|Also Known As:||"Tibbot-ny-Lung", "Tibbot of the Ships"|
|Birthplace:||Rockfleet Castle, Ballyveaghan, County Mayo, Connacht, Ireland|
|Place of Burial:||Ballintubber, County Mayo, Connaught, Ireland|
Son of Sir Risdeárd an Iarainn Bourke, 18th Mac William Iochtar and Gráinne Ní Mháille, Sea Queen of Connacht
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Sir Theobald Bourke, 1st Viscount Mayo
About Sir Theobald Bourke, 1st Viscount Mayo
From Darryl Lundy's Peerage page of Theobald Bourke:
Theobald Bourke, 1st Viscount Mayo 
- M, #102604,
- b. before 1583,
- d. 18 June 1629
- Last Edited=16 Aug 2009
Theobald Bourke, 1st Viscount Mayo was born at sea before 1583. He was the son of Sir Richard Bourke and Grace O'Malley.
(Ben M. Angel notes: Given that Grace married Richard for "one year certain" in 1566, and promptly divorced Richard at the end of that year after seizing his Rockfleet Castle, Tibbot had to have been born sometime around 1567.)
He married Maud Sligo, daughter of Charles O'Connor Sligo.
He died on 18 June 1629. He was buried at Ballintober, County Mayo, Ireland.
Theobald Bourke, 1st Viscount Mayo also went by the nick-name of Tibbot-ny-Lung (or in English, Tibbot of the ships).
In 1599 he supported the Crown against the Spaniards at Kinsale.
He was invested as a Knight on 4 January 1602/3 at Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland.
On 25 September 1603 he surrendered his estates, and obtained a regrant under English tenure.
He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for County Mayo between 1613 and 1615.
He was created 1st Viscount Mayo [Ireland] on 21 June 1627.
Children of Theobald Bourke, 1st Viscount Mayo
- 1. Richard Bourke+
- 2. Hon. David Bourke+
Child of Theobald Bourke, 1st Viscount Mayo and Maud Sligo
- 1. Miles Bourke, 2nd Viscount Mayo+ d. 1649
- 1. [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume VIII, page 604. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2. [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume VIII, page 605.
- 3. [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume VIII, page 607.
- 4. [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1147. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.