Rev. John Lathrop - How Many Wives did Rev. John Lathrop (Lothropp) Have Anyway?

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Sunday, November 23, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
11/23/2014 at 10:55 AM

I noticed a recent merge here and decided to check if we needed any post-merge cleaning up and see that he has three wives attached, versus the two that he had. And all three are Master Profiles.

Is this the way we want to leave him or is this the result of the merge?

11/23/2014 at 11:01 AM

Private User and Erica Howton - can you please comment.

11/23/2014 at 11:01 AM

Private User and Erica Howton - can you please comment.

11/23/2014 at 11:03 AM

Hannah Howse (my nth great grandmother) and Anne ??? were his two wives. There is controversy about the surname of Anne but right now he has three wives -- Anne Hammond (maybe Dimock), Anne ??? (maybe Dimock) and Hannah Howse.

Am I missing something?

11/23/2014 at 11:09 AM

Hannah Lathrop Unknown Profile Anne Lathrop

11/23/2014 at 11:13 AM

Hatte, this is from FindaGrave. I hope it helps. Susie

Rev John Lothrop - Lathrop

Birth: Dec. 20, 1584, England
Death: Nov. 8, 1653
Barnstable
Barnstable County
Massachusetts, USA

Rev. John Lothrop - Lathrop was imprisoned in England from 1632 through 1634 due to his religious beliefs. His Wife Hannah died in England in 1634 during Rev. John's imprisonment. He was released from his imprisonment in 1634 and in that same year he sailed from England aboard the ship the Griffin and arrived in Boston, Massachusetts on Sept. 18, 1634. Rev John was accredited with being the Founder of the Barnstable Colony in Massachusetts.

Rev. John and Hannah Howse were married on Oct. 10, 1610 in Eastwell, Kent, England. Children of Rev. John and Hannah Howse are as follows:

Thomas - 1612
Jane - 1614
Anne - 1616
John - 1617
Barbara - 1619
Samuel - 1623
Joseph - 1624
Benjamin - 1626

Rev. John and Ann Hammond were married on Sept. 27, 1634 in Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts. Children of Rev. John and Ann Hammond are as follows:

Elizabeth - 1635
Barnabus - 1636
Abigail - 1639
Bathsheba - 1641
Capt. John - 1644

Family links:
Parents:
Thomas Lothrop - Lathrop (1536 - 1606)
Mary Howell Lothrop- Lathrop (1540 - 1588)

Spouses:
Hannah Howse Lothrop - Lathrop (1594 - 1634)
Ann Hammond Lothrop - Lathrop (1616 - 1686)

Children:
John Lothrop (1644 - 1727)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Lothrop Hill Cemetery
Barnstable
Barnstable County
Massachusetts, USA

Created by: Linda Dianne Lathrop Car...
Record added: Apr 04, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 88068630

11/23/2014 at 11:28 AM

Notes from the profile for Rev's 2nd wife:

Anne Lathrop

Rev, John Lothrop married (2) by 1635, Ann ____. (On 14 Jun 1635, John Lothrop wrote that "my wife and brother Foxwell's wide joined [Scituate church] having their dismission from elsewhere." She died at Barnstable MA on 25 Feb 1687/8. They had 7 children: Barnabas, a daughtrer bur. in Scituate, Abigail Clark, Bathshua Bale Marsh, Elizabeth Williams, John, & a son bur. in Barnstable.

She was not a daughter of WILLIAM HAMMOND {1631, Watertown} In his record of admissions to Scituate church Rev. John Lathrop entered on 14 April 1636 "Elizabeth Hammon my sister having a dismission from the church at Watertown." Lothrop's first wife, Hannah House, was sister of Samuel House; since Lothrop refers to her by maiden name but also calls her sister, the admission to Scituate church may have taken place after the contract of marriage, but before the marriage itself (note, however, that the first child of the couple was baptized on 23 October 1636). Various sources give John Lothrop of Scituate a second wife who was a Hammond; this is based on a false deduction from the entry discussed above.

11/23/2014 at 11:32 AM

Hatte Anne Blejer & Private User

I am merging Unknown Profile into Anne Lathrop. That will give Ann (unknown) back her lost children.

A new daughter of William Hammond, of Watertown & Elizabeth Hammond needs to be made & mastered.

11/23/2014 at 12:21 PM

Susan Angeline Schumacher Lostetter Thank you. With Colonial ancestors I find that many of the Find A Grave entries are unsourced and reflect commonly held but unproven claims. As Erica points out, the assumption that Anne was a Hammond was based on a misreading of Rev. Lathop's statement about "Elizabeth Hammon my sister".

Although Erica can you explain fully why Rev. Lathrop called Elizabeth Hammon his sister?

11/23/2014 at 3:26 PM

Also-
I noticed when I saw a request for a merge that a thomas lathrop in small letters had been added as a son of Hannah House and Rev Lathrop on Sept 2014. However, it indicated that this thomas was married to a Sarah Leonard and they had a child Mary who married Capt William French.
The Thomas Lathrop 1612 son of Rev John Lathrop in the MP says that Thomas married Sarah Learned and a daughter Mary married W French.
I've sent a message to the manager to ask her to double check if the Leonard is an error and should be Learned.

11/23/2014 at 4:27 PM

Thank you Elizabeth MacKenzie. I have done some additional clean-up around the recent merges. There was a john lathrop in small letters also who was the son of Samuel but married to Hannah Howse. I divorced him and merged him with the MP John Lathrop son of Samuel. I think there was some mixing up of generations in the merged trees, and it would be good if people could document here the various issues that need to be fixed.

11/23/2014 at 4:29 PM

It is indeed Learned (a well know family that I am descended from) and not Leonard (another well known family that I am also related to) I believe. I will check.

MPs are an indication that a curator and users have done research in reliable sources and so that is what we should pay attention to (except when the MP gets muddled in merge).

11/23/2014 at 4:42 PM

To answer why older references confused Ann (Hammond) Hawkins Ellis (Hannah ‘Ann’ Barron) with the Rev's 2nd wife is interesting. It shows how kinship terms "evolved", as Ann Hammond was indeed "a sister" (of sorts).

From the profile overview notes for Samuel House, I:

Samuel Howse, or House, brother of Hannah, was baptized 10 June 1610, and came to New England in 1634, probably with his brother-in-law, Rev. John Lothrop.

He settled at Scituate, where he married late in 1635 Elizabeth Hammond, who was born in England about 1619, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Paine) Hammond of Watertown, Mass. Their eldest child, Elizabeth House, was baptized at Scituate 23 Oct. 1636. In Lothrop's Scituate Church Records appears this entry: " Elizabeth Hammon my Sister having a dismission from the church at Watertowne was joyned April 14, 1636." Although here mentioned by her maiden name, this Elizabeth Hammond had certainly been married before this date to Samuel House, and she was called " my sister " by Lothrop clearly because she was the wife of Samuel House, whose sister, Hannah House, had been Lothrop's first wife.

11/23/2014 at 4:47 PM

Okay folks, I'm doing some cleanup in this family now. There seem to be a number of issues.

11/23/2014 at 5:05 PM

Torrey's New England Marriages Prior to 1700 has
Lothrop, John (1584-1653) & 1/wf Hannah House; m lic, Oct 10, 1610 in Eng.
Lothrop, John (1584-1653) & 2wf ?Ann Hammond; ca 1635; Scituate/Barnstable. There is no third wife.
Anderson's The Great Migration series has
Marriage: (1) Eastwell, Kent 16 October 1610 Hannah House [TAG 70:251], daughter of Rev. John House [TAG:250-51]; NEHGR 66;356-58, 67:260-61]. She dies in London about 1633, while her husband was in prison [Burrage 2:298].
(2) By 1635 Ann ____(on June 14,1635, John Lathrop wrote that "my wife and brother Foxwell's wife joined [Scituate church] having their discussion from elsewhere" [NEHGR 9:279. She died at Barnstable on Feb. 25, 1687/8 [MD 6:238]. (She was not a daughter of William Hammond {1631, Watertown} [GMB 2:853-54].)

11/23/2014 at 5:09 PM

Interesting that Torrey had the discredited name of wife.

I was just re reading this resource

http://books.google.com/books?id=7v7ms2Nh_3MC&lpg=PA357&ots...

The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Volume 66

11/23/2014 at 5:22 PM

I always prefer The Great Migration as it is the most up-to-date and uses the best previous sources. I own it now even though I also have a subscription to NEHGS.

Very good post Steven Tim Kilburn.

11/23/2014 at 5:30 PM

Can someone look at this gal who has too many husbands?

Anne Nevel

Ref site (has good citations):

http://cybergata.com/roots/2181.htm

11/23/2014 at 5:42 PM

Oh blimey.

It's "another" now discredited daughter of William Hammond!

In the notes for Ann Dymoke

Who was Anne Dymoke?

The maiden name of Ann (Anne), thought to have been born about 1610, wife of Thomas Dimick, has been the subject of much discussion. Amos Otis, an early genealogist, concluded she was Anne, daughter of William Hammond of Watertown, MA.2 He based his conclusion on the statement of Rev. Lathrop (Lothrop) of Barnstable, that Samuel House, Robert Linnett, and Thomas Dimmock were his brothers-in-law. On the basis of evidence now available, this long-standing presumption is incorrect.

11/23/2014 at 5:44 PM

(continuing because it's interesting about kinship and church membership)

Jacobus pointed out that it is now known that Samuel House was brother of Lothrop’s first wife, explaining the relationship of Lothrop to House, so that the marriage of House to Elizabeth Hammond had no bearing here. Jacobus said it appears certain that Dimick’s wife was not a sister of Lothrop nor of Lothrop’s first wife; and that it is unlikely Dimick’s wife Ann was a sister of Lothrop’s second wife, Ann, as it was rare for sisters to have the same name. Linnett (Linnell) was referred to by Rev. Lothrop as "my brother" for the reason that Linnett’s wife and Rev. Lothrop’s first wife were sisters. (NER, July 1913, pp. 260, 261.) The likeliest solution, according to Jacobus, is that Lothrop’s second wife was a sister of Thomas Dimick. That suggestion will be discussed below.

William Hammond of Watertown, MA, did have two daughters named Anne, one baptized 19 Nov. 1609, and the second baptized 14 July 1616. (Bond, Early Settlers of Watertown, MA., 1860, p. 1860.)

When two children of a husband and the same wife are given the same first name, usually the first child of that name died before the birth of the second. The first Anne Hammond of this family died 7 June 1615. The Anne Hammond baptized in 1616, married first a Timothy Hawkins who died ca. 1650. She married second Ellis Barron, as his second wife; and she died 1 Sept. 1685. (Frederick Stam Hammond, Hammond Families in America, 1902, vol. 1, pp. 53-62).

Clearly, neither of the Anne Hammond daughters of William Hammond of Watertown, MA, was the wife of elder Thomas Dimick. Ann _____, wife of Elder Thomas, died probably about 1686 at Barnstable, MA. (Eno, Bradford-Dimock Ancestors of Charles Sidney Pitcher, 1916, p. 11).

Rev. Lothrop’s church records include; "No. 33 – Elizabeth Hammon, my sister, having a dismission from the church at Watertowne was joyned April 14 1636". Charles Leonard Lathrop was of the opinion this church member was the sister of Rev. Lothrop’s new wife. It is not known whether the minister used "my sister" in the sense of a family relationship, or merely as a reference to a fellow church member, as was sometimes the custom. The Elizabeth Hammon here was not the daughter of William Hammond of Watertown, but the widow of another William Hammond who died in London, Eng. This widow Elizabeth Hammond, with her son Benjamin, and daughters Elizabeth, Martha, and Rachel, arrived in Boston 18 Sept. 1634 in the ship Griffin, on which Rev. John Lothrop, their minister, was also a passenger. She lived in Boston and Watertown, MA until 1638 when she joined Rev. Lothrop’s church in Scituate April 1638 as the 33rd member of that church. She probably returned to Boston late in 1639, as she died and was buried there in 1640. She has been described as Elizabeth Penn, sister of the Admiral, Sir William Penn, and aunt to William Penn, the Quaker. (Roland Hammond, A.M., M.D., Descendants of William Hammond of London, Eng., 1894, pp. 9, 10.)

11/23/2014 at 5:45 PM

I swear we've been through this all before Erica Howton. But at least we're using the Discussion Tab now and will have this to remind us next time.

11/23/2014 at 6:05 PM

And really good notes in the overviews. The uploaded documents / links to books really help also.

11/23/2014 at 9:13 PM

==comments==

Grace Barron was Found as daughter of [Judith Hele, Heiress of Poole Manor Judith Hele] & [Admiral Sir Richard Hawkins, MP Admiral Sir John Hawkins]. However they did not have a daughter named Grace. Disconnected as parents Nov 2014.

11/24/2014 at 5:03 AM

@Rev John Lathrop-I'm totally confused about my possible kinship to the Lathrop family, but IF it's correct, I am also a direct descendant of Benjamin Hammond, son of the widow Elizabeth (Penn?) Hammond. I'm already getting jittery just thinking of all those identical names which indicate totally different people!!!

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion