John Endicott (Endecote), Governor - Bithplace of Gov. John Endicott

Started by Debra Jeanne Ryon on Saturday, July 20, 2013
Showing all 24 posts
7/20/2013 at 12:03 PM

"birthplace for Governor John Endecott. He was not born in Dorchester, Dorset, England. He was born at Middlecott Manor or Drewsten Manor. Both homes are close by on the outskirts of Chagford in Devenoshire, England. Later references to the Governor as a "Dorchester" man relate to his relationship to Reverend John White who was the Rector of Holy Trinity in Dorchester after 1605 and was an associate of many of the other Puritan leaders in the early 1600s". Read page 10 of Out of the Mist. by Ted Standford

7/20/2013 at 9:12 PM

Thanks for the reference. I knew that he was likely not born in Dorchester but was associated with Dorchester, but left it ambiguous (see Curator Note), since there was no firm evidence for his birth place.

I tend to rely upon NEGHS.

7/21/2013 at 10:15 AM

Teddy Hollis Sanford, Jr. - Thank you very much for all the details. It's wonderful to have someone who has done this much research contribute to Geni. I will indeed read your article on the Endecott-Endicott Family Association website and make sure to cite your work and conclusions in the profile. It sounds like I would like to read your book also. Please let me know if you have other research that should be taken into account.

7/21/2013 at 10:31 AM

Okay, I have edited the profile and the About Me. I thank you both very much for your expertise and welcome any help you can offer based on recent research. I noticed that in a merge he acquired an unknown wife and fixed that too.

Let me know if I need to change the About Me more. Starting a discussion like this was excellent since others will be able to see the discussion from the Discussion Tab on his profile.

7/21/2013 at 3:59 PM

Thank you so much for adding the complete place of birth. I do not know if Ted Sanford mentioned that he is acknowledge for his work on the other Endicott book I have sourced Endecott -Endicott Family History by Gordon Stewart Harmon

7/21/2013 at 4:06 PM

Sorry to get off subject but are you working on genealogy of Gov John Endicott's wife Elizabeth Cogan? Geni is showing me a very remarkable line.

7/21/2013 at 4:21 PM

Sorry to get off subject but are you working on genealogy of Gov John Endicott's wife Elizabeth Cogan? Geni is showing me a very remarkable line.

7/21/2013 at 4:41 PM

Deb - The history of the Cogan family is very well documented and I see no reason to try to get into some of the issues with that ancestry. Laura Gaskill Hagar from New Britain, Pennsylvania has compiles a short book "The Ancestry of John Endicott (John would have spelled it Endecott) and Elizabeth Cogan." It was copyrighted in August 2000, and has nine pages on the Cogan family. Philbert Cogan, and his wife, Ann Marshall, who were married in 1602 had a family of six children including Mary (1604) who married Roger Ludlow; Elizabeth (1607) who married Governor John Endecott; Thomas (1610); Martha (1613) who married Peter Holway; Ann (1617) who married a man named Robinson; and Susan (1620). I think I have forgotten something here. I have Philbert Cogans will here somewhere. I will look at it and report back. In any case, there are tons of research on this particular area and I have little to add. Ted Sanford

7/21/2013 at 4:53 PM

Elizabeth (Cogan) Gibson Endicott

Why is her maiden name given as (Gibson Cogan)?

7/21/2013 at 5:03 PM

I've corrected it. It looks like she was the widow of a Mr. Gibson, although Wikipedia is unsure whether there were one or two wives named Elizabeth. But if his first wife's death is correct, he married Elizabeth Cogan Gibson on April 18, 1630 not long after his first wife died.

7/22/2013 at 9:44 AM

Hattie - Cogan-Gibson is not her maiden name. She was born Elizabeth Cogan, one of the daughters of Philobert Cogan (1563-1641) and Ann Marshal (1576) of Chard, Somerset. She arrived on the ship "Mary and John" which was part of the Winthrop Fleet. She had been named Elizabeth Gibson when she married a man by that name in England. He died. Ann Gover (many different spellings) was the first wife of Governor John Endecott and accompanied him to the Massachusetts Bay in 1628. She died during the winter of 1629 when she was "---- among those unable to survive wilderness conditions." On 18 August 1630, Elizabeth Cogan married Governor John Endecott and officiating were Governor John Winthrop and the Reverend Mr. Wilson. Ted Sanford

7/22/2013 at 9:52 AM

Yes, I have her maiden name as Cogan. I have her DISPLAY name as the above link to indicate that she was married to first Gibson, then Endicott. I found the marriage recorded in Torrey and linked to Torrey yesterday.

Let me know if you two prefer a different display name, such as the standard Elizabeth Endicott (Cogan), although it does not show her first marriage.

The information on the death of Ann Gover (Gower) is excellent as it shows that there was only one Elizabeth, since Torrey did record the marriage as 18 Aug 1630, shortly after the death of his first wife.

I will add the information to all three profiles. Thank you.

7/22/2013 at 11:21 AM

Thank you for links Ted it is foolish but I do love all those titles and pictures that Geni has linked to her. I am trying to get my family members who have not been into family history before motivated. Gov John Endicott did not do it unfortunately but your paper on Endicotts and the War of 1812 did draw attention. Thank you.

7/22/2013 at 4:57 PM

I'd like to get back to this supposed sister of John Endecott named Mary Porter. Outside of on-line postings, I have never seen any evidence of this sister and doubt that she was a sister at all. Ted Sanford

7/22/2013 at 5:36 PM

Teddy it looks like the Mary (Endicott) Porter idea "likely the sister of Gov Endicott" originates with Ancestral File # FWRD-DD

Example: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1710...

There's a more coherent comment here:

http://www.justinrdodge.com/porter_mary.aspx

"It is unknown if Mary was related to John, however the time frame and locations seem to indicate a relationship is probable as a sister or cousin."

"Additionally, Mary's daughter, Sarah (Porter) Andrews married Daniel Andrews, who was the son of Rebecca (Craddock) Andrews, who may be related to Matthew Craddock. John Endicott and Matthew Cradock were known to have a relationship due to both being governors of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, making this relationship with John Endicott even more probable."

7/22/2013 at 5:39 PM

Personally I'd consider it speculative and can simply have a pointer link within the Mary Porter profile, but I'd like to hear more comments

Mary Porter

7/23/2013 at 6:38 AM

Erica - On 19 March 1628, John Endecott (1588-1665) was one of the six signers to purchase the patent of the territory of the Massachusetts Bay. Two others of the signers who received proprietary rights in the new company were Matthew Craddock and Roger Ludlow who were both related to John Endecott through marriage. Matthew was a cousin of John Endecott's first wife, Ann Gover who accompanied John on the voyage to Massachusetts Bay but died in the winter of 1629. Roger Ludlow had been married to John's younger sister, Margaret (1590-1626). When Margaret died early without any children, Roger married Mary Cogan who was the sister of John;s second wife, Elizabeth Cogan who married John on 17 August 1630. I have never encountered anything that would suggest that Mary Porter was a sister of Governor John, but suspect that she might have been a cousin or "cousin in law" if there is such a thing through Matthew Craddock. I would suggest that her name be disassociated from the Governor unless someone has some more compelling data on her. Teddy Sanford

7/23/2013 at 9:27 AM

Erica - Here is a little more discussion to show the relationship between Endecott - Craddock - Ludlow. When the six signers purchased the patent of the territory of the Massachusetts Bay, these three men were among the signers and organizers of the Massachusetts Bay Company (note I said company, not colony). Matthew Craddock was elected by the group as its first governor of the COMPANY on 13 May 1628. He had many diverse business interests and this was just one of them. He never traveled to the Massachusetts Bay and worked with the company from his London offices. The company decided to send what was effectively an advanced party under John Endecott to establish their control of a settlement at Naumkeag (now Salem). He sailed on the Abigail from Weymouth of 20 June 1628 just over a month after Craddock's election by the company and arrived in Naumkeag on 6 September 1628, two months and sixteen days later. Upon arrival, John Endecott was in charge and was subsequently appointed by the company as the first governor of the Massachusetts Bay settlement. He held this position for over a year until the arrival of John Winthrop, another owner of the company, with his fleet in 1630. He was assisted through the early days of the settlement by his brother-in-law, Roger Ludlow, who had been married to the sister of John Endecott, until she died shortly before the migration. Roger would go on to marry again to Mary Cogan who was the older sister of the governors second wife, Elizabeth Cogan. It gets a little complicated but this is about as simple as it can be stated. Teddy Sanford

7/24/2013 at 2:36 PM

That was a bit twisty. :)

I've gone ahead with disconnecting from speculative parents and included a link to John Endicott's profile within Mary Porter's profile "overview."

7/28/2013 at 5:04 PM

Hattie - I knew that I had the will of Philibert Cogan somewhere. This can be found in the Genealogical Gleanings in England, Volume I, page 351, by Henry F. Waters. It was printed by the New England Genealogical Society in 1901 and is in the stacks at Salt Lake City in document 33577. Here it is:

"Philobert Cogan of Chard in the County of Somerset, gentleman, 10 February 1640, proved 12 April 1641. To the parish church twenty shillings. To the poor of the town of Chard twenty shillings. To my son, Thomas Cogan, one gold ring or ten shillings. To Mary Ludlow, my daughter, one gold ring or ten shillings. To Elizabeth Endecott, my daugter, one gold ring or ten shillings. To Martha Holway, my daughter, one gold ring or ten shillings. To Margaret Cogan, my daughter, three hundred pounds. To Ann Robinson, my daughter, one gold ring or ten shillings. To Susan Cogan, my daughter, one gold ring or ten shillings. The rest to Ann my now wife whom I do make and ordain sole executrix of this my last will and testament. To my son Thomas (sundry moveables) after the decease of my said wife. An if he die without issue, my daughter Susan shall hold and enjoy my loses of land meadow and pasture. If William Cogan, my cousin, do discharge my said executrix of all such bonds, bills, and obligations, as I do stand bound with and for him unto M. John Barcroft and Margaret Webb widow then I do give and devise unto him my said Cousin William, the sum of fifty pounds. I desire my good friends M. John Hody Gentleman and my son in law, M. Peter Holway to be my overseers of this my last will and testament.

The children of Philbert Cogan and Ann Marshall were as follows:

Mary Cogan (married Roger Ludlow) born 1604
Elizabeth Cogan (married John Endecott) born in 1607
Thomas Cogan born in 1610
Martha Cogan (married Peter Holway) born in 1613
Margaret born in 1615
Ann Cogan (married Mr. Robinson) born in 1617
Susan born in 1620

We know that Margaret (26) and Susan (21) at the time of their father's death, were still unmarried which is unusual given the short life spans of the time. The fact that Margaret got the largest amount of the inheritance at 300 pounds may suggest that she had some illness or other condition that would preclude her getting married, and that provision was made for Susan should her brother die without issue although she was still marriageable in 1641. Teddy Sanford

7/28/2013 at 5:47 PM

http://www.archive.org/stream/genealogicalglea01wate/genealogicalgl...

Since it's online and out of print, we can use it in his profile, but I'll still quote it and cite the source. I'll also link the source to his profile and other profiles that are mentioned.

Good find.

7/28/2013 at 7:35 PM

I believe that I have captured most of the information, linked all the profiles to the source document, and added birth dates to the children who did not have them. And made them all MPs.

5/2/2015 at 4:24 PM

Much has happened since 2013 and I have been in the process of updating all of my works. First, Governor John Endecott was born at Middlecott Manor in 1588, We do not know what her name was but she died bearing John. Her husband, Thomas Endecott, was able to raise his son with the assistance of his uncle, William endecott (1543-1630) and his new bride, Anne Ellis, who, effectively was John's "mother" throughout his youth. She also soon had two children of her own, Jane (1590_ and Henry (1591). The three children were brought up like brothers and sister. This new finding comes from detailed research of the Church Wardens' Accounts of St. Michaels Church, Chagford, for the years 1480-1600. It shows that Thomas Endecott bought a funeral shrould for his wife in 1588.

5/3/2015 at 9:32 AM

Thanks Teddy Hollis Sanford, Jr.. I'll make the updates.

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion