with a population of 20,920.[1] It is the only city in the county, and the most southerly city in Great Britain.

Truro initially grew as an important centre of trade from its port, and then as a stannary town for the mining industry. The city is well-known for its cathedral (completed in 1910), cobbled streets, open spaces and Georgian architecture, and places of interest include the Royal Cornwall Museum, the Hall for Cornwall, Cornwall's Courts of Justice and Cornwall County Council.

The earliest records and archaeological findings of a permanent settlement in the Truro area originate from Norman times. A castle was built in the 12th century by Richard de Luci, Chief Justice of England in the reign of Henry II, who was granted land in Cornwall for his services to the court, including the area surrounding the confluence of the two rivers. He planted the town in the shadow of the castle and awarded it borough status to further economic activity. (The castle has long since disappeared).

By the start of the 14th century Truro was an important port, thanks firstly to its inland location away from invaders and its prosperity from the fishing industry, but also to its new role as one of Cornwall's stannary towns for the official assaying and stamping of locally-produced tin and copper in Cornish mines. However, the Black Death soon arrived and with it, a trade recession, resulting in a mass exodus of the population and, as such the town was left in a very neglected state.

Trade returned to Truro with help from the government and the town was very prosperous during the Tudor period. Self-governance was awarded in 1589 by the granting of a new charter by Elizabeth I, which gave Truro an elected mayor and control over the port of Falmouth.

During the Civil War in the 17th century, Truro raised a sizable force to fight for the King and a royalist mint was set up in the town. However, defeat to the Parliamentary troops came in 1646 and the mint was moved to Exeter. Further disheartenment came later in the century when Falmouth was awarded its own charter giving it rights to its harbour, starting a long rivalry between the two towns. The dispute was eventually settled in 1709 with control of the River Fal being divided between Truro and Falmouth.

Truro prospered greatly during the 18th and 19th centuries. Industry flourished thanks to improved mining methods and higher prices for tin, and the town soon became the place to be for wealthy mine owners. Elegant Georgian and Victorian townhouses were built—such as those seen today on Lemon Street, named after the mining magnate and local MP Sir William Lemon—and Truro became the centre for high society in the county, being mentioned as "the London of Cornwall".

Throughout these prosperous times Truro remained a social centre and many notable people hailed from it. One of the most noteworthy residents was Richard Lander, an explorer who discovered the source of the River Niger in Africa and was awarded the first gold medal of the Royal Geographical Society. Others include Humphry Davy, educated in Truro and inventor of the miner's safety lamp, and Samuel Foote, an actor and playwright from Boscawen Street.

Truro's importance increased later in the 19th century and it had its own iron smelting works, potteries, and tanneries. The Great Western Railway arrived in Truro in the 1860s with a direct line from London Paddington, and the Bishopric of Truro bill was passed in 1876 which gave the town a bishop, then a cathedral. The next year Queen Victoria granted Truro city status.

The start of the 20th century saw the decline of the mining industry, however the city remained prosperous as its previous role as a market town shifted to being the administrative and commercial centre of Cornwall, and saw substantial development. Today, Truro continues its role as the retail centre of Cornwall but, like many other cities, faces concerns over the disappearance of many of its renowned speciality shops for national chain stores, the eroding of its identity, and also over how to accommodate future expected growth in the 21st century.

1920
November 1, 1920
Age 25
Wilkes-Barre, Lucerne, Pennsylvania, United States
1928
January 8, 1928
Age 32
Kingston, Pennsylvania, United States
1934
June 12, 1934
Age 38
Kingston, PA, United States
1994
February 25, 1994
Age 98
NJ, United States