New Merge notices

Started by Peter Dennis...Gone fishing! on Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 17 posts
4/23/2013 at 2:39 PM

Is there any way to get rid of the new notices?
I know that the profiles that are now indicated as new matches are on my heritage. I put them there!
I do NOT want to subscribe to my heritage.
Much as i like Geni this will cause me to leave .

4/23/2013 at 3:12 PM

Just hit the "tree matches" column in the record section (instead of "all matches"), and you will have the old matches back.

That said, the "record matches" feature is truly wonderful, and the "smart matches" is a far more structured way of finding other people's trees with information about your family than googling the Internet would be.

I've tested the features, and found them very useful.

4/24/2013 at 12:53 AM

Ek stem saam met jou Peter, ek was voorheen by My Heritage en hierdie sogenaamde "smart matches" doen dit net nie vir my nie. Die My Heritage model is 'n maklike manier om familie inligting en foto's te bekom.... het ek nou agtergekom, glad nie beindruk nie!!! Herken heelwat van my foto's en inligting van nader familie op My Heritage. Wat gebeur as jy 'n "smart match" op Geni "regmerkie" gee aan die My Heritage en ander webtuistes se kant, kom al die Geni inligting, foto's en dokumente van die profiel op ander webtuistes????

Private User
4/24/2013 at 6:39 AM

Charlene, no profile information is transferred to MyHeritage.

4/24/2013 at 7:00 AM

Harald, Trouble is i do not troll internet for family information. I do research in archives. So no, it does not impress me at all. All the information it is claiming to have found was added by me on My Heritage before i abandoned it.
Probably will abandon this site as well now.

4/24/2013 at 7:06 AM

Where are our South African curators on this issue?
I notice that Daan has deleted his comment.! I wonder why?

Private User
4/24/2013 at 7:15 AM

Peter, you will be able to turn off your tree in MyHeritage so that it does not match. Gilad stated in this thread: http://www.geni.com/discussions/122925

"Finally, we are adding a configuration flag soon that will allow you to go to MyHeritage and turn off matches with Geni for any tree; that way the matches you are getting with your own tree on MyHeritage will disappear and you will be left with matches of real value."

Private User
4/24/2013 at 7:21 AM

Why would you leave Geni for providing additional data services? Some of these record matches are free. I think you're only seeing a small piece of the total value. Please see the blog post if you haven't read it: http://www.geni.com/blog/introducing-record-matches-and-smart-match...

The rootstech presentation was also good.

If you just want to see profile matches on Geni, just use the filter: http://www.geni.com/list/matches?filter=tree_matches

4/24/2013 at 7:34 AM

Jeff,
Are you the appointed spokesperson on this issue?
Why no prior canvassing as to the desirability of these new additions?
Why also no instructions on these tools or would that have hindered the my heritage membership drive
My leaving will be as a result of the constant prompting to join My Heritage.

Private User
4/24/2013 at 7:37 AM

This system has helped me an awful lot especially confirming expected details. And the matching documents is really wonderful .
I am happy even though it is giving me a lot of work checking out all the matches and details, thousands of them :)

4/24/2013 at 7:50 AM

@ Anne-Marie So, even though we pay for a 'Pro' membership, now we will be required to pay another program to access this additional information? I would be interested in knowing the source of the 'My Heritage' information. Is this a program like Ancestry? Does it include international records for that price? I have an Ancestry membership to access the records. If I could access the same records via 'My Heritage' it would be beneficial, because it would automaticly add them to my Geni tree rather than having to copy them to my computer and then upload to Geni.

4/24/2013 at 7:52 AM

Peter,
I made a remark late night when being frustated suddenly with 1000's of merge issues. Guidelines by Harald Tveit Tveit and Jeffrey Roland Gentes
eliminated the problem. Therefore no requirement to have a posting anymore.

Private User
4/24/2013 at 7:59 AM

Peter, I am not a spokesperson. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure they've gotten a great deal of feedback on what users would like to see / gain from new tools in genealogy. If you watch RootsTech, you'll see a lot of the discussion was around using such technology to bring records and helpful information for any particular person to the user. I don't expect they spend considerable resources to build tools no one wants. I for one, love the new record and smart matches and have gotten a great deal of value from them already. Guess it just depends - I expect there is a lot less available for South Africa, then North America / Europe. Maybe you're only seeing smart matches for a duplicate tree you created - obviously, that doesn't help you. That's not what many others see. As Gilad stated, "Keep an open mind because the matches you see today are not those you will see tomorrow: more than a billion new records and profiles will be added in the next half year alone, and if there is new information that can be found for tree, a lot of it will automatically be delivered to you."

4/24/2013 at 10:00 AM

For Dea & Ancestry.com users specifically,

This was faster, easier, more accurate & much better looking than similar services in Ancestry but at less cost. For instance the doc viewer in MyHeritage is much more iPad friendly, crisper images, etc.

The record Match service does not yet have the ability to "copy across" from MH to Geni.

So for example, the 1940 US Federal Census set is free on My Heritage: it should match your managed profiles (mine did perfectly). I create the reference with one click and the cited source is created. I can copy in the separate data elements. I can download / upload the image file. And I can view it in a better viewer on line.

4/24/2013 at 10:16 AM

If I did understand correctly, basic Geni users have now almost the same tools and possibilities as Pro users.
I would appreciate if Geni would honor their Pro customers by giving them access to Heritage as a feature of their Pro account.

Private User
4/24/2013 at 1:43 PM
4/24/2013 at 9:53 PM

Thank you Erica, I was wondering if it was compatible.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion