About Thomas Gillespie
THOMAS GILLESPIE and his wife ELEANOR, about 1745, settled on Stuart Creek, a branch of the Cowpasture River, north of Clifton Forge, VA.
This particular Thomas died about 1790. His WILL in Augusta County, VA names most of their children:
- 1 JOHN (1743-1815)
- 2 MARY (wife of Charles Donally of Greenbrier Co, WV),
- 3 HUGH (died 1777)
- 4 HANNAH (wife of Robert Jones),
- 4 THOMAS Jr. (moved to Greenbrier Co, WV)
- 5 JEAN (b 1751c)
- 6 JACOB (husband of Rebecca Berry)
- 6 SAMUEL (husband of Elizabeth Blake)
- 8 JAMES (1757c - 1790)
- 7 WILLIAM (husband of Margaret Eddy)
- 10 ELEANOR (b 1760c)
- 11 ANN (wife of Benjamin Williby).
It is important not to confuse this Thomas or his family with others of similar names in Blount County TN, Washington County TN, Rowan County NC, or his own evident relations downstream on the Cowpasture River descended from Robert of Clifton Forge, or the nearby William and wife Mary.
Thomas Gillespie's Timeline
Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland
Bath, Augusta, Virginia, USA
Augusta, Virginia, USA
Augusta, VA, USA
December 15, 1796
Cowpasture River, Augusta, Virginia, USA