Amaziah John Green - Who are Amaziahs real parents

Started by Susan Mary Rayner (Green) ( Ryan) is away ill on Thursday, May 23, 2013
Showing all 8 posts

Amaziah John Green. was Christened at St Mary Lambeth London England on 12 May 1788.
He is the son of Thomas Green and Sarah Steel.
According to a Cemetery Transcript for C of E Sydney he died on 11 Feb 1838 and was originally interred at the Sydney Burial Ground, Devonshire Street (the Sandhills).
Thomas Green married Sarah Steel at St Leonards Shorediitch on 6 March 1774. Witnesses at the Wedding were Elizabeth steel and William Burgess.

I will shortly post more information about Amaziah's siiblings and children.

Stay tuned

source - http://amaziah01.angelfire.com/

HE IS NOT from Almondbury in Yorkshire.

6/8/2013 at 6:02 PM

Thanks, Susan. I will be interested to read more detail and clarification. The Almondbury connection has been assumed for a long time.

Alan Stephens

im not sure which ones are right but it needs to be worked out with some form of documentation proof

6/10/2013 at 4:38 AM

Sorry to give you both a headache BUT:... whilst I have nothing but the very highest regards for your research and results Susan I also do have reason to have faith in Ray GREEN's research and findings, You are correct the matter does need finalizing one way or the other....

copies of notes attached to profile of Amaziah John GREEN:--

England Births and Christenings 1538-1975

Note that only fathers name isshownon this record?;

name:Amoriah GREEEN
baptism/christening date: 27 Oct 1782
baptism/christening place: ALMONDBURY, YORK, ENGLAND
father's name: Joseph GREEN
residence: York, England

indexing project (batch) number: C01712-4
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 230650

This url (link) will take you to the copy of this record for Amoriah GREEN:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JWWG-G66
---------------
also
the following:

From: MSN RayG_inOz Sent: 9/24/2005 7:58 PM I have attached below a copy of what I have previously put on the Web Site "We are Green".

I think the first part should explain how it has come to pass that Almondbury has become "the word" as to Amasiah's birthplace.

After 35 or more years of searching I have been unable to link the marriage at St Giles, to a birth at Almondbury.

Further I have been unable to find any links from the Amasiah who was married at St Giles to Mary Chapel to anywhere or anyone prior to that marriage.

I have a photocopy of the entry in the Register and there is nothing there apart from what I sent to you and placed on the site. I wish that there was.

What I see is a trend creeping in to Genealogy is an acceptance that because it is listed in the IGI it must be right.

The big trouble is that some people just dont look at how the record was made and where it came from.

The second part of the message below shows how mistakes can be made.

The three entries in the IGI relating to Amasiah's birth have all been lodged from one source, and that is a private researcher....

One thing I have never done is put down anyones research...but in this case what has been quoted as "fact" is actually based on what I privately sent to someone many years ago and somehow has been forwarded on to others.

Many years ago I was asked in a private email if I had any ideas as to who the parents of Amaziah were.

I replied to that person that I had no proof at all, but I SUSPECTED that it might be the Green's from Yorkshire.

I based it on a couple of IDEAS that I had, amongst them was the birth in the same area of a Mary Ann Chapel.

The dates of birth of the Amaziah and the Mary Ann were close to what would have been IF they had been the right persons.

Part of the text of that email is this "Although there is no proof, or anything other than supposition, it is thought the details shown for Amaziah's birth are the correct ones.

They correspond with christening details for a Mary Chapel - same Parish, approximate dates.

I do have a problem with the name on the IGI Birth Index, again there is a variation in the spelling, this time AMORIAH, also with the stated age at Death - 51 These details would make him 55 at death.

His name on the IGI Marriage Index is shown as AMASIAH.
---

Of course it must be noted that a lot of material refers to the old IGI files of (now long ago) so one really must completely research the matter again, has anyone heard from or contacted Ray GREEN in Marsden Qld ???

Reg Sherlock

I found this good discussion on this topic ...
Can you please both have a look at it

http://soc.genealogy.britain.free-usenet.eu/Thoughts-wanted_T363039...

Still looking into this.
I have come across a couple of documents.
This one is of maria's baptisim which clearly states the amaziah is a shop keeper
http://interactive.ancestry.com.au/1624/31280_199049-00298/4165461?...

This would them support the newspaper report in 1837
30 November 1838 Sydney Monitor: “Emasiah Green deposed, that he was a dealer in clocks and watches and resided in Sussex Street.” A case where William Sheppard was charged with obtaining watches under false pretences. William Sheppard was put to the bar charged with obtaining watches under false pretences. Emasiah Green deposed, that he was a dealer in clocks and watches, and , resided in Sussex-street. The prisoner was employed by Mr Forester the watch maker of George-street. The prisoner met the prosecutor, and asked him if he had any watches to dispose of, as he knew a respectable young man who would purchase one. Prosecutor said he had some at Mr. Foster's, and he would get them. Prisoner replied, " Aye do, for I do not wish my master to know." The watches were procured and shown to the prisoner who selected a neat silver hunting watch for which he agreed to give three pounds on Saturday The prisoner .....his work the following day as usual but the next day absented himself. Prosecutor hearing this, made inquiry, and found he had offered the watch for sale to several parties, asking from three pounds five, to as low as fifty shillings for it. He was given in charge. The prisoner complained of the harshness and injustice of the proceeding, and said that even if he sold the watch, it did not signify to the prosecutor, so long as he paid him for it on Saturday night as agreed on. Remanded, there being another charge of the same nature against him. William Shephard, remanded on a charge of obtaining watches under false pretences, has been committed for the offence.

This newspaper article supports that the date on the headstone was either incorrect at the time of inscription; or that the inscription was incorrectly transcribed.

This baptisim of thomas supports ray with the coal dealer occupation
http://interactive.ancestry.com.au/1558/31280_199025-00472/4866877?...

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion