Mary Mason (Wise)
|Birthplace:||of, Sudbury, Suffolk , England|
|Death:||Died in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Erica "the Disconnectrix" Howton|
Matching family tree profiles for Mary Mason
About Mary Mason
- b.est 1604
- d.Apr 1637 Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States
- Father Unknown Wise bef 1575 - bef 1635
- Mother Elizabeth Unknown bef 1580 - 1637 m. bef 1600
- Sister Elizabeth Wise est 1600 - 1638 Married Capt Joseph Weld
- Marriage 15 Apr 1624 Sudbury, Suffolk, England All Saints to Robert Mason ( est 1599 - 1667)
- John Mason 1625 - 1688/89. Married Mary Eaton.
- Robert Mason 1628 - 1700. Married Abigail Eaton.
- Thomas Mason est 1630 - 1675/76. Married Margaret Partridge.
From TAG 55:149
Inasmuch as the family of Joseph Weld lived in Sudbury, Suffolk, prior to their departure for New England, it was deemed expedient to have that parish's records checked for any reference to the surname Wise. Accoridingly a search was made and it produced the following entries pertaining to the Wise family, nothing pertinent being found excepting the following in a MS transcript of the original parish register checked for 1564-1640, of All Saints, Sudbury:
- 10 July 1625 John son of Robert Mason
- 10 Feb. 1628 Robert son of Robert Maso'n
- 11Oct. 1620 Joseph Wellds and Elizabeth Wise
- 15Apr. 1624 Robert Mason and Marie Wise
The above parish records tell us only that Marie Wise, a possible sister of Elizabeth (Wise) Weld, married in 1624, in All Saints', Sudbury, Robert Mason, by whom she had two sons, John, christened in 1625, and Robert, christened in 1628. This would hardly seem like an encouraging finding. However, by checking Pope's Pioneers of Massachusetts, the following was found:
"Mason, Robert, Roxbury; his wife was buried in April, 1637. He sold his lands in Roxbury, November 24, 1640. Removed to Dedham, Proprietor 29 (9) 1639. Mortgaged dwelling house and lands Feb. 2,1646. John Mason of Dedham, Robert and Thomas Mason of Medfield, gave bond 14 Nov. 1667, to administer on,the estate of their father Robert Mascn of Dedham."
This Robert Mason who settled at Roxbury and Dedham, Mass., is almost certainly identical with the Robert Mason who married Marie Wise above. Thus, it appears that not only Joseph Weld's mother-in-law immigrated to New England but also his sister-in-law and her husband and two sons.
- 1.0 1.1 Elizabeth Wise, in Anderson, Robert Charles; George F. Sanborn; and Melinde Lutz Sanborn. The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635. (NEHGS, 1999-2011), VII:488. Mary Wise, b. say 1604.
- ↑ 1 Robert Mason, in Mason, William L. (William Lyman). A record of the descendants of Robert Mason of Roxbury, Mass: including representatives of Dedham, Medfield, Northfield, Barre, Worcester, Sturbridge, Medway, Shrewsbury, Hubbardstown, Boston, Mass., New York City, Orange, N.J., Brunswick, Maine, Cincinnati, Ohio, and Washington, D.C. (Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Burdick Armitage & Allen, printers, 1891), p 9. His wife died at Roxbury in April, 1637.
- ↑ Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States. Vital Records of Roxbury, Massachusetts, to the End of the Year 1849. (Salem, Massachusetts: Essex Institute, 1925-1926), 2:588. Mason, -----, w. Robert, bur. Apr. --, 1637.
(I) Robert Mason, the immigrant ancestor, was born in England, about 1590. He was doubtless one of John Winthrop's company, which settled in Roxbury in 1630. Later he moved to Dedham, Massachusetts, where he was an original landholder in 1642. He died at Dedham, October 15, 1667, and his wife died in Roxbury, in April, 1637.
Children: Thomas, mentioned below; John, Robert.
- New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding of a Nation, Volume 4 (Google eBook). William Richard Cutter . Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1914 - New England - 2149 pages. Page 2095
Mary Mason's Timeline
Sudbury, Suffolk , England
July 10, 1625
Sudbury, Suffolk, England
February 10, 1628
Sudbury, Suffolk, England
Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts