Henri membertou Sachem Membertou, Chief of the Mi'kmaq - Chief Membertou was grandfather to Jeanne Marie Kagigoniac not father

Started by Nada Krizmancic on Friday, April 19, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 161 posts
4/19/2013 at 7:00 AM

I also have this discussion noted on my page for Louis: Louis Membertoucoichis (Membertouji'j)

It is constantly claimed online that the father of Jeanne Marie Kagigoniac is Chief Henri Membertou. However time and time again, people could not explain how, so I dug and found a copy of The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents - Travels and Explorations of the Jesuit Missionaries. This contained documented accounts of the baptism of Henri Membertou. The information also included the names of the other relatives who were baptized on June 24, 1610. All have been added to my tree with any information that was in the document like age, etc.

At that time, some of the Indians practiced polygamy. Although Henri Membertou chose not to, his son baptized as Louis did. Louis had two wives and several children between them born between 1597 and 1611 - the day of the baptism and possibly more undocumented children after. One of his daughters was baptized as Jeanne. If you also look at the date of births for Jeanne Marie and Henri, you will see they are about 100 years apart. It's more plausible that Louis was the real father of Jeanne Marie. As for her mother, we will probably never know which wife it was.

4/19/2013 at 8:52 AM

Nada, I have moved Jeanne and Pierre in the tree to agree with what you have described. I also merged your copies of the profiles in with the rest. Let me know if you see anything else that appears to be incorrect.

4/19/2013 at 9:01 AM

Thanks so much David! Let's hope this is a mystery solved! :)

4/19/2013 at 9:13 AM

You might want to type a comment in the About Me section of the affected profiles.

4/19/2013 at 4:26 PM

Good idea! Still working on it!

4/19/2013 at 5:11 PM

After you get it done. Post here so that one of us can master them for you.

4/19/2013 at 5:12 PM

Are there still 2 MP's for Jeanne? I have been going back and forth on this issue myself, and was just considering starting a discussion about her. But I had no information, but something seemed 'off', on the births.

4/19/2013 at 5:18 PM

Barbara,

Do a search on her to see if that is the case.

Kevin

4/19/2013 at 5:42 PM

Hi Kevin Lawrence Hanit There only seems to be one MP for her now. I don't know what happened to the other one? Could it have been merged? I know you have to un MP one of the profiles in order to merge it. I came across the 2 MP's last night, but now it only seems like there is one.

4/19/2013 at 5:48 PM

I saw another profile for her a couple of hours ago. Sorry, I'm still new to this and learning the ropes and had no idea of what to do. I posted something in the About Me section for the profile of Louis. It's just basic info. Guide me please if I am missing anything. Thanks!

4/19/2013 at 5:50 PM

Does this help? Jeanne Marie Kagijonias

4/19/2013 at 6:04 PM

Yes, cousin! She's the one, so who was she really married to? And how do we get this straightened out?

4/19/2013 at 6:08 PM

And this is the second one Unknown Profile

2 different husbands, one Martin, one Pierre, which is correct?

4/19/2013 at 6:09 PM

See my message above from 11:52 AM. I did the merges and cleanup. Is there another copy of Jeanne that I missed?

4/19/2013 at 6:10 PM

Nada Krizmancic Can you send me a link to that information from the Jesuits? I would be very interested in seeing it. thanks!

4/19/2013 at 6:14 PM

Wait a minute, I just took another look and things seem to have moved around again. What happened to Jeanne's parent?

4/19/2013 at 6:17 PM

Oh, I see. I found the other Jeanne.

4/19/2013 at 6:21 PM

Here is the link for the document on the Jesuits: http://archive.org/stream/jesuits01jesuuoft/jesuits01jesuuoft_djvu.txt

It's a bit hard to read and jumps from French to English. I copied it entirely, put it in Word and did a search for Membertou.

4/19/2013 at 6:24 PM

As for who she was married to, all I could find online was she was married to Pierre. But this comes from numerous other family trees. Guess the digging continues for solid proof.

4/19/2013 at 7:04 PM

Nada Krizmancic so this profileJeanne Marie Kagijonias that is also another Master Profile, is incorrect, as far as the husband goes. I wonder if the other curator of this profile will fix it, or do you think that there are 2 Jeanne Kagigoniacs, who just happened to marry 2 Briard dit LeJeune's? hmm,

4/20/2013 at 10:15 AM

Barbara Jean Shepard I think that the other one is in error. I can't find any other evidence of another Unknown Profile. Perhaps this is another historical error like the father of Jeanne was for so long? hmmmmm indeed! :)

4/22/2013 at 4:26 AM

Another clue- just received the following message from Roxanne M.R. Pushie:

"Managers of Catherine Lejeune,

I am contacting you about this profile: Catherine Lejeune

Jeanne-Marie Kagigoniac, Mi'kmaq was not wife of Pierre Lejeune but rather the wife of Martin Lejeune. No one knows who the parents of Catherine and/or Edmee Lejeune were. Pierre Lejeune b. abt 1628 may or may not be brother to Catharine but it is his grandson "Martin" that married Jeanne kagigoniac.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Landry
"

4/22/2013 at 6:34 AM

The more I look into it, the more, I see the conflicts with Martin vs. Pierre Lejeune. The research continues and I will update everyone as soon as I can connect the dots.

4/23/2013 at 5:14 AM

@Nada Krizmancic, I went on that link, couldn't find anything, and I don't know what you meant by putting it into word? I'm pretty good at searching for things, but not too computer literate.

Anyway, Stephen A White has Jeanne Marie Kagigoniac being married to Martin not Pierre, so I hope someone can get to the bottom of this.

4/24/2013 at 8:32 AM

Barbara Jean Shepard there is information there. You just have to move down the screen. I just copied all of the text and pasted it in Microsoft Word. I then did a search for Henry and found this information. However there is a lot of interesting historical information there. It looks like it was in French and then paragraph by paragraph, it was translated to Engllish. Some of the letters are in a strange font so you have to put the words together. I'm bilingual, so I was able to interpret both languages.

As for Jeanne, I am now sure that they are right in saying that she married Martin, not Pierre. It was in an old census. I am still working on this and hope to update everyone as soon as this busy mommy can. :)

Here is the excerpt from the baptism of Henri and his family with my interpreted corrections to some of the words:

MEMBERTOU, a great Sagamore, over one hundred years old, has been baptized by Nessire Jessé Fleche, 25 a priest; and named HENRY,
by Monsieur de Poutrincourt, after the late king.

2. MEMBERTOUCOICHIS (called Judas), eldest son
of Membertou, over sixty years old, also baptized;
and named LOUIS, by Monsieur de Biencour, after
Monsieur the Dauphin.
3. The eldest son of Membertoucoichis, now called
Louis Membertou, aged five years, baptized; Sieur de Poutrincourt godfather, and named JOHN,
after himself.
4. The eldest daughter of said Louis, aged thir-
teen years, also baptized; and named CHRISTINE by
Sieur de Poutrincourt, after : Madame the eldest
daughter of France.
5. The second daughter of the said Louis, eleven
years old, also baptized; and named ELIZABETH by
sieur de Poutrincourt, after Madame, the youngest
daughter of France.
6. The third daughter of said Louis, Sieur de
Poutrincourt godfather, also baptized, and named
CLAUDE, in honor of his wife.
7. The fourth daughter of said Louis, J\10nsieur
de Coullogne godfather, was named CATHERINE, af-
ter his mother.
8. The fifth daughter of said Louis was named
JEANNE, thus named by sieur de Poutrincourt, after
one of his daughters.
9. The sixth daughter of said Louis, René Maheu
godfather, was named CHARLOTTE, after his mother.
10. ACTAVDINECH, the third son of Henry Member-
tau, was named PAUL by sieur de Poutrincourt, after
Pope Paul.
I I. The wife of said Paul was named RENÉE, after
Madame d' Ardanville.
12. The wife of said Henry, sieur de Poutrincourt
sponsor in the name of the Queen, was named :MARIE,
after her.
13. The daughter of Henry, sieur de Poutrincourt
godfather, was named MARGUERITE, after Queen
Marguerite.
14. One of the wives of Louis, Monsieur de Jouï
sponsor in the name of Mme. de Sigogne, was named
after her.
IS. The other wife of Louis, sieur de Poutrincourt
sponsor in the name of
1adame de Dam pierre.
16. ARNEST, cousin of Henry, sieur de Poutrin-
court godfather in the name of Monsieur the Nuncio,
was after him named ROBERT.
17. AGOVDEGOVEN, also cousin of Henry, was by
sieur de Poutrincourt named NICHOLAS, after Mon-
sieur de Nayers, a Lawyer of the Parliament of Paris.
18. The wife of said Nicholas, sieur de Poutrin-
court godfather in the name of his nephew, was
named PHILIPPE.
19. The eldest daughter of Nicholas, the said Sieur
sponsor in the name of Madame de Belloy, his niece,
was after her named LOUISE.
20. The younger daughter of Nicholas, the said
sieur being godfather for Jacques de Salazar, his son,
was named JACQUELINE.
2 I. A niece of Henry, Monsieur de Coullongne
sponsor in the name of Mademoiselle de Grandmare,
was after her named ANNE.

4/24/2013 at 8:34 AM

You will also notice other relatives that are noted to still be added to the tree. Another work in progress.

4/24/2013 at 9:27 AM

Oh my word, @Nada Krizmancic! Thankyou so much, this is awesome.
I'm sure you are as busy as I am! I have just sold my house, trying to pack, get a storage unit, figure out what is going in that, Trying to organize a yard sale, and give some things to family members!. You should tag others in this post, as I'm sure David Lee Kaleita and others would be interested! Again, thanks so much!

Private User
4/24/2013 at 10:33 AM

My records have Martin Pierre Lejeune dit Briard as married to Jeanne Kagigoniac. he was born in 1595 in France. Does this fit everyone else's records? From everything I understand there was a mistake in transcription so it's the same man but with 2 different names, causing the confusion. I have found the records 3 times, once with him as Pierre Lejeune dit Briard, born 1595 in France, another time as Martin Lejeune dit Briard born in 1595 in France, and finally as Martin Pierre Lejeune dit Briard, born 1595 in France, and all 3 having married the same woman, Jeanne Kagigoniac, and having fathered the same son, Pierre. Thus, I draw my own personal theory that all 3 are the same man but accidentally wound up seeming different men because of transcriptions.

4/24/2013 at 4:18 PM

David Lee Kaleita can you MP this profile now?
Unknown Profile

4/24/2013 at 4:29 PM

OK. But what are we doing about the other Jeanne? I guess I understand Martin and Pierre could be the same person. But there is a difference in year of birth of 60 years between the two profiles, and the children are different too.

Showing 1-30 of 161 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion