Jonathan Tallman, Dr.
|Birthplace:||Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States|
|Death:||Died in Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States|
Son of Peter Tallman and Joan Tallman
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Jonathan Tallman, Dr.
About Jonathan Tallman, Dr.
- ' Historical and genealogical miscellany; data relating to the settlement and settlers of New York and New Jersey (1903) Vol. V
- The Tallmans of New Jersey are represented by several branches of the name having a common ancestor in Peter Tallman, I,who settled in Newport and Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where he died in 1708. Concerning him and his immediate issue, F. O. Austin supplies the following data: .....
- 1708. The inventory of his estate was presented by his son James Tallman.
- 1709, May 3. Administration having been given to Jonathan Tallman, he took acquittances, at this date, from his brothers and sisters, William Wilbur, Israel Shaw, 'Jonathan Tallman', James Tallman, Benjamin Tallman, Mary Pearce, Susanna Beckett, Peter Tallman, Isaac Lawton, William Potter, John Tallman, Joseph Tallman and Samuel Tallman.
- Peter Tallman, Sr., married, first, Ann ___ ; second, 1665, Joan Briggs, who died about 1685; third, about 1686, Esther ___ who died before 1708. Issue
- 2 Mary Tallman married John Pearce
- 3 Elizabeth Tallman married Isaac Lawton
- 4 Peter Tallman born Mch. 22, 1658, (son by first wife), a physician, married Anne Walstone.
- 5 Anne Tallman married Stephen Brayton
- 6 Joseph Tallman
- 7 Susanna Tallman married Mr. Beckett
- 8 Daughter married William Wilbur
- ' 9 Jonathan Tallman married Sarah ___ .
- 10 James Tallman, ancestor of the Shrewsbury, New Jersey, family.
- 11 Daughter married William Potter
- 12 John Tallman married Mary ___ ; settled at Flushing, Long Island; ancestor of the Burlington County, New Jersey, family.
- 13 Daughter married Israel Shaw
- 14 Benjamin Tallman (son by second wife).
- 15 Samuel Tallman (son by third wife).
- Concerning these children Austin contributes considerable information and mentions ninety-two of their children. But we are only interested in following James Tallman, 10, and John Tallman, 12, and their progeny.
- Peter Tallman
- M, b. 20 February 1623, d. 1708
- Peter Tallman was born on 20 February 1623 at Hamburg, Germany. He married Ann Hill, daughter of Phillip Hill and Ann (?), on 2 January 1649 at Christ Church, Barbados. Peter Tallman immigrated in 1649; To Barbados, 1647, then from Barbados to Portsmouth, Rhode Island about 1649, with first wife Ann Hill. He and Ann Hill were divorced in 1665; Adultery, complaint that she had a child by another man. Peter Tallman married Joan Briggs, daughter of Samuel Briggs, on 24 July 1665 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI. Peter Tallman married Esther (?) circa 1686 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI. Note: Deposition of Joseph Sheffield regarding a declaration made by Peter Tallman of Portsmouth on 13 March, 1702/3:
- "Joseph Sheffield, one of Her Majesty's Assistants, testified that being in the house of Peter Tallman in Portsmouth March 13, 1702/3, Peter declared:
- 'I am now 80 years of age and in the year 1647 I came from Hambrough to the Island of Barbados, and within two years after my arrival I married with Ann Hill the daughter of Phillip Hill and Ann his wife,' and he was married in Christ Church in said Island, and after seven or eight months after his marriage the said Tallman moved from the Island of Barbados to Rhode Island bringing with him his wife and wife's brother called Robert Hill, as likewise his wife's mother ... and further said Tallman declared to me the said deponent that the Peter Tallman whose habitation is now at Guildford in the County of New Haven in Connecticut is eldest lawfull son of said Peter Tallman." Peter Tallman died in 1708 at Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI.
- Children of Peter Tallman and Ann Hill
- Mary Tallman b. c 1651, d. 1720
- Elizabeth Tallman+ b. c 1654, d. 20 May 1701
- Ann Tallman+ b. c 1656, d. 1732
- Peter Tallman+ b. 22 Mar 1658, d. 6 Jul 1726
- Joseph Tallman b. c 1660, d. a 3 May 1709
- Susannah Tallman b. c 1662
- Sarah Tallman b. 1664, d. 1732
- Children of Peter Tallman and Joan Briggs
- ' Jonathan Tallman b. 1666, d. 1782
- Mercy Ruth Tallman b. 1666
- James Tallman+ b. c 1668, d. 1724
- John Tallman b. 1672, d. bt 1707 - 1709
- Ruth Tallman b. 1674
- Peter Tallman b. c 1676
- Nathaniel Tallman b. 1680
- Benjamin Tallman+ b. 28 Jun 1684, d. 20 May 1759
- Mary Tallman b. c 1686
- Children of Peter Tallman and Esther (?)
- Samuel Tallman b. 14 Jan 1687/88
- Joseph Tallman b. 1691
- Peter Tallman (1623 - 1708) was originally from Hamburg, Germany. He settled first about 1647 at Barbados, where he married his first wife Ann Hill, then in 1649 relocated to Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Peter and Ann were divorced in 1665 based on alleged infidelity of Ann, producing a child by another man. Peter Tallman then married Joan Briggs in July, 1665. Our descent is from Peter and Joan's son Benjamin (1684 - 1759) and his wife Patience Durfee, via their son William, born in Rhode Island, who married Anne Lincoln and lived at Reading in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Of eleven children born to William and Anne Lincoln Tallman, only Benjamin lived to adulthood, to marry and have children of his own. Ben Tallman married Dinah Boone, daughter of Benjamin and Susannah (Liken) Boone in 1764 in Berks County.
- Photos of:
- The Tallman cemetery, on top of a hill in rural Pickaway County, Ohio
- headstone for Benjamin and Dinah (Boone) Tallman
- Berne, NY - Family Files
- Father: Peter Tallman Mother: Maria Von Peene
- Individual: Peter Tallman Born: ABT 1623 Married: Died: 1708
- Spouse: Joan Briggs Born: Died: 24 JUL 1685
- Other Spouses: Ann Hill
- 'Jonathan Tallman Born: ABT 1666 Died: JUL 1762
- James Tallman Born: ABT 1668 Died: 1724
- Ann Tallman Born: ABT 1670 Died: 1732
- Note1: an ante nuptial agreement was made between Peter Tallman and Joan Briggs. He agreed to give her land he had bought from Richard Morris, Daniel Wilcox and William Wilbur and also a house, all to be hers and her heirs born of this marriage . He gave her beside a bed and half the household goods, but if she die without issue the estate given her was to revert to Peter Tallman's eldest son, viz. Peter Jr., and if the latter die without issue then to Peter Tallman Sr.'s eldes t daughter viz Mary and her heirs. To Joan, absolutely as a "free gift of donation" he gave 3 good cows and a good breeding mare.
Jonathan Tallman (abt. 1666 - abt. 1762)
Jonathan Tallman Born about 1666 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, USAmap Son of Peter Tallman and Joanna (Briggs) Tallman Brother of Sarah (Tallman) Wilbore, Mary (Tallman) Pearce, Elizabeth (Tallman) Lawton, Ann Tallman, Peter Tallman, Joseph Tallman, Susannah (Tallman) Beckwith, Sarah Tallman, Sarah (Tallman) Wilbore, Mercy Ruth (Tallman) Shaw, James Tallman, John Tallman, Ruth Tallman, Nathaniel Tallman, Benjamin Tallman, Mary (Tallman) Potter and Samuel Tallman Husband of Sarah Devoll — married 1689 in Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USAmap Father of Darius Tallman, Mary Tallman, James Tallman and Brittan Tallman Died about July 1762 in Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USAmap Profile managers: Jonathon Myers private message [send private message], Cindy Barnett private message [send private message], and Mike Chin private message [send private message] Last modified 17 July 2016. 17 July 2016 00:33: Cindy (Ramsey) Barnett edited the Biography, Status Indicators, Father Status Indicator and Mother Status Indicator for Jonathan Tallman. [Thank Cindy for this]
[hide] 1 Name 2 Birth 3 Residence 4 Marriage 5 Death 6 Burial 7 Event 8 Sources 9 Acknowledgments Name
Jonathan Tallman Birth
1666 Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, USA Residence
Residence Date: Aft 1666 Place: Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA Residence Date: Aft 1666 Place: Westport (Old Dartmouth), Bristol County, Massachusetts, USA Marriage
1689 Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA Event Type: Alt. Marriage Date: Aft 1688 Place: Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA Event Type: Alt. Marriage Date: Abt 1689 Place: Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI Child: James Tallman Jonathan's Parents: Husband: Peter Tallman Wife: Joan Briggs Marriage Date: 24 Jul 1665 Place: Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI Event Type: Alt. Marriage Date: 17 Jul 1665 Place: Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI Marriage Contract Date: 24 Jul 1665 Place: Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, USA Child: Jonathan Tallman Death
JUL 1762 Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA Burial
Burial Place: Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA Event
Event Type: Alt. Birth Date: Abt 1664 Event Type: Alt. Birth Date: 1666 Place: Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island, USA Event Type: Alt. Death Date: 1762 Place: Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA Sources
Source: S100 Title: Wyoming County Times Author: New York. Warsaw. Source: S101 Media: Book Title: Genealogical and Biographical Directory to Persons in New Netherland from 1613 to 1674, Vol. 1 Author: David M. Riker Publication: Mechanicsburg, PA: self, 1999; Call Number: 774.7 D24r v. 1 Source: S12 Media: Book Title: Talman/Tallman Families Author: Herbert S. Ackerman Publication: 1953; Reprint of original book, loaned from the Bergen County Historical Society. Note: Film Number 442407, Ref # 21494. Source: S13 Media: Electronic Database Title: WorldTree Database: "The Ancestral File of Allen Donald Tallman" Author: Allen Donald Tallman <firstname.lastname@example.org> Publication: 3 May 2004; Ancestry.com Source quality: Excellent Repository: R4 Address: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=atallmen Source: S47 Media: Gedcom File Title: Peter Tallman GEDCOM Author: David Cornell <email@example.com> Publication: 9 February 2007 Note: Received a GEDCOM file, from David Cornell, containing the "Descendants of Peter Tallman". Source: S50 Title: "Ancestors of Gladys Mae Tallman"; report to Richard Tallman,, 1 March 2009. Author: Dale Frank Note: Genealogy report on the ancestors of Gladys Mae Tallman  by Dale Frank. Source: S53 Title: "WorldConnect Database: "Ancestors of Vern Divine"," database, RootsWeb.com Author: Kennett Art Offill Publication: (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=kaoffill3 : 26 February 2010) Note: Information on James Tallman that married Dorcus Weaver, and others. Source: S55 Media: Book Title: Vital Records of Dartmouth, Massachusetts to the Year 1850 volume I - Births Publication: New Englang Historical Genealogical Society. Boston, Massachusetts. 1930 Note: Also available on NEHGS Repository: #R11 Call Number: F74.D25D23 vol.1 Repository: R11 Address: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/_glc_/5347/index.html Source: S68 Media: Book Title: One Hundred and Sixty Allied Families Author: John Osborne Austin Publication: Massachussetts, 1893, Privately Printed Repository: #R3 Source: S72 Media: Electronic Title: WorldTree Database: "Thomas, Wilbur and Courser Families" Author: Roger Courser Publication: May 3, 2004; Ancestry.com Repository: #R19 Repository: R19 Address: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=rogerd2527 Source: S75 Title: "Ancestors of James Arthur Tallmon," supplied by Tallmon, 18 April 2009. Author: compiled by Diana Lisa Tallmon Source: S77 Media: Book Title: Ancestral Lines (Third Edition) Author: Carl Boyer, 3rd. Publication: Santa Clarita, California; 1998 Note: 206 Families in England, Wales, The Netherlands, Germany, New England, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Repository: #R3 Call Number: ISBN 0-936124-18-0 Source: S82 Media: Electronic Title: Cindy's Genealogy File - 838418.GED Author: Cindy Clarke <firstname.lastname@example.org> Repository: #R24 Repository: R24 Address: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:838418 Source: S85 Media: Book Title: English Origins of New England Families Author: Gary Boyd Roberts Publication: Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1984 Source: S86 Media: Book Title: Ancestors of Robert Abell Author: Horace A. Abell Publication: Rochester; Privately Printed; 1933 Repository: #R27 Call Number: CS71.A15 Repository: R27 Address: GenealogyLibrary.com Source: S88 Media: Electronic Title: WorldTree Database: "Descendants of Tunis Wells and Other Surnames" Author: Dave Wells Publication: Ancestry.com Repository: #R29 Repository: R29 Address: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwells Source: S92 Title: "U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700," database, Ancestry.com Source: S94 Title: Notable Kin - The Ancestry of Thomas Lanier "Tennessee" Williams Author: John Anderson Brayton Publication: NEHGS Note: The ancestry of "Tennessee" Williams the playwright Source: S95 Title: OneWorldTree for Jedediah Judediah Sherman Publication: December 16, 2004; Ancestry.com Note: Received from Hal Miller Source: S96 Media: Electronic Title: Descendants of Peter Tallman Author: David Kew <email@example.com> Repository: #R31 Repository: R31 Address: http://capecodhistory.us/genealogy/Tallman.pdf Source: S97 Media: Electronic Title: WorldTree Database: "Edward Howard Effingham New Englan" Author: Leonard Howard <firstname.lastname@example.org> Publication: Ancestry.com Repository: #R26 Source: S98 Media: Electronic Title: WorldConnect Database: "New England families" Author: Glenn Russell <email@example.com> Publication: February 18, 2008; RootsWeb.com Date: 11 May 2008 Repository: #R32 Repository: R32 Address: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=russfamily2 Source: S99 Media: Letter Title: Email from Raymond Wing, dated 4 Sep 2007 Author: Raymond T. Wing <firstname.lastname@example.org> Publication: September 4, 2007 Note: Raymond T. Wing Genealogist, Wing Family of America, Inc. [WFA] www.wingfamily.org <http://www.wingfamily.org> Source: S630 Title: U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Name: Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.; Repository: #R1 Repository: R1 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Source: S632 Title: Family Data Collection - Individual Records Name: Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Individual Records [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000.; Repository: #R1 Source: S651 Author: Godfrey Memorial Library, comp. Title: American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1999. Original data - Godfrey Memorial Library. American Genealogical-Biographical Index. Middletown, CT, USA: Godfrey Memorial Library. Repository: #R1 Source: S790 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.; Repository: #R1 Acknowledgments
Thank you to Jon Myers for creating WikiTree profile Tallman-184 through the import of MYERS-EVEY Family WikiTree.ged on Apr 18, 2013. Tallman-458 was created by Tom Greene through the import of wikijunetallman1.ged on May 1, 2015.
Jonathan Tallman, Dr.'s Timeline
Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States
February 3, 1689
Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts
January 14, 1696
Dartmouth, Bristol, MA
May 3, 1696
Dartmouth, Bristol, MA
February 7, 1697
Dartmouth, Bristol, MA
February 7, 1698
Portsmouth, Newport County, RI, USA
November 26, 1702
Dartmouth, Bristol, MA
February 24, 1703
Dartmouth, Bristol, MA
Dartmouth, Bristol, MA