Sharon Lee Doubell
|Current Location::||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Birthplace:||Johannesburg, GP, South Africa|
About Sharon Doubell
“I believe we inherit a great river of knowledge, a flow of patterns coming from many sources. The information that comes from deep in the evolutionary past we call genetics. The information passed along from hundreds of years ago we call culture. The information passed along from decades ago we call family, and the information offered months ago we call education. But it is all information that flows through us. The brain is adapted to the river of knowledge and exists only as a creature in that river. Our thoughts are profoundly moulded by this long historic flow, and none of us exists, self-made, in isolation from it.” David Brooks
The Story Teller
(We Are The Chosen)
My feelings are in each family there is one who seems called to find the ancestors. To put flesh on their bones and make them live again, To tell the family story and to feel that somehow they know and approve.
To me, doing genealogy is not a cold gathering of facts but, instead, Breathing life into all who have gone before. We are the story tellers of the tribe. We have been called as it were by our genes. Those who have gone before cry out to us: "Tell our story." So we do.
In finding them, we somehow find ourselves. How many graves have I stood before now and cried. I have lost count. How many times have I told the ancestors you have a wonderful family, you would be proud of us. How many times have I walked up to a grave and felt somehow there was love there for me. I cannot say.
It goes beyond just documenting facts. It goes to who I am and why I do the things I do.
It goes to seeing a cemetery about to be lost forever to weeds and indifference and saying I can’t let this happen. The bones here are bones of my bone and flesh of my flesh. It goes to doing something about it.
It goes to pride in what our ancestors were able to accomplish. How they contributed to what we are today.
It goes to respecting their hardships and losses, their never giving in or giving up. Their resoluteness to go on and build a life for their family.
It goes to deep pride that they fought to make and keep us a Nation. It goes to a deep and immense understanding that they were doing it for us
That we might be born who we are. That we might remember them. So we do.
With love and caring and scribing each fact of their existence, Because we are them and they are us.
So, as scribe called, I tell the story of my family. It is up to that one called in the next generation, To answer the call and take their place in the long line of family storytellers.
That is why I do my family genealogy, And that is what calls those young and old to step up and put flesh on the bones.
~ by Della M. Cummings Wright and re-written by her grand daughter, Della JoAnn McGinnis Johnson~
1820 Settler Progenitors:
- Francis Turner Hulley– great grandfather - Richardson's Party
- Elizabeth Wright, SM/PROG– 2nd great grandmother - Carton's Party
- Joseph Wright, SV/PROG – 2nd great grandfather - Calton's Party
- Ann Sarah Hulley, SM/PROG – 2nd great grandmother - Richardson's Party
- Richard William Hulley, SV/PROG – 2nd great grandfather - Richardson's Party
- Michael George Doubell, SV/PROG - great grandfather
- William Howard, SV/PROG – 2nd great grandfather - Howard's Party
French Huguenot Progenitors:
- Jannetje de Clercq, a3 SM – 6th great grandmother
- André Gauch, SV/PROG – 6th great grandfather
- Guillaume Nel, SV/PROG 1 – 6th great grandfather
- Jeanne de la Batte, SM/PROG– 6th great grandmother
- Louis Fourie, SV/PROG – 6th great grandfather
- Suzanne Cordier, b1 SM – 6th great grandmother
- Louis Cordier, SV/PROG – 7th great grandfather
- Sara Barendsz Cochet, SM/PROG – 7th great grandmother
- Francoise Martinet, SM/PROG– 7th great grandmother
- Louis Cordier, Snr – 8th great grandfather
- Jan Abrahamse van de Cust, SV/PROG – 3rd great grandfather
- Rosina van de Caab, SM– 3rd great grandmother
- Catharina van Malabar, SM/PROG – 5th great grandmother
- Lysbeth van Bengale, SM/PROG – 6th great grand mother
- Maria Louisz, SM – 6th great grandmother
- Louis van Bengale, SV/PROG– 7th great grandfather
- Lijsbeth Sanders, SM – 7th great grandmother
- Lijsbeth Arabus, SM/PROG – 8th great grandmother