Started by Erica Howton on Friday, June 26, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 21 posts
6/26/2015 at 11:03 PM

Here's what to expect from the summer season lineup, according to TLC:

· Tom Bergeron, who is aware of his French Canadian roots on his paternal side, but wants to know what brought his ancestors to North America. He goes as far back as his 10x great grandmother to find the answer.

· Bryan Cranston, who comes to discover an unfortunate pattern amongst the men in his family.

· Ginnifer Goodwin, who sets out to learn about her mysterious paternal great grandparents, whom her father, regretfully, does not know much about either.

· Alfre Woodard, who strives to find out more about the paternal side of her family, and explores how her surname came to be.

· J.K. Rowling, who sets off to uncover her maternal French roots and discovers a surprising twist in an old family war story. (US broadcast of UK show)

Starting July 26 2015 9 pm ET on TLC

From http://www.businessinsider.com/tlc-who-do-you-think-you-are-summer-...

6/27/2015 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for the update Erica Howton.

Private User
6/29/2015 at 6:04 AM

Thanks for posting, Erica Howton! Looking forward to Cranston and Woodard in particular. :) But these are all great choices.

Although she's going to be on the upcoming UK season, not the U.S. one, Jerry Hall (who is apparently Jerry Jagger to the English even though she's Jerry Hall to us?) is American and the UK team has requested our help with her. Since it looks like we don't have much to work with for the U.S. "cast," adding one more person to our workload shouldn't be too bad. :) June says she has Cherokee ancestry.

Private User
6/29/2015 at 6:09 AM

Oh, and my love Conan O'Brien mentioned recently that he was asked to submit his family info and DNA. That makes complete sense and I've actually been wondering what took so long -- executive producer Lisa Kudrow is his ex-girlfriend and one of his best, oldest friends. I imagine they'll get to him in a season or two? (Hopefully they reveal the answer to the @Denis Leary mystery!)

Private User
6/29/2015 at 7:06 AM

J. K. Rowling will probably be a rerun of her episode from the UK edition. She's not in the WFT.

No profiles for the other four.

Promo/recruiting post made on the general Geni discussions board. :)

6/29/2015 at 10:27 AM

Anyone wants to start trees I'm up for adding to them. I am fans of all of the above. Took a quick look at Jerry Hall & no light bulbs; Alfre is going to be census slog. Apparently each of her parents is one of 12 (oye)

6/29/2015 at 7:10 PM

Alfre Woodard started

... and her grandparents each have 22 siblings ....

7/14/2015 at 6:16 AM

Working my way through this... Tom Bergeron is added and linked to the WFT. J. K. Rowling is now linked to the WFT in a very roundabout way. And I've added a good deal to Jerry Hall as well.

7/20/2015 at 1:03 AM

You also got Ginnifer Goodwin & Bryan Cranston! Great work, Geoffrey. Let us know any edges, could fill in.

8/30/2015 at 10:41 PM

Best for last! The season finale tonight was wonderful.

Tom Bergeron found his ancestress, a founding matriarch of America. Described a bit here:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28/who-do-you-think-you-are-tom-b...

You may be able to view on line here soon ?

http://www.tv.com/shows/who-do-you-think-you-are/tom-bergeron-3198814/

She was this person

Marie Marguerite Ardion, Fille du Roi

Who was Canada's equivalent of a Mayflower passenger --- that is, Colonial "royalty", a Fille du Roi

http://www.geni.com/projects/Filles-du-roi/13635

Private User
8/31/2015 at 12:54 AM

Anne Elisabeth Couturier
Would have been interesting if they also had found, Toms gm+++ here on Geni. ; )

Private User
8/31/2015 at 5:36 AM

Fernando I el Justo, rey de Aragón is Anne Elisabeth Couturier's 7th great grandfather.

Anne Elisabeth Couturier (DeTarragon)
Born: 14 februari 1651
France
Dead: 5 oktober 1692 (41)
Canada, Province of Quebec, Yamaska, St-Francois

Tom Bergeron is Anne Elisabeth Couturier's 8th great grandson.

If it's false, why is it on Geni, if it's true, how can a purchased and shipped out woman from France to Canada be more interesting?

8/31/2015 at 7:51 AM

Ulf, maybe they just didn't cover that story in the TV show.

Marguerite's origins were fascinating history for me. Her father was a protestant Master Mason in La Rochelle. In 1627 King Louis Vlll lay siege to the city for a year. 15,000 people starved to death before they surrendered.

Private User
8/31/2015 at 8:06 AM

Yes, I understand, but for me this is a phenomen, it's like the time before 1600 almost doesn't count. I understand that for americans, the Mayflowers passengers almost are like an holy grail, for canadians, it could maybe be the filles du Roy, that would perhaps be the equal for a swede having Gustav Vasa as his forefather, still, it so small minded.

8/31/2015 at 8:27 AM

Ulf it's the format of the television show. I know the show is also in Norway, do they not concentrate on one story / exploration in the 48 minutes at hand? If it was a mini series perhaps they could cover more of someone's tree !

8/31/2015 at 8:41 AM

Another point about the way the show is organized.

They start by asking the guest: what in your family tree (specifically) do you want to find out more about?

For Alfre Woodard - "how did my surname of Woodard" come about?" NB: she was more knowledgeable of her mother's side of the family already

For J.K. Rowling - "what were my grandfather's French origins?" (answer - they were German ... For a short time).

So Tom Bergeron already knew his ancestry was from France. His question was: "what brought them to America?"

That's not the question you're asking ....

Private User
8/31/2015 at 9:16 AM

No, because I know why people went to america, persuasion, colonization, starvation, poorness, that combined with countries in Europe's need for more resources due to expanding populations. Even little Sweden, that under the beginning of this time were like a superpower nation also had their colonies and ambitions in other continents, but the most swedes emigrated very late in the end of 1800 and the beginning of 1900, almost 1 million leaved and the majority did it because of poverty.

Private User
8/31/2015 at 9:24 AM

In Sweden the TV show is called, Vem tror du att du är?
http://www.svt.se/vem-tror-du-att-du-ar/se-program/
If it can be watched outside Sweden, I don't know. If we have a project connected with that show here on Geni, I don't know, it would surprise me if there was, because of the extreme self centering that's existing in our country, me me me, who's you? Don't care...unless you are rich and famous, but not so much that I would create a project for that, anyway.

8/31/2015 at 10:12 AM

The guests on Swedish "who do you think you are" are indeed listed on the project page for http://www.geni.com/projects/Who-Do-You-Think-You-Are/5083

Perhaps Swedish members on Geni would be kind enough to add their profles to the project & hyperlink them also on the front page.

Private User if you have any suggestions ....

Private User
8/31/2015 at 10:52 AM

Well, don't get me wrong, I like Tom Bergeron, my 25th cousin and I have watched almost all of his America's funniest home videos episodes, that without knowing we were distant related. The most people in US "Who Do You Think You Are?" are well-known in Sweden as we run a lot of your TV series here.

8/31/2015 at 12:09 PM

So Tom was not much of a "funny guy" in this show. He was deeply & unexpectedly moved by Marguerite's story. She was one brave (and enterprising) woman; born into a horrific time & place; orphaned by 14; died too young (mid 40s); but left a legacy of 8 children and a thriving farm. A life well lived and an ancestor to honor.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion