Sir William de Tracy, Kt. - Partners and Children of William de Tracy II

Started by Terry Jackson (Switzer) on Monday, April 20, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts
4/20/2015 at 10:11 AM

Wikipedia and Medlands do not seem to agree and confusion reigns.
Either:
William de Tracy s/o John de Sudely m: wife unknown had a daughter who married Gervase de Courtenay and they had a son Oliver de Tracy
Or:
William de Tracy s/o John de Sudely m: Hawise (or Rohese) de Bourne and they had son Henry de Tracy of Barnstable
Or:
Wm de Tracy s/o John de Sudely m: Pomperi (or simliar) they had chld unknown who married Oliver Champernon
Or
Wm de Tracy s/o John de Sudely m wife unknown and had son Olion de Tracy
Also:
Other children have also been attached as offspring of Wm and Hawise.

4/20/2015 at 11:42 AM

While you're going about it, there are 3 William de Tracy profiles that claim to have murdered Thomas Becket - they aren't even in the same generation.

Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
4/20/2015 at 2:36 PM

Only one person says:
"Wm de Tracy s/o John de Sudely m: Pomperi (or simliar) they had child unknown who married Oliver Champernon "
Let's cut that one out of the Master Profile right away.

I cannot find any reference to a "Pomperi" anywhere...

I have written to the profile mgr and there is no answer...

2nd:
(for Linda esp) Can we limit the assassin to one William who was alive and of the necessary age to have been the one who off-ed Sit Ta'B?

Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
4/20/2015 at 2:49 PM

I have a hope from the outset: That we will not accept myth or hearsay for inclusion in this profile unless it is identified as such...
William de Tracy, a killer of Thomas a Becket is an historical figure.

Here's the Medlands link for what its worth
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISHNOBILITYMEDIEVAL3T-Z.htm

4/20/2015 at 3:02 PM

Okay so I've detached Pomperi. I've spotted that the children of Hawise are all wrong. Should I detach them to and add the two correct children? Opinons?

4/20/2015 at 5:20 PM

Thanks for the link, Michael! What I got from FMG Medlands is that there are 2 branches of the Tracy family: Barnstaple & Toddington. The subject profile is listed as a Toddington Tracy. It looks like the children listed are a mixture of both branches.
I have 2 lines here: Jane Vampage (Tracy) & her brother, Olion - ancestor of Stephen Tracy, Puritan. Looks to me like they belong in a different branch...Oliver, also. And, I'm wondering if Olion is actually Oliver? Couldn't find any mention of an Olion, but could believe it was a case of bad penmanship.

There doesn't appear to be a profile for the Barnstaple William who, BTW, is the murderer of Becket per Medlands. This Toddington William has 2 Geni profiles, which appear to be the same except for their http address.

So, which children were you pruning & which are you adding?

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion