Josiah Guile Hardy

Is your surname Hardy?

Research the Hardy family

Josiah Guile Hardy's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Josiah Guile Hardy

Birthdate: (80)
Birthplace: Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts
Death: January 12, 1894 (80)
Colonia Pacheco, Chihuahua, Mexico
Place of Burial: Galeana Morelos, Chihuahua, Mexico
Immediate Family:

Son of Sylvanus Hardy and Mary Polly Boynton
Husband of Ann Hardy and Sarah Sally Clark Hardy
Father of George William Hardy; Warren Hardy and Rufus Herbert Hardy
Brother of Abner Hardy; Lois Hardy; Mary Ruth Hardy; Rebecca Hardy; Samuel Boynton Hardy and 2 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Josiah Guile Hardy

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868 John S. Higbee/James W. Bay Company (1852) Age 39

Departure: 28 May 1852 Arrival: 13-20 August 1852

Company Information: About 190 individuals were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Kanesville, Iowa (present day Council Bluffs).

Perpetual Emigrating Fund

Find a Grave

Birth: Mar. 17, 1813 Bradford Essex County Massachusetts, USA

Death: Jan. 12, 1894 Colonia Pacheco Chihuahua, Mexico

Josiah Guile Hardy (Sylvanus, Abner, Jeremiah, Jacob, Thomas #2, Thomas #1), son of Sylvanus Hardy and Mary Boynton Hardy, born at Bradford, Massachusetts, 17 March 1813; died at Pacheco, Chihuahua, Old Mexico, 12 January 1894; married at Bradford, Massachusetts, 17 March 1835, Sarah Clark Parker, daughter of Theodore and Mary Parker. She was born 30 March 1815 at Bradford, Massachusetts. She died 25 December 1893 and is buried in St. George, Utah City Cemetery Plot #A_F_97_4_WH

Children: 1- Henry Harding, born at Bradford, 22 April 1836 2- Lucy, born at Bradford, 29 October 1838; married Ethan Burrows; died 19 January 1910 3- Warren, born at Bradford, September 3, 1840; married at Salt Lake City, Utah, 5 November 1864, Caroline Lucy Blake; married 2nd at Salt Lake City, 1875, Sarah Hannah Smith, married 3rd Martha Aurelia Johnson, 18 December 1879. 4- Charles William, born at Bradford, 28 July 1842; married Marinda Andrus 5- Milton Henry, born at Bradford, 26 September 1844; married Elizabeth Smoot; died 23 Aug 1905 6- Sarah Adeline, born at Bradford, 23 March 1847; married Solomon Crown 7- Sylvanus, born at Bradford, 1850 8- Josiah Heber, born at Salt Lake City, Utah, 26 March 1853; married Ella Boombs; died 20 September 1893 9- Rufus Herbert, born at Salt lake City, Utah, 8 April 1855 10- Sylvester, born at Salt Lake City, Utah, 1857

Josiah Guile Hardy died 12 January 1894, in Colonia Parcheco, Galeana, Mexico (Chihuana) He was 81 years old. He was buried 14 January 1894, in Pacheco, Chihuana, Mexico

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel 1847-1868

Company Name: John S. Higbee/James W. Bay Company 1852

Departure: 28 May 1852 Arrival: 13-20 August 1852

Company Information: About 190 individuals were in the company when in began its journey from the outfitting post at Kanesville, Iowa (present day Council Bluffs).

List of Hardy's in this company:

Josiah Guile - age 39 Sarah Clark Parker - age 37 Lucy - age 13 Warren - age 12 Charles William - age 9 Milton Henry - age 7 Sarah Adeline - age 5

History of Josiah Guile Hardy (Copied from the Journal of Josiah Guile Hardy)

I, Josiah Guile Hardy, was born in the town of Bradford, Essex County, State of Massachusetts, the 17th day of March 1813. I was a wild rough swearing youth.

I was first in sport and roguish tricks, but was careful not to purposely injure any ones person or property. I was looked up to by my playmates for advice and to lead out and was respected by them. I never was whipped or handled by my equals in age or size. I was a dull scholar and always could find something more interesting that books to me. I was brought up to work steady and hard for which I am thankful.

I worked all one winter when quite a lad turning a wheel to twist tobacco for three cents per day and board at home.

At the age of 16 I commenced t work with my father going our at day's work, carpentering when not on the farm. At the age of 18 I learned the shoemaker's trade of my brother, Samuel and work at it winters mostly for 12 years.

I was religiously inclined from a boy. At the age of 12 years I ran away, against the will of my father, from the old Presbyterian meeting to hear Elder Robinson, a Freewill Baptist. He called on sinners to repent and turn to God. I felt alarmed and sought earnestly to the Lord for a forgiveness of my sins and I thought that I did obtain it but having no one to assist me after about one year I returned to my former practices and was more profane than ever.

At the age of 16 I had the whooping cough which continued for three winters which so affected my lungs that they have never become sound again.

When I was about 19 years old Elder Watt of the Methodist Episcopal Church came to our place and soon for up quite an excitement and organized a church consisting of my oldest brothers, myself and three others which in a few years increased to about 70 members. I held the office of steward and class leader for 6 or 7 years.

In 1834, being 21 years old I joined the Bradford Light Infantry. The second time that I trained I was chosen second Corporal. I rose up to orderly Sergeant in about two years which office I held five years until I left the Company. I did not miss but two trainings or drills for 7 years.

On 17 March 1835, the day I was 22 years old I was married to Sarah Clark, daughter of Theodore Parker, by the Reverend Gardner B. Perry. In April 1835, my father died at the age of 62 years.

On 6 Nov, I united with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and was baptized by Leonard W. Hardy. I was ordained a teacher 22 March 1844, under the hands of Noah Packard (High Priest) and Elder Nathaniel Holmes. On 22 September 1846, at a Conference held in Bradford at the house of Samuel B. Hardy, Ezra T. Benson, one of the Twelve presiding, Nathaniel Holmes the Presiding Elder of the Branch was cut off from the church for preaching Strangism and he took over half of the branch with him. I was appointed one of the committee to demand his License which he refused to give up.

On 4 September 1847, I was ordained a Priest under the hands of Leonard W. Hardy, President of the Branch and Abram D. Boyton, Elder. On 16 May 1848, I was ordained an Elder under the hands of Leonard W. Hardy, President of the State of Massachusetts and was called and set apart by him to preside over the Bradford Branch which office I held until I left for the west. On 7 April 1850, I baptized five persons and on 1 May, I baptized one person, and on 10 May, I left for the west.

On 3 June, I arrived at Columbus, Buchanan County, Missouri where I stayed 23 months and worked most of the time in a saw mill for 30 dollars per month, by which I got a comfortable outfit for the exodus to the Valley of Salt Lake, not with standing I and my family had a great deal of sickness.

On 20 Feb 1851, Brother Thomas McKenzie called the Saints together at my house and organized a branch consisting of 7 members. I was appointed to preside over the same with orders to hold meetings every Sabbath day which was carried out while I stayed there. On 22 March, I baptized 6 persons. On 22 November, at 11:30 p.m. my son Hyrum Haven died from the effects of calomel. On 29 April, 1852, I left Columbus, Missouri for the Salt Lake Valley.

On 29 May, I was appointed clerk of the first Ten, James Bay being the captain. That same day we crossed the Missouri River. On 16 August 1852, Brother Samuel Hardy met us at Echo Canyon and helped us in to the Valley. On 20 August 1852, we arrived safely at Great Salt Lake having had a very pleasant journey across the plains.

On 22 August 1852, I received a blessing under the hands of Father John Smith, Patriarch. On 29 Aug, I was ordained and received into the 29th Quorum of Seventies under the hands of Augustus Farnham and Samuel B. Hardy. On 14 February 1852, I was present at the breaking up of the ground for the foundation of the Temple in Great Salt Lake City.

In April 1853, I was appointed one of the city police, Leonard W. Hardy being the captain. Soon after I was appointed to preside in his absence which office I held for about 6 years. In 1853, I was present with the police at the laying of the Corner Stones of the Temple in Salt Lake.

In May 1853, I was received into the first Independent Rifle Company, Leonard W. Hardy, Captain, I was soon after elected first Sergeant of said company. On 16 July 1854, I was elected first Lieutenant which office I held until the reorganization of the Nauvoo Legion when I was appointed Adjutant to Samuel B. Hardy, Major.

In 10 March 1855, I received my Endowments in the Council House, Samuel Sprague and Wilford Woodruff officiating. In 1855, my wife Sarah and I were sealed in the Council House by Heber C. Kimball.

On 15 September 1855, I attended with the company as a military guard the execution of two Indians by the hanging for the murder of two boys by the name of weeks.

On 1 April 1856, I was called by Bishop Leonard W. Hardy to be his first Councilor.

On 15 March 1856, I dug one and one half bushels of roots for food, bread being very scarce.

On 19 October 1856, I was re-baptized in the font by Leonard W. Hardy, confirmed and ordained a High Priest and set apart to by the first councilor to Leonard W. Hardy, under the hands of Bishop Edward Hunter and his councilors, Leonard W. Hardy and Jesse C. Little.

On 4 December 1857, I attended the funeral of Jediah M. Grant, in a Military capacity.

On 25 October 1857, Ann Denston was sealed to me by Brigham Young

On 17 March 1858, I went with my wife, Ann to the House of the Lord. She received her Endowments when Sarah and Ann was sealed to me on the Alter by Brigham Young.

On 3 May 1858, I started with a part of my family for the south going as far as Spanish Fork.

On 17 July 1858, We arrived home with our last load from the south.

On 2 April 1860, I was received into Brother A. P. Rockwood's Circle.

Continuing the history of Josiah Guile Hardy, he was called to assist in settling Utah's Dixie, where he resided for many years, leaving his family in Salt Lake, due to the ill health of his wife, Sarah Parker Hardy. It was while at Dixie that he entered the covenant of polygamy with Ann Taylor and at the Mormon migration to Mexico, he and his second wife made that southern country their home, until their death, he passing on the 12th of January 1894 and she at a later date.

Sarah Parker Hardy, his first wife, continued to reside in Salt Lake City until 1893 when she went to St. George on a visit to her son Warren and died there on Christmas Day of the same year. Her birth took place at Bradford, Essex County, Massachusetts, 30 March 1815 the daughter of Theodore and Mary Marden.

The marriage of Josiah Guile Hardy and Sarah Clark Parker was consummated in Massachusetts and six children were born to them before coming to Utah in 1852. They settled in the 12th Ward. Due to ill health, Sister Hardy was forced to spend most of her time in bed. However, three children were born to them after coming to Utah. She was also of the pioneer type, full of faith in the gospel and her long illness seemed to give root to a greater faith as her years advanced.

During his call to Dixie there were the cricket invasions and other hardships that he lived through with his families.

It was not until St. George was established that he was called to Dixie to reinforce the town and strengthen it. He worked on the Tabernacle as a turner on a woodwork and he worked on the Temple from start to finish as a carpenter. When the Tabernacle was finished, the call came from President Erastus Snow for donation so that the building could be dedicated with our debt. Josiah donated $5,000 of his wages to this cause.

Family links:

  • Sarah Clark Parker Hardy (1815 - 1893)

Burial: Pacheco (Mormon Colonies) Galeana Morelos, Mexico

view all

Josiah Guile Hardy's Timeline

March 17, 1813
Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts
September 3, 1840
Age 27
Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
April 8, 1855
Age 42
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
December 2, 1863
Age 50
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
January 12, 1894
Age 80
Colonia Pacheco, Chihuahua, Mexico
Galeana Morelos, Chihuahua, Mexico