Godgifu - The mother of Siward's son, Osbeorn?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, September 13, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
9/13/2012 at 9:12 AM

I think this is quite likely to have been the mother of Osbeorn

*If the story of Osbjorn's death as a boy at the hand of Macbeth in 1054 is true, then Osbjorn is born c 1039

*For Ælflæd (Siward's 2nd wife) to be his mother, she must be married to Siward Biornsson, Earl of Northumbria in c1038 at 18 - which puts her birth date at c 1020.

*This makes Aeflaed’s father - Ealdred, Earl of Northumbria & Bernicia 's age at her birth, only about 14yrs - given the likely date for his parents’ divorce as c 1007.

All possible; especially as based on so many estimated dates – but close enough to make a good case for Osbjorn’s being a child of Siward’s first marriage, to Godgifu of Northumbria Godgifu.

9/14/2012 at 12:54 AM

If so, then perhaps we can add the much discussed (Suthen; Sybilla) sister of Siward; (wife of Duncan) as a child of this woman too - and presume that Siward is an old man when he has his second family.
I'm not actually sure if this would fix the present age-range impossibility of a daughter (not a sister) of Siward marrying Duncan - so it's just a thought that I'm recording to come back to.

On which thought - perhaps Osbeorn, Siward's son (presuming he did exist) - is actually an adult man when he dies in battle against Macbeth & his father is allegedly comforted by the fact that he was wounded in the front not the back).

This would make Siward much older when he dies of dysentry a year later (allegedly refusing to die, lying down - but insisting on having his boots on when he dies :-).
Which, to my mind, is a bit more commensurate with a man who is able to impress Cnut and hold the heavily contested area of southern Northumbria from before 1030 (possibly as early as 1023) - Not something a young man would have found so easy to do, I think - even if he was a huge 'bear' of a man in stature.

9/14/2012 at 12:59 AM

Oh I didn't highlight the profile of Sybil Biornsson - daughter, sister, cousin of Siward, for whom we presently have a 'duplicate' place-holder profile: Suthen Sibylla of Northumbria as the wife of Duncan I, King of Scots.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion