Removing duplicates

Started by Cynthia Irene Goehring on Thursday, October 18, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
10/18/2012 at 5:32 PM

Somehow I duplicated a brother and sister set in my family tree: Heinrich Margreiter and Anna Margreiter (Schintzl). I can't delete only one set by removing their connected relatives because it would cause my entire tree to be destroyed. Please help. Heinrich Margreiter Anna Margreiter (Schinzel)

Thank you.

10/18/2012 at 6:19 PM

Cynthia Irene Goehring
The two profiles you have listed in your post are both Priavte profiles so no one outside of your Family Group can look at them unless you change their settings to Public profiles.

Having said that when you look at the family in Tree View you should see that each Node (person) has a little X in the top right corner. Pushing that X will take you to a menu to delete that person.
Another option is to Merge the two Heinrich profiles into one person and the two Anna profiles into one person, but again this is not somethinmg that we can do for you while they are set to Private.

10/19/2012 at 4:48 PM

Thank you, Alex. I'm going to set the profiles to public so I can get your help! I'm not very facile with this! Cindy

10/25/2012 at 8:01 PM

Hi Cynthia Irene Goehring,
Setting them to public made the situation a bit clearer but i am not able to correct it for you.
From what i can see it seems that Heinrich and Anna are brother and sister but also married (frowned on by most societies).
Try the following and see if it fixes things:
Go to Heinrich's tree:
http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000017719971759

Go to the profile for his wife Anna and click the MoreV button.
Choose the "Move this person" option, another copy of Anna will float in the top right corner of your screen.
Drag and drop this new Anna over the top of his sister Anna.
Geni will then ask you how the two Annas are related, choose the last option "They're the same person".
Geni should then prompt you to reslove data conflicts caused by this merge, just follow the prompts it is quite simple.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Good luck

10/25/2012 at 10:13 PM

It's also possible to under the "Relation"-button choose the correct parents and correct wife/husband. (I think one does not need to remove any person then).

11/14/2012 at 5:41 PM

Hi Alex Moes I've tried everything suggested! No luck. When I choose the "Move this person" option, the floating Anna will not stay on the Anna in the tree. It's automatically rejected and the icon flies back to the "Move" box in the upper right-hand corner. Sorry about my non-techno language. Any other ideas?

11/14/2012 at 5:41 PM

Hi Agneta Åhrberg. Thank you for your idea. It didn't work. I appreciate your help nonetheless.

11/14/2012 at 9:19 PM

I've corrected something similar. Enter a dummy name in for each of the parents. Then on the relationship area disconnect the one without a sibline from the parents. then go back and delete the the dummy parents names.

Private User
11/14/2012 at 10:33 PM

Cynthia Irene Goehring, - A quick look on the tree shows that Anna Margreiter (Schinzel) is connected both as a wife and sister of Heinrich Margreiter. Based on the names I assume the sister connection is wrong.

Just open Anna Margreiter (Schinzel)'s profile, click Edit Profile and then on the Relationships tab.

If you wait a while there will in a light-blue box pop up a list of connections with and offer to cut connections. Check-mark the parent connection and then click the [Remove] button below the check-marks(s) and you are done. A classical error here is that you click Save instead of Remove. Technically speaking you don't have to save this edit because clicking Remove is an immediate action.

To get a better overview and directly seeing the result you can execute this edit on the node in tree view.

Since you are on an unconnected tree you have to invite a Pro user or a curator as a collaborator if you want help to make this operation.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion