Please Help to Add Sources & details to Abouts on the Jonker Tree

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, June 19, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
6/19/2015 at 9:59 AM

I've finished the broad strokes of the tree - using the primary source data from Em Lo And http://www.stamouers.com/index.php/stamouers/surnames-h-to-j/231-jo.

I've unlocked all the profiles (Please yell if I've missed any)
So we now need everybody to come and peruse, & correct/ update the fine details.

Please use and quote original sources where you can.
I've used MPing, Curator Notes & Field Locked Names to try and prevent mis merges - (especially of the proliferation of Rosettas - where I've opted to keep them separate unless/until we find good evidence that any two of them are the same woman.)

So - please don't initiate merges without starting a Discussion from the profile first.

6/19/2015 at 4:30 PM

Hi Sharon, I see the two tables with key information is missing from the Stamouers article clarifying Adolph Jonker's ancestry - copied and pasted here in Geni into the Adolph Jonker Ancestry Puzzle area. I will email you an original copy with the tables not in graphics format, so you can try and add this vital information please. If tables cannot be added it will be better to reference the stamouers site directly than to copy part of the data here - one really needs ALL the data including what's in the tables to get a reasonable (albeit still not as detailed as in Familia) overwiew of the 'big picture."

6/19/2015 at 11:21 PM

That would be great Em. You're a star!

Private User
6/22/2015 at 12:53 AM

Thanks Em. That wouild be great. Can't we add it as a sources. Jaco Strauss?

6/22/2015 at 1:48 AM

Hi Judi, it will be best to keep the flow of information it in the original order here on Geni, so that all the info is presented in logical order and people do not have to go hunting for the detail elsewhere. The tables read well among the text where they are placed in the stamouers website, and help the reader to make sense of the argument. I think separating tables from text will not be good - if the tables can't be added in table or graphics format, I'd rather just have a link straight to Stamouers. Sharon has the tables in both formats, I am confident she can make it work! ☺

6/22/2015 at 1:54 AM

Em - I don’t think the wikitext functionality on Geni can show tables; but I do think we might be able to add them as graphics into the middle of the text. I’ve not done that ever, but two SA Curators who may be able to help me add them into the correct place on the project text are Private User & Private User. I've forwarded your emailed graphics to them too, so let's wait to hear back from them.

At the moment, the two table references on the project are hypertexted to link to the Stamouers page directly.

Private User
6/22/2015 at 1:58 AM

If you create a jpg of the table it can be inserted into the project - see http://www.geni.com/projects/index/8404 on how to do that - you need to play around with the size of the jpg you use so that it isn't too big in the project. Alternatively add a link to a pdf

6/22/2015 at 2:03 AM

Hi June, can you please have a play with the graphics and see if you can get them to sit where they should? That will be sweet! ☺

6/22/2015 at 8:02 AM

Thanks Private User.

6/23/2015 at 6:06 AM

Finally...photo success!!! Thanks for the guidance June! ☺

7/7/2015 at 3:02 PM

Hi Sharon, I am all for trying to untangle the Rosettas, because clearly one or more of the Rosetta van Bengalen's had children with one or more Jan/Johannes Jansz/e's and would thus be SM/SV's.

I am just wondering what the rationale is behind adding these many the Rosettas van Bengale x Jan/Johannes Jansz/e to the Jonker Ancestry Puzzle, if there is absolutely no ancestral connection between them and stamvader Adolph Jonker (the identity of his mother is clear from many documents, and is NOT a Rosetta van Bengale x Jan/Johennes Jansz/e)? Could this not cause more confusion than clarity to the project, or am I missing something? ☺

7/8/2015 at 1:16 AM

Em, the reason is practical: I'm linking them to the project so I can find them when I come back to them. They're not connected to the world tree so they float off as driftwood if they're not attached to a project, and a search for Rosetta is a bit arduous everytime you want to work on them - when there are so many same name profiles.

I'm using the Adolph Jonker Puzzle project because they arose out of that, and identifying and locking what is NOT connected to Jonker is as important to the puzzle as identifying and locking what is.

I didn't, however, expect quite so many Rosettas to come out of the woodwork. So, i'ts very much a work in progress - One possible solution is to create a separate 'Rosettas' project; another is to change the name of this project.

7/8/2015 at 1:45 AM

Ahhhh...now making more sense thanks!! ☺

I think your idea of a separate Rosetta project sounds like a great one! That way they will not cause any confusion in the Adolph Jonker Ancestry Puzzle project (It is clear which Rosetta (Indonesian) was his mother and which Rosetta van Bengale was her close friend and former owner)

But the large amount of Rosettas from the Indian subcontinent, particularly Bengale definitely can do with untangling. (Perhaps the many Jan/Johannes Jansz/e too!!)

How about transferring the information currently in the Untangling the Rosettas page Untangling the Rosettas to a project page of the same name (nice and descriptive!), and then adding all the Rosettas to it and deleting all but the 2 Rosettas who has a documented connection to Adolph Jonker (Rosetta van Java/Boegies his mother, and Rosetta van Bengale married to Aron/Arend van Balij their close family friend and former owner of his mother) from the "Adolph Jonker Ancestry Puzzle" project page?

That way all the Rosettas (and any additional ones identified...) can be 'untangled' in time.This will definitely be a long-term project! ☺

7/8/2015 at 1:58 AM

Good idea. Will do, the moment I get some time.

7/9/2015 at 3:10 AM

Thanks for your tireless work, Sharon Doubell!

7/9/2015 at 3:49 AM

Yes I must agree Johann, Sharon your commitment to getting people and facts 'untangled' in pursuit of the truth is wonderful and very much appreciated!! A big thanks too to Judi and Marie and everyone else assisting you in this task - you guys make a great team!! ☺

6/29/2016 at 6:49 AM

Okay, I finally created the project for Untangling the Rosettas: https://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-Slaves-Untangling-The-R...!
All interested are encouraged to join

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion