Geni app

Started by Alex Moes on Thursday, March 27, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing 31-60 of 65 posts

I use the mobile version all the time, because I onely have a smartphone tot work with.
I cut and paste, copy, search and source without any problem, onely had some difficulties in the beginning, but i work like this for over 4 years.
It works for me.

Ok, is this how the mobile view is supposed to look, or am I doing something wrong?
https://imgur.com/a/WDCLH5E

This is with Google chrome

@Marc Paulus Gallego.
That's how it should be, I have the same Outlook in Google Chrome.

The big change is that 4 years ago, you could not get Tree View on mobile devices unless you had a very rare one that supported flash. Now there is a Tree View that works on all of them!

It is made more mobile friendly a side affect of moving to html. But the view on desktops and mobile is basicly the same. You have the same functions, but on a smaller screen.

It has been 4.5 years since i began this discussion thread and Lois does indeed have the crucial factor correct when she mentions the new tree functionality.

Now that tree view is available on my phone i have no other issues worth worrying about that might justify a separate app.

Hi All,
Hope I'm helpful.
Open Geni with Google Chrome...then click on the vertical ellipses (three dots top right)...Click "Add to Home Screen"..…Job done.
I also loaded Geni Paths and did the same procedure.
So now I just click the G icon and I am in.

Pete

I still think the main interface could be more accesible for mobile users. For instance, getting rid of the lateral bar and increasing the font size when viewed from a mobile device would already help a lot. As an example, compare how wikipedia or facebook are displayed from a computer and a mobile phone.

What are the points that should Geni software team improve so it is better on the little screen.

The app is not coming and is not needed.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't referring to the app. I personally don't think we need one. A well optimized website for phones should be enough.

As I said, if you compare https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page you can see how the former is much more legible on mobile devices. There's only one column of text, the font size is larger in comparison, and menus are hidden under a button at the top.

Private User the discussion has moved from the app to the way geni looks on mobile devices. So I agree that the website should look good on any mobile device.

This app is useless don’t waste your money

Private User there is no app that you can buy. Also the software is free to use.

The tree view is extremely slow, and the search feature does not allow me to click the suggestions. The combination makes it impossible for me to use the site on mobile. Any help?

Not being able to choose the search suggestions by touching them is very recent. I assume it is a bug, and hope it gets fixed soon!

It’s 2021, the whole thing needs to be redesigned for mobile first to succeed at all. And an app for this type of business is also very necessary. It’s a shame that is not known at Geni

Private User 1 The geni.com software is rewriten so it works on mobile and other devices.

I agree that is 2021, but not on the rest of your words.

Private User and Private User I think that the search problem is fixed.

I agree with Adele. Geni on a phone is barely usable. The interface is not optimized, as it's basically a desktop website on a smaller screen with lots of zooming and horizontal scrolling.

Thanks Marc, it's a shame because I have a lot of data in Geni and have been updating my tree for years. Would be great if we could get some updated tech so I don't lose it all

The info is not lost, but yes it would be nice if we can access it also with an app or on mobile. Viewing the information on a mobile should be the first step. Complex editing tasks is better done on a big screen or on two screens. I hope one day I can use my mobile as second screens so I do the complex editing with the help of a mobile.

I am an Android developer and just submitted an application to make an Android app. We will see what they say. If anyone is interested in writing up a terms of service and privacy policy, I would be greatly appreciative. I do not plan on storing or personally viewing any personal information - It is simply an app for interacting with geni.com - whatever is between you and geni _stays_ between you and geni.

That's great! I don't think I can help you with the ToS, but I'll by willing to try it as soon as you have some version available.

I've been using FamilySearch.org for research and built a tree there (just so I could attach research to profiles before I port the info over to geni). FamilySearch have engineered their record attaching capabilities focused on mobile first. I'm a full-stack developer myself and am amazed at how well their merging tool works. If any Geni engineers are reading this, it's worth your time to create a dummy account and test attaching a record to an existing profile. Geni's merging is similar to their record attaching needs. Also note how well they work when there are multiple names on a record like a census or birth record.

Good news everyone! I have started writing the app! I am starting with Android, basing it on the already well-developed www.familygem.app Family Gem genealogy app. Surprisingly, this is the only genealogy app for Android whose code is publicly available online. The code and its documentation are written in Italian, so the first step is translating the app code and documentation into English. It is already a very aesthetically pleasing app (see screenshots on the site) as it follows the official Android design language (Material design, www.material.io), and has many features, making it a (hopefully) quick process to integrate Geni. You can follow app development progress here: https://github.com/shmueldabomb441/GeniForAndroid .

Great to hear that. I'm already following your github (btw, maybe you could enable the "issues" tab so people can report problems with the app once it's released). Hit me up if you need a betatester.

Private User Thank you! I have enabled issues.

Just alerting everyone on this thread who expressed interest in an app and may want to know that I have started writing one: Alex Moes Private User Private User Private User

Thank you, Shmuli Sternbach! Looking forward to test it!

Showing 31-60 of 65 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion