Surname Guess? Cursive writing

Started by Jill Anne Bogdanowicz-Wilson on Saturday, January 12, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 15 posts
1/12/2013 at 4:50 PM

Anybody willing to take a look at this image:

http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000002083542194?photo_id=6000000...

and take a guess at the surname? It's Polish or Russian, I think.

I see "Cousin Jan Kunercitz" . I keep trying various spellings, double"r" instead of an "n", etc. to see if it rings a bell.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jill

Private User
1/12/2013 at 10:11 PM

Jill Anne Bogdanowicz-Wilson

Although it seems we have a 'collaboration' I can not see anything of the URL you posted, for I get ERROR, you are not authorised to see this... etc.
Is it deleted or is the manager of the photograph to far related of my contributions and not part of TBT:theBigTree perhaps? Or maybe it is a photograph that is part of some-one in YOUR FAMILY-circle? Hope someone can give some clues for then we can use this experience also to improve the use of GENI for others. But sorry, I can not help you.

1/13/2013 at 5:36 AM

Private User Ugh really!? No I screen captured the image and loaded it to my photos. I wonder if there's another way to do it? I'll look into it, thank your for even being willing to take a stab at it! :)

1/13/2013 at 5:49 AM

For anybody else who's willing to take a look go to my profile page, look at the Stats section right hand bottom section of page, look for "photos added........1" click on that and you should be able to see a small image of handwriting. It's the K name I'm looking to read after Cousin Jan part.
Thanks everyone!

Private User
1/13/2013 at 6:10 AM

Jill Anne Bogdanowicz-Wilson

I think you have to 'update' your personal settings, for even with this suggestion I can NOT see your MEDIA-attached to YOUR profile... But you are still alive, so that very HOPEFUL for OUR global privacy, don't you think?

1/13/2013 at 10:02 AM

Got it!

You need to post the direct link

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000019034164033

1/13/2013 at 10:23 AM

Erica Howton, Thank you! So the link to the document works vs. the link to the photo? I hope others can see it too! When I tried the first link above, it worked.

So anybody willing to take a guess?

1/13/2013 at 11:39 AM

Lousy at handwriting. I think documents are public by default but images uploaded to profiles take on the privacy settings of the profile. Something like that.

Private User
1/13/2013 at 1:23 PM

I agree it looks like Cousin Jan Kunercitz or Kurcercitz

1/15/2013 at 10:07 AM

Private User,
Thanks! Neither name is bringing up much. Another mystery.

Private User
1/16/2013 at 6:55 AM

Cousin = cousine = nephew or niece.
Jan = a boy
Kuercitz is maybe from City Kuer or something like that?
KurcerCity might also be a possibility.

Just some associations of my brain-cells, good luck!

1/16/2013 at 9:21 AM

Private User
Hmmm....I guess anything is possible. This text is from the portion of the Ellis Island Records where it asks basically "who are you meeting and where in the US?" In Polish Jan = John, which was a popular name in general, but also popular in my family... below where it said Cousin Jan K....., was an address & city 43 (the name of the street looks like Oy.....; but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Oneida St.) Cohoes, NY. On several other Ellis Island documents other family members were meeting up w/family living at this address, 43 Oneida, Cohoes, NY. So I don't think the K word is a location, I do think it's a surname. But hey you never know, I really appreciate you taking a look and taking a guess.

Private User
1/16/2013 at 10:20 AM

yes, sure Jan=John=Jean=Guan=
etcetera, for it comes from the SAINT JEAN, like my name Jeannette.
Only Boys where named Jan, or YAN, or Jean, or ....

Cousin is nowadays a SURNAME also in the Netherlands, like my nephew
Jilles Pieter Kozijn who has a father KOZIJN = COUSINE = french for Cousin = daughter/sun of a brother/sister of your mother/father...
Citz might by Jiddish for 'from the city' but I can NOT be sure about is
City, why the y would not have become a Z...?
Is there a city in your 'home-land' or origine-place that 'sounds like' Kurcer? Or maybe [in Dutch or old Deutsch] a place where you could have a good KUR, also KURORT that's German for place to have a nice bath...

1/16/2013 at 12:38 PM

Private User

"Cousin is nowadays a SURNAME also in the Netherlands, like my nephew
Jilles Pieter Kozijn who has a father KOZIJN = COUSINE = french for Cousin = daughter/sun of a brother/sister of your mother/father... "

Funny that you mention this! On my mom's side, Cozine was her maiden name, Cozyn, Cosyn they were Dutch. :)

But this is my dad's side, and they were all Polish & Russian at the time of this record. The record is in English, so I don't think there would be other languages. But again who knows.

1/17/2013 at 2:25 AM

Jill, welcome in the family. Jilles.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion