Geni app

Started by Alex Moes on Thursday, March 27, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts
3/27/2014 at 6:59 PM

Which app do you guys recommend for Android?

I've read the FAQ already now I'm asking for opinions

Private User
8/8/2017 at 2:44 AM

Hi Alex, I know it's 3 years since your post but yours is the most relevant one that a "search" brought me to - looking for the same information - ie any recommended Geni App for Android? Did you eventually find one? I see there were no replies already posted here.

About this page...........
World Family Tree powered by Geni, for iPhone, ipod, ipad etc and Android.
http://www.telgen.co.uk/wft/

followed the link on that page to Google Play for the download - here....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.telgen.genimobile
The price of the download is £4.99, but I'm reluctant to try it in view of the 3 only reviews displayed there dated between 2014 to Feb 2016, which are all very poor. So it would be good to know if anyone else has tried it more recently and whether it has improved at all.

Or is there a better Geni App for android to be found elsewhere? Anyone else know?

8/9/2017 at 3:30 PM

Hi Private User

I never found any Android app and never got any sort of answer to my question, actually to be honest until your post I had completely forgotten that iI even asked the question.

I just use Chrome on my phone to access Geni, it's fine for everything except Tree View.

I am not sure if it is relevant but apparently Adobe will be shutting down Flash over the next year or two which means Geni is changing it's structure over to HTML5 so perhaps this will resolve the Tree View problem on Android devices?? A bit too teche for my knowledge level :)

Private User
8/12/2017 at 9:49 AM

@Alex Moes Thanks for your reply. The display is good on Chrome isn't it, so I'm very grateful for that tip. Finding it really easy to view and read through the profile pages now on my android device and to follow through various url links (apart from of course as you said - the Tree View). Will look forward to the HTML5 version of geni at some time in the future then.

Many thanks!

Private User
10/20/2017 at 9:00 PM

I am also looking for a good way to view geni on my android phone.

Private User
10/20/2017 at 9:37 PM

Normally I don't react on my own post, but the last one was on my mobile and I had to switch to my PC to give a good reaction on the questions and give answers on my and on the other questions. I'm more of a tech myself and I don't think the app Private User is talking about is any good. 1) You have to pay for it 2) bad reviews 3) less users are using it. If looking for an app that are the points you are looking for. Of course that are my points I think are important. But again I can code and I think software should be good working and free or for little money.

One day I want to live from my coding so I'm not totally against paying for software :)

About flash and HTML5 that is an issue that still needs to be solved by GENI staff. And I'm following it and I will give an update here or somewhere else at the moment I have something more to say about that. Alex Moes I hope that will answer your questions also for this moment.

10/20/2017 at 10:48 PM

Thanks Jeroen.
Muy only complaint, other than lack of TreeView, is typing with the phone pad.

If you release an Android app for Geni let us know and I'll buy it

10/20/2017 at 11:18 PM

It's not a full answer because it doesn't cover Geni directly, but I think that by far the best genealogical app for Android (and that includes ChromeOS (as in Chromebooks) is FamilySearch. Like its PC version, it is not all intuitive but the direct links with Geni and excellent hints feature make it a valuable addition to my research especially when whiling away a few idle moments away from my laptop. And it's free.

10/21/2017 at 2:35 AM

But, but, I am addicted to _Geni_, not FamilySearch!

10/22/2017 at 7:39 AM

Yes, so am I. But when I am without a direct access to Geni I use FamilySearch on my Android phone to build additional branches - and here is the important point - which show up on Geni as Smart Match links

Cheers

Will

Private User
10/28/2017 at 12:06 AM

Geni has very different ways of giving access to the database. And one of it is adding to the familytree. So it look like Alex Moes is looking for a way to add persons to the database or the tree. And it has to be done direct to geni. I will look at the app FamilySearch. BTW for me Geni come first and the others are just another way to get to Geni or are sources to feed Geni.

Private User
10/28/2017 at 12:09 AM

And don't forget for curators and pro users you can very good work with smart match links, but for the normal user the direct access to Geni is much more important. So for a curator or pro user you need another kind of app then for a normal user.

Private User
10/29/2017 at 6:32 AM

Jeroen, I must ditto Alex's comment.....
"If you release an Android app for Geni let us know and I'll buy it"
Yes, so will I.

In the meantime I've found that the Familysearch android app mentioned by Will is really good .......... he wrote......
"the direct links with Geni and excellent hints feature make it a valuable addition to my research especially when whiling away a few idle moments away from my laptop. And it's free"..
Yes I like it Will, thanks for the tip, I've been doing that too, very good.

Private User
11/23/2017 at 6:09 AM

I will need money to release an android app.
What you and me needs it a version were you can find info quickly. But also a version where you can edit the profiles. Today I did come across some new info, but I only had my smartphone with me. So I want to take a picture and add that picture to a profile or create a profile based on that picture. So I need to convert the info from picture into text into database info Geni understands. So based on a picture a search action or a create profile action. That would be a smart app for a smartphone and quick way to add new profiles.

Private User
12/3/2017 at 6:02 AM

Thanks for the update Jeroen. Yes an app which enables editing profiles, adding newly found data, etc, similar to the familysearch tree app. Sounds like you have some good ideas so I hope you'll keep us informed.

Private User
1/6/2018 at 4:26 AM

I'm think now more in the line to translate SmartCopy into an app. It will help adding found data into Geni. It will not enable editing profiles. But that should be the task of the mobile version of the website. I will look into the familysearch tree app, Maybe that is an idea to start for the Geni app.

Private User
1/14/2018 at 12:57 PM

At the moment I'm using geni.com on my mobile and it is working fine. It is detecting that I'm on my mobile so it shows me the mobile version of the website.

Private User
1/23/2018 at 2:15 AM

But still there are people working on this subject in the past. I will keep my eyes open I will follow those programmers I will keep you all informed. I don't have the time or the skills to start it from nothing so I'm going to find a team to do this.

Private User
1/24/2018 at 8:07 AM

Thanks for keeping us informed Jeroen.

Private User
8/1/2018 at 9:03 AM

There is an update on this subject. GENI has launched the mobile version of the website. So the question is. Is there still the need of a geni app or is the version for mobile good enough?

Private User
8/10/2018 at 12:25 PM

I will close this "request" for a Geni app. As it is a lot of work to write it and the mobile version is very powerfull.

Private User
10/20/2018 at 1:36 PM

Wait. Is there a mobile web interface for geni? How do you activate it?

10/20/2018 at 6:32 PM

Private User
No, just use your phone's web browser.

Private User
10/21/2018 at 2:06 AM

I just tried with Firefox and Chrome for Android, and both dhow the desktop website. The text is really small and you have to scroll and zoom every time you want to do something.

Only the html5 tree seems to been adapted to mobile phones, although the horizontal disposition of each person's "rectangle" take up a lot of space (so, again, lots of scrolling).

10/21/2018 at 2:12 AM

I have a samsung s7 and use chrome.
The text size doesn't bother me though i often turn the phone side on to get a wider screen. I avoid tree view though it does seem far better since the html release.

Private User
11/18/2018 at 2:23 PM

Please try to open Geni on your mobile phone, It is not an app, but still they did make mobile version of the website. Please report your problems or suggests here. You need good eyes to view it all, but I use the mobile interface a lot when in the bus or when I have free time, but I only have my smart phone with me. On a tablet does it work also. Please just try it.

Private User
11/18/2018 at 2:43 PM

I have a Tablet I used with WiFi when out of town - it worked fine.

Private User
11/21/2018 at 4:24 AM

For some reason, the main page looks exactly the same on a computer and in a mobile browser, so it doesn't seem that it has been optimized. I can send a screenshot if you want.

Only the html5 tree seems to be adapted to be seen from a mobile phone.

Private User
11/21/2018 at 6:27 AM

I don't know if the adaption process is ended or not, but it good that it works in a mobile browser.

11/21/2018 at 11:35 AM

I use the mobile version all the time, because I onely have a smartphone tot work without
I cut and paste, copy, search and source without any problem, onely had some difficulties in the beginning, but i work like this for over 4 years.
It works for me.

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion