John M. Larn (lawman and outlaw)

Is your surname Larn?

Research the Larn family

John M. Larn (lawman and outlaw)'s Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


John M. Larn

Birthdate: (29)
Death: June 24, 1878 (29)
Immediate Family:

Son of George A. Larn
Husband of Mary Jane Matthews

Managed by: Greg Howell
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About John M. Larn (lawman and outlaw)

John M. Larn (March 1, 1849–June 23, 1878) was a western American lawman and later outlaw who, with gunfighter John Selman, operated a cattle rustling ring in Shackelford County, Texas for over a year.

Born in Mobile, Alabama, Larn traveled to Colorado as a teenager where he found work as a ranch hand until murdering his employer during an argument over a horse. Fleeing to New Mexico, Larn killed a local sheriff he had thought was tracking him. After settling in Fort Griffin, Texas, Larn once again was employed by local rancher Bill Hays as a trail boss. It was also around this time, while traveling to California, that Larn had supposedly murdered two Mexicans after an argument and had their bodies dumped in the Pecos River.

Deciding to stay in Fort Griffin, Larn eventually married the daughter of Bill Hays and within several years had become a well known citizen of Shackelford County. After years of service with the local vigilante committees, Larn was elected county sheriff in April 1876. Shortly after becoming elected, Larn agreed to a contract with the local territorial garrison to deliver three steers of cattle per day. Larn however, began planning with longtime friend and recently deputized John Selman to rustle cattle from neighboring ranchers in place of his own. Suspicions were soon raised as ranchers noticed while their herds were slowly shrinking, Larn's remained the only ranch unaffected and, after discovering the scheme, Larn was eventually forced to resign on March 7, 1877.

No charges were brought against him however; Leslie continued to live in Shackelford County until June 1878 when Larn wounded a local ranched by the name of Treadwell (who had reportedly uncovered the cattle rustling). Larn was soon arrested by Sheriff William Cruger on June 22, 1878 and taken to Albany where Cruger ordered the local blacksmith to shackle Larn to the floor of the jail house as to prevent a breakout by Larn's supporters. However, when vigilantes from Fort Griffin arrived the following night, finding they could not lynch Larn they instead shot him as he was still shackled in his cell.


So respected as a vigilante in the lawless settlement of Fort Griffin, Texas, John M. Larn was elected sheriff, a mistake the town's population would not soon forget.

Born in Mobile, Alabama on March 1, 1849, Larn traveled to Colorado as a teenager where he found work as a ranch hand. However, after an argument with his boss over a horse around 1869, he shot and killed him. Soon he fled to New Mexico, where he killed a local sheriff who he thought was trailing him. Continuing on into to Texas, he settled in Fort Griffin, where in 1871 he worked as a trail boss for a local rancher named Bill Hays. While on a cattle drive to Trinidad, Colorado, he allegedly killed two Mexicans and a sheep herder. Somewhere along the line, Larn married Mary Jane Matthews from the noted Matthews family and became a well known citizen of Shackelford County.

However, by 1873, allegations began to surface that Larn was involved in cattle rustling. Ironically, that same year, he got a warrant for the arrest of every member of Bill Hays' cattle outfit for rustling. 

As he accompanied a posse of thirteen soldiers from Fort Griffin, the men ambushed and killed every member of the outfit near Bush Knob, Texas. In 1874 he joined the Tin Hat Brigade in Fort Griffin, a vigilante group that worked swiftly bringing "justice" to many a horse thief who was left hanging from a tree near the river. As a member of the Tin Hat Brigade, he gained so much respect, he was elected sheriff of Fort Griffin in April, 1876. That same month, the Tin Hat Brigade caught a man in the act of stealing a horse and promptly hanged him to a pecan tree. Leaving his body hanging there for all to see, they also left a pick and shovel below his gruesome remains for anyone who might have wished to remove the thief and bury him. In the next three months the Fort Griffin vigilantes shot two more horse thieves and hanged six others.

Shortly after taking the sheriff's position, Larn entered into a private contract with the local territorial garrison to deliver three steers of cattle per day. However, Larn had different ideas and began to plan with longtime friend and recently deputized John Selman, to simply rustle the cattle from neighboring ranchers rather than having to provide his own. Before long, he and Selman, instead of controlling the area crime, were controlling the vigilantes, rustling even more cattle and otherwise terrorizing the county. However, suspicions were soon raised as a number of ranchers noticed that while their herds were slowly shrinking, Larn's remained unaffected. Obviously profitable, Larn soon built a house at Camp Cooper Ranch on the Cedar Fork in Lambshead, Texas

After serving less than a year as sheriff, Larn resigned as sheriff on March 7, 1877 and was replaced by his deputy, William Cruger, a month later. Moving on to outright cattle rustling, he and Selman continued to profit and in March, 1877 were appointed as deputy hide inspectors for Shackelford County. Opportune positions for the cattle thieves, they were to inspect all cattle herds entering and leaving the county, as well as supervising the butchers. Larn also continued to supply Fort Griffin with its beef and as more and more cattle went missing, the complaints grew louder and louder. A number of violent acts were also being reported as a band of men, allegedly led by Larn and Selman, were bushwhacking area ranchers, driving off their cattle, shooting horses, and firing potshots at the homes of terrified citizens.

Finally, in February, 1878, a group of civilians secured a warrant to search to river behind Larn's house. Looking for hides that didn't belong to him, six were recovered from the river with brands other than Larn's own. Though Larn was arrested, he was later released and violence continued.

However, in June, 1878 a local rancher named Treadwell, who had reportedly uncovered the cattle rustling, was wounded by Larn and the Albany court issued a warrant for his arrest. Sheriff William Cruger was then tasked with arresting his former boss, which he did on June 22, 1878. After placing him in the jail, Cruger had the local blacksmith shackle Larn to the floor of the cell to prevent a breakout by Larn's supporters.

Instead, the next night, the Tin Hat Brigade, stormed the jail intending to hang Larn. When they found they couldn't lynch the shackled man, they shot him in his cell. Afterwards, his body was returned to Camp Cooper Ranch where he was buried beside his infant son.

view all

John M. Larn (lawman and outlaw)'s Timeline

March 1, 1849
June 24, 1878
Age 29