Matching family tree profiles for Zachariah Seymour
About Zachariah Seymour
- The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884; (1886) Vol. I
- RICHARD SEYMOUR, Hartford, 1639 ; one of those settlers who received land "by the courtesie of the town ; " his home-lot was on the east side of the road to the Cow Pasture (North Main St.), and was bounded on the north by the Cow Pasture itself ; chosen chimney-viewer, 1647 ; he was one of the signers of the agreement for planting Norwalk, June 19, 1650, and was there soon after, with the first planters; townsman at Norwalk, 1655; d. in 1655 ; will dated July 29, proved Oct. 25, 1655 ; inv., Oct 10, 1655, £225. 9. He mentions his wife, Mercy, eldest son, Thomas, "three other sons," John, Zachary, and Richard, the latter three being under age, and left to their mother's guardianship. She m. (2) Nov. 25, 1655, John Steele, of Farmington. — Ch. : i. Thomas, one of the early settlers of Norwalk ; m. (1) Jan., 1663-4, Hannah, dau. of Matthew Marvin, of Norwalk; freeman, 1668; deputy from Norwalk, 1690 ; one of the patentees of 1686 ; and in 1687 had an estate of £184. He m. (2) Elizabeth, named in his will. He d. in 1712 ; will dated Sept 22 ; proved Nov. 7, 1712, sealed with the above coat of arms.(1) ii. John, was in Hartford as early as 1664, and m., probably not long after, Mary, dau. of John Watson, of Hartford ; freeman, 1667. He was a member, though not in full communion, of the South Church, when it was formed, Feb. 12,1670. He d. 1713; will dated Dec. 10, 1712; proved, Aug. 3, 1713; inv. £1158. 14. 01. iii. Zachariah, b. 1642 ; freeman, Farmington, 1669 ; from the record of law-suits in the County Court proceedings it is evident that he was engaged in trade with Barbadoes ; he removed to Wethersfield and m. there, Feb. 9, 1688, Mary, dau. of widow Mary Gritt ; d. in Wethersfield, Aug. 1702, a. 60 ; inv. £200. 4. 3. iv. Richard, freeman, Farmington, 1669 ; one of the 84 proprietors, of 1672; the leader of the Great Swamp settlement in 1686 (Kensington), and captain of the fort. He m. Hannah, dau. of Matthew Woodruff, of Farmington.(3) He was killed by the fall of a tree in 1710; inv. presented Nov. 29, 1710, £416. 15. 3. — Ex-Gov. Horatio Seymour, of New York, the Hon. Origen S. Seymour, of Litchfield, and Gov. Thomas H. Seymour, of Hartford, were descendants of John Seymour, of H., who is the ancestor of nearly all of the name in this vicinity.
- Genealogy of the descendants of Richard Seymour, from the first settlement of Hartford, Conn. in 1635 (1880)
- RICHARD SEYMOUR.— One of the original settlers of Hartford, Ct., and as such his name appears on a monument erected in 1837 to the memory of the forefathers of the city in the ancient burying ground. His house was on Burr St. He probably came with Mr. Hooker's congregation from Chelmsford, Essex County, England. The history of this embryo republic (Mr. H's congregation) is given in Mr. Trumbull's History of Connecticut. They first settled in Cambridge, Mass., but thinking to better themselves, removed to Hartford in 1639. He went from there to Norwalk in 1653 and died in 1655.
- He left four sons :
- Thomas, John, Zachariah, Richard.
- SECOND GENERATION.
- THOMAS married H. Marvin in 1653. His children were:
- Hannah, Mary, Thomas, Mathew, Abigail, Sarah, Mercy, Elizabeth, Rebecca.
- JOHN married M. Watson, lived in Hartford, on the south side of Little River. He died in 1713. His age is not known, but his will, dated in 1712, which is preserved in the Probate office, speaks of his being advanced in life. His children were:
- John, Margaret, Richard, Zachary, Mary, Thomas, Jonathan, Nathaniel.
- ZACHARIAH married and had four children whose names are not given.
- RICHARD married and had three sons:
- Samuel, Richard, John.
- THIRD GENERATION.
- JOHN married E. Webster in 1643. Their children were:
- John, Jonathan, Zebulon, Daniel, Nathaniel, Moses, Timothy, Susanna, Richard, Elizabeth, Margaret.
- MARY and MARGARET not given.
- THOMAS married R. Norton, and after her death M. Waters. Their children were:
- Mary, Thomas, Sarah, Jerusha, Ruth, Basil, Alice.
- RICHARD married M. Wilson. No children given.
- JONATHAN ____.
- ZACHARY married H. Olmstead.
- NATHANIEL married and had three children:
- Hannah, Zachariah, Rebecca.
- GRITT, Mary
- Marriage: 9 FEB 1687/8 Wethersfield, Hartford, CT.
- Spouse: SEYMOUR, Zachariah
- b. ABT 1642 Hartford, CT.
- d. AUG 1702 Wethersfield, Hartford, CT.
- Father: SEYMOUR, Richard
- Mother: RUSCOE, Mercy
- SEYMOUR, Mary
- SEYMOUR, Elizabeth
- SEYMOUR, Abigail
- SEYMOUR, Ruth
- Marriage: ABT 1704
- Spouse: HOLLISTER, Joseph
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_4.htm#201
- Zachariah Seymour
- Birth: 1642 Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Death: Aug., 1702 Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Zachariah SEYMOUR
- B: 1642 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
- D: Aug 1702 Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
- M: 9 Feb 1688 Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
- Family links:
- Richard Seymour (1604 - 1655)
- Mercy Ruscoe Seymour (____ - 1655)
- Mary Gritt Seymour (1644 - 1702)
- Ruth Seymour Deming (1699 - 1754)*
- Burial: Unknown
- Find A Grave Memorial# 52535116
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=52535116
- NOT THE CORRECT PARENTS FOR RICHARD SEYMOUR SEE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Edward_Seymour,_1st_Baronet
- Richard SEYMOUR
- Born: 1596, Berry Pomeroy, Devonshire, England
- Died: 25 Nov 1655
- Notes: Although not an original proprietor, Richard Seymour was an early settler of Hartford, his name first appearing there in 1639. (After settling his father's estate in England, he undoubtedly came to Hartford to live with his former friends and neighbors.) His lot was no. 70, on the north side, near the cow pasture. He was elected chimney-viewer in 1647. ABT 1650, Richard Seymour's family moved from Hartford to Norwalk. Seymour's will is dated 29 Jul 1655. Richard came to America about 1638-9, probably after settling his father's estate.
- Father: Edward SEYMOUR (1° Bt of Berry Pomeroy MP)
- Mother: Elizabeth CHAMPERNOWNE
- Married: Mercy (RUSCOE) RASHLEIGH 18 Apr 1631, Sawbridgeworth, Hertford, England
- 1. Richard SEYMOUR
- 2. Mary SEYMOUR
- 3. Zacharia SEYMOUR
- 4. Thomas SEYMOUR
- 5. Mercy SEYMOUR
- 6. John SEYMOUR
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SEYMOUR.htm#Richard SEYMOUR2
Zachariah SEYMOUR B: 1642 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut D: Aug 1702 Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut M: 9 Feb 1688 Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
Zachariah Seymour's Timeline
Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States
Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
January 26, 1688
Wethersfield, Connecticut, USA
January 28, 1692
Wethersfield, CT, USA
May 15, 1694
Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
April 10, 1699
Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States
Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States
November 15, 1930