Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
2/14/2013 at 5:32 PM

For some strange reason, I'm unable to edit the birth order of the children in this tree: http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000005791608179?highlight...

The usual option "Change Birth Order" does not even appear on the Edit screen. Just in case the link to the Tree View doesn't work the way I'm hoping it will, the parents of the children I need to swap around are:
Dr. David William Ramsay, US Congress
Frances Ramsay

Does anyone have an idea or suggestion? TIA.

Private User
2/14/2013 at 5:35 PM

Sorry, I had a feeling that Tree View link wouldn't work. Try this one instead: http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000002177765668

Private User
2/14/2013 at 11:52 PM

What kind of error message are you getting?

The birth order for David, which you link to seem to be OK, but not his children.

If you enter the edit section on one of the children, for example Robert Ramsey you will find a (Change Birth Order).

It takes some time to get used to it, but the easiest method to get started is just to click and drag one of the boxes to correct position and you will see that Geni tries to automatically rearrange the others. If not satisfied you can enter or change the number manually.

Private User
2/14/2013 at 11:58 PM

BTW: If you have problems with children connected to the wrong parent pair you should notice that the Parents listing under edit profile is a pull-down menu for easy edit.

You should also remember that birth order is not counted with the base of the parents, - the birth order is arranged between the children with the same parents.
This is quite natural because you could be your father's fifth child and mother's first because she is his second wife.
Your half siblings are ordered against your father and their common mother, so technically your father will have two children marked with birth order 1.

Private User
2/16/2013 at 3:06 AM

Not so straightforward Bjørn. If you are not a curator and are not a manager or collaborator of a manager of a public profile, then in edit mode you don't see the relationships tab or an opportunity to change birth order. I suspect this is Jennifer's issue. Bjørn - I expect you have a non-curator test account where you can try and see this? Hope this helps explain.

Private User
2/16/2013 at 7:32 AM

Repeat after me: Collaboration, collaboration, collaboration.

It is not a question about being a Pro user or even a curator.
To have full edit access to a public profile you need to collaborate with one of the managers.

She said she was unable to edit, not that she did not have the option.

Private User
2/16/2013 at 2:44 PM

Bjørn - I think Jennifer was unable to see an option to edit the birth order because as I said she was not a manager or collaborator of a manager of the profile in question. I think you are agreeing with me there.

Jennifer did say: "The usual option "Change Birth Order" does not even appear on the Edit screen."

Private User
2/18/2013 at 7:28 PM

Thank you, Private User, for perfectly explaining my issue.

I was very specific about listing the parents of the children who need to be re-ordered. Listing those two parents rules out any issues of half-siblings.

I was unaware that I might be able to change absolutely everything else about a profile but not the birth order...

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion