Pieter Claesen Wyckoff - Van Schouw

Started by William Wykoff on Sunday, July 7, 2013
Showing all 9 posts
7/7/2013 at 12:13 PM

There is no evidence that Pieter Claessen was related to Claes Cornelissen. There is no birth certificate recorded for Pieter Claessen at The Wykoff near Norden in Germany from where he emigrated. Consequently, we do not know the exact year in which he was born.
The practical problem here is how to undo the Van Schouw line from the Wyckoff family tree on geni.com

7/8/2013 at 3:09 AM

Hi William,

Perhap Martin Severin Eriksen can help us here.

7/8/2013 at 4:15 AM

in this profile,both Sweden and the Netherlands is mention as birth place.
Claes Cornelissen van Schouwen

as this is nothing i have knowledge of,or info about.
you might want to get Swedish and Dutch people involved.

if the lines only should be cut of,i can do so.
but more of the managers of the profiles ,might want to get involved in it.

7/9/2013 at 9:22 AM

Hi William. I am descended from Pieter's sister Pieterje who was married to Sijmon Ven Arsdalen. Our subsequent Van Arsdale ancestors (who were still baptized Dutch Reform in the early 1800s and were the last generation of the Low Dutch Colony of Pennsylvania and Kentucky that dissipated about that time after 150 years as a coherent community) referred to her as Pieterje Wyckoff in the family Bible. There were no Van Schouw's mentioned, so that confused me when I found her referred to as a Van Schouw. Perhaps before giving up however, we should investigate further the scenario that Claes Cornelissen van Schouw had Swedish birth and migrated to Netherllands. The Van Schouw line is such a fascinating one with its Scandinavian royal pedigree and back to the Viking period.

7/10/2013 at 12:45 PM

Pieter Claessen was not born in Sweden or the Netherlands. He was not the son of Claes Cornelissen van Schouw. He came from The Wykhof estate about 5 miles south of Norden in Germany. The Van Schouw line may be a fascinating line but has nothing to do with Pieter Claessen von Norden. Marienhafe and The Wykhof also have a fascinating ancient history, especially since this was the home base of the famous pirate Claes Störtebeker. The Wyk- in Wyckoff stems from the same North Germanic word root as Vik- in Viking.

7/10/2013 at 1:52 PM

William Wykoff,

Would it be possible to post links to show what you have found?

7/10/2013 at 5:50 PM

great information William, thank you!

7/11/2013 at 2:48 PM

I am ;now reading Störtebeker; Dichtung und Wahrheit by Harm Bents,et al. It is a lavishly illustrated book (in German) with many photographs of the huge cast of authentically costumed actors and actresses who participate in the open air dramas in Marienhafe, Ost Frisland depicting episodes in the life of the famous pirate. His real life was more adventurous than all the Hollywood fictions.
In my article on the History and Meaning of Wyckoff submitted to the Wyckoff Association of America, I present the evidence and develop the theme of Wilhelm Wykhoff as presented in the 1988 issue of the Wyckoff Family Bulletin. You should be able to obtain a back issue from the online store of the Association.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion