Is FABER a German Jewish surname, or just German in general?

Started by Christine Marcella DeVillier - Lim Thlel Yan 林小英 on Sunday, November 4, 2012
Showing all 4 posts

I've just learned that my paternal grandfather may have come from a German Jewish family whose original surname was Faber. I have evidence of his birth in Germany in or around Mannheim, Baden-wurttemburg, from a passenger list showing him, his brothers and their mother boarding a ship out of Hamburg, Germany, bound for South Africa while he was only two years old. They are using the surname Faber. My grandfather adopted a false surname when he left South Africa. I have not been able to find any other German or South African records or documents yet, and this branch of the family is kind of a mystery. I woud like to get the thoughts of anyone else who is familiar with the surname Faber in either South Africa or Germany, and if it applies to Jewish heritage or if anyone coming from Germany might have that name, regardless of Jewish heritage.
Thanks!

2/7/2021 at 9:55 PM

Hi Christine. I Just came accross this. My great grandmother was Faber, she was born in South Africa to a German Father, Franz Gustav Faber. I was able to trace the lineage a bit, and it seems they were definitely from a Jewish line. Were you able to find out more on your side of the Faber Family?

3/24/2021 at 4:40 PM

My grandfathers name was Faber, and his family was from Germany. We were told he was German-Jew. What year did your grandfather go to South Africa?

5/15/2021 at 6:59 PM

according to someone else's research, my ancestors were Maria Dorothea Faber born 1586 in Plossig Sashen-Anhalt Germany. she died in Brandenburg Germany in 1676/ she married martin, Schlegel. her father was Zachaus Faber, born in 1560 in the same place as his daughter.

has anyone traced their ancestry back that far? I am trying to find out if they had Jewish blood..

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion