|Birthplace:||Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
|Death:||Died in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Joshua Gee
Joshua Gee (father of Rev. Joshua Gee), who married as his 2nd wife Elizabeth Thacher, was in his early life a mariner evidently engaged as shipmaster or merchant in trade with the Mediteranean Sea countries and while on some voyage connected with his vocation was captured and held in slavery by the Moors in Morocco.
This fact is made clear by reference to vol. i, series vi, of the Mass. Hist. Soc. Collections, in which we see that Joshua Gee was liberated from captivity by the Moors previous to September 20th 1687. That the Joshua Gee who was then liberated was the same Joshua* Gee who married, subsequent to his ist wife's death, to Elizabeth* Thacher is made clear by a letter in this same volume from Sewall to Ive under date of November 4th, 1698, in which Sewall says "Mr. Gee knows the heart of a captive;" and this same letter makes it clear that the once captive Joshua Gee had married Elizabeth Thacher, as in the letter Mr. Gee is quoted as speaking of Thomas* Thacher of Boston as "his wife's brother."
Joshua* Gee when liberated from captivity returned to Boston aud became a shipwright and married as we have above shown 1st to Elizabeth Harrise and 2nd to Elizabeth* Thacher. He made his will under date of January 15th, 1722- 3, and it was probated March iith,;i722-3; hence he died between these dates.
Joshua Gee's shipyard appears on the first printed map of Boston the Bonner Map. It was located on the southwest side of Prince Street, and his mansion stood on the corner of Salem and Prince streets, known then as Gee's Corner. The adjoining lands were also in possession of the Gees. Here is a link mapping the Bonner Map to today's Boston: http://www.xefer.com/2006/11/bonner.
He owned one of the first plots in and is buried in the Copp's Hill Burying Ground. His son, also named Joshua, was Cotton Mather's co-pastor at the Second Church. (There is some confusion between this and the Old North Church.)