R. Ernest Graham

Is your surname Graham?

Research the Graham family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Rembert Ernest Graham

Birthplace: Davis Station, Clarendon, South Carolina, United States
Death: June 08, 1998 (82)
Winnsboro, Fairfield, South Carolina, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of John Christopher Graham, II and Frances Oralee Graham Powell (Jones)
Ex-husband of Hazel Lucille Graham Laughinghouse
Father of Private User; Private User; Private User; Catherine Elizabeth Branham; Marie Reed and 2 others
Brother of William Franklin Graham and Lewis Scott Graham

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:
view all 13

Immediate Family

About R. Ernest Graham

History, Memories, Remarks, & Tribute by James C. Graham (Jimmy) at Daddy's FUNERAL, June 10, 1997 :


I have many memories of my Daddy, and I spoke at his funeral because I knew him best, and in ways that most people never experienced. I have always had a special and personal relationship with him. He was my friend, as well as my Father, and in many ways, almost like my oldest son. I will tell you about him as he really was, before his stroke, and without the mortal infirmities of health and old age.

If we are to be judged in part, by the desires of our heart, then Daddy will surely stand in the presence of God, and his family and friends.

Daddy loved the Savior, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He echoed his testimony of Christ among us until his death on June 8, 1997 even with his limitations of speech.

Daddy was born at his home in Davis Station, South Carolina on June 22, 1915. The doctor came to their house in an old horse and buggy to deliver him into this world. That house was later destroyed by fire, while Daddy was a young child. His mother, Frances Oralee Jones Powell rescued him from the fire, while he was taking a nap.

He never knew his father, John Christopher Graham, because he died when Daddy was only about 1 ½ years old.

He was born through the blood of righteous, and religious and honorable men and women. He was the youngest of 8 children.

Daddy graduated from Brookland-Cayce High School in 1934, and began to work in an electrical shop. His interest and knowledge about radios and electronics was to guide his employment opportunities until he joined the Marines in 1942.

He was called in the Pre-mortal life, and was prepared in his youth to hear and accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ. At the age of 22, he met the missionaries, and was attracted to the truth as it was revealed to him.

He took a walk on night in the moonlight, and as he looked up into the Heavens, he prayed to the Lord to give him guidance, and to give him wisdom. He said that as he prayed to the Lord, there came over him that sweet and wonderful feeling, that he was right in having such a great interest in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Shortly after that silent and private conversation process, Daddy fully accepted the Gospel and was baptized September 26, 1937 by Elder Merrill J. Wood. He answered the call from the Lord and never looked back.

Soon after he joined the church, Daddy was under the inspiration and encouragement and the influence of a new life in church. He took upon himself the responsibility of building a little house for his widowed mother. Daddy was always concerned for the feelings and welfare of his good and faithful mother, Grandma Powell. He was a man of very tender feelings, and tried to put others at ease.

Daddy’s first church calling was 1st counselor in the Sunday School Presidency. Then he was called to be the Young Men’s President in the Columbia Branch. He also served as a District Councilman.

Mama and Daddy were married in 1942 and they had 7 children. When Gayle started the 1st grade, Daddy registered at the University of S.C. as a freshman. He graduated from Law School in 1953, just after Susan was born.

Daddy had a serious stroke in 1964 at the age of 48, which left him without the ability to speak, for the most part, except for a few words. But still he bore his testimony every chance he had, even though his speech was extremely limited, and difficult to understand by those who did not know him well.

Daddy was a stalwart Pioneer here in the South, and was a powerful influence in building up the Stake here in S.C.

He served as the Branch President of the Columbia Branch, when there was not yet even a Ward in all of Columbia.

He was a member of the original Stake High Council since the day the Stake was organized in 1947, which was the year I was born. Most of his church service years were spent on the High Council, where is served faithfully for 15 consecutive years.

Daddy was then called as a counselor in the Stake Presidency where he was extremely faithful in his many responsibilities.

After his stroke in 1964, Daddy received an honorable release from the Presidency. During all of these years, Daddy was devoted to the cause of building up the Stake, and adding to the stability of the church in S.C.

Daddy raised our family in the Church, and we knew no different way of life. He did much good, which was known by those around him, but he did more good in silence, which was known only to those he served and to God.

Daddy had an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, and an uncontrollable appetite for service. He accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which he learned. He first studied it out in his mind, and then humbly taught it to others, as long as he had his powers of speech.

He sat in comparative total silence for 33 years, among those whom he loved, and among whom he served. Stricken with frustrating silence at the comparatively young are of 48, Daddy bore his burden as well as he was able to do so.

Years ago, I searched through some old reel-to-reel tapes of old conference meetings, which had been recorded and saved by Brother Edward R. Bass. And I extracted out Daddy’s old church talks, which I had heard him give at church in years gone by.

I then presented these surprise tapes to Daddy, and he again heard his own voice, preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which he loved so much. And we both broke down and wept together.

It had been some 20+ years, since he had heard himself speak in full sentences, and a great part of his life was clearly restored in his memory.

The severe stroke changed the physical course of Daddy’s active life. It had a great effect on his body, and an unmeasured effect on his mind. But nothing was ever able to change the righteous desires of his heart.

When it came to the love of the people he had served, his heart remained pure, in spite of any mortal weakness he may have had.

Daddy did not let himself get so caught up in the ways of the world, but he trained his mind and his heart as directed by the commandments of the Lord.

The Lord knew Daddy personally, and He knew that he was mortal, and would make mistakes. So he provided for him a Savior, who is the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord gives us every opportunity and encouragement to make the best of our set of circumstances, what ever they are.

Daddy not only understood the Plan of Salvation, but he taught it to others. And the spiritual domino effect of Daddy’s good works will never end. The actual effect for good that he has had on my life, and the lives of others, is impossible to measure in this life, but it will surely be measured by the Lord, who knows all things. I will stand at the last day beside my Daddy, and will offer myself as a witness for him, for I have seen his actions.

One of my many memories is when we traveled together. Years ago, when he was a member of the Stake High Council, and Andrew and I were small, Daddy would take us with him sometimes when he traveled to the different Wards and Branches on church business. I later had the unique privilege to take him with me many times, when I went on assignments as a member of the High Council.

Daddy was a man of honor and dignity and a gentle man. We laughed and cried and rejoiced and knelt together in prayer many times. We talked about the important things of eternity, and he helped me to build a foundation on faith.

Daddy understood that he and all have sinned, and all come short of the glory of God. He understood repentance, and accepted the invitation to come unto Christ. He was as humble as a little child, and he yielded himself to the Priesthood authority of the Church, both as to discipline, and also to the blessing of his life.

Daddy showed us the way to live, as he committed his life to Christ, because he understood the goals of Eternal Life. Daddy was a good man, and he will receive a Glory, which was promised by the Lord. And that will be more glorious than anything that this world has to offer will.

Daddy is now gone away, to the land of Eternity. He has left us here, and we must now prepare ourselves to go meet him. It now becomes our challenge to rededicate ourselves, and be prepared to stand with dignity, and with honor, as we see him again at a future time.

When the great scales of justice and mercy are weighted, the balances of love, forgiveness, and mercy will surely tip the balance in his favor.

In his final years, Daddy became as a little child in many ways. This journey should lead him as an innocent child, to a final state of eternal happiness, and unspeakable joy, with our Father and Mother in Heaven.

Daddy has now passed on, from this frail and mortal state. Freed from the pains, and the sorrows of mortality. He has now entered into the Paradise of that merciful and loving God, whom he loved so much.

Daddy is now released, after many years of mortal bondage. Free again to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which never left his heart.

Daddy’s gift to us, is our memory of him.

I believe Daddy is in this room today, and so I say farewell.

“Onward, onward”, Daddy… “Better all the time”…

“Go on home now… Home, home, home”…

“I miss you already, you are my friend… I love you Daddy.” Love, Jimmy


view all 13

R. Ernest Graham's Timeline

June 22, 1915
Davis Station, Clarendon, South Carolina, United States
June 8, 1998
Age 82
Winnsboro, Fairfield, South Carolina, United States