Where do I get started?

Started by Jose Henrique Lamensdorf on Saturday, August 29, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
8/29/2015 at 2:30 PM

My parents are listed on Dan Hirschberg's trees, just as my mother's sisters, and their husbands. That's a starting point.
I've added both my parents with the Actions | Add profiles, and nothing happened.
Both were born in Krakow, as well as their ancestors, as far back as the 1700-1800. However AFAIK they were the last from both trees there to leave Poland. I was born in Sao Paulo, Brazil, two years after they arrived here.
Two aunts on my mother's side (the third one died in the Holocaust) played their roles in my childhood, I knew them well, both have descendants living here in Brazil. I had the chance to give Dan some input on them.
To my surprise, my mother's family is listed as ROSENFELD/WERMUTH. Quite frankly, I had never heard of Wermuth before having seen Dan's list. My grandmother on my mother's side's WETZSTEIN is also listed there.
My father's family, LAMENSDORF, is not listed. Though a large number of it emigrated to the USA in 1890, my great-grandfather stayed in Krakow, and had numerous children, and ensuing generations. One of his descendants, Henryk Lamensdorf, according to Wikipedia, built - among other things - two synagogues in Krakow, which are still standing, though no longer used as places of worship. My grandparents' restaurant at Ulica Lubicz, 15 is still in operation, though under new management, of course.

I managed to connect my branch to those Americans of 1890 on MyHeritage, which would have been impossible (yes, I tried!) here on Geni. Now it's time to move data (manually :-( ) from MyH to Geni, where I intend to connect many loose people I found on Shoreshim and JRI-Poland. I'd like to take the chance to add them to the Jewish Families of Krakow Project as well.

Is there any tutorial anywhere on what I should do, if anything?

Where can I see the "Krakow Tree", if there is one?

Thanks in advance.

Jose

8/30/2015 at 2:33 AM

Pam Karp maybe you can lend a hand?

8/30/2015 at 4:29 AM

Jose Henrique Lamensdorf

I was unable to open this link you previously sent to me http://www.geni.com/share?t=6000000027177190051.
It would be helpful if you could resend, maybe this URL is incomplete.

Have a look at the Jewish Families of Krakow project where you will find many of the family names you mentioned in your post above.

http://www.geni.com/projects/Jewish-Families-of-Kraków-Poland/12917
It is one of Geni's larger Town Projects and lists the families that once lived in the city, most of whom are related to each other.

To add profiles to a project:

Top of any screen select RESEARCH
From the drop down menu choose the PROJECTS dashboard
Enter NAME of the project you are seeking
Click on hyperlinked name of project

Remember, before you can add profiles to the project you need to become a collaborator/join the project. From project or your own page go to

ACTIONS. Top right of the screen
Select JOIN PROJECT from the drop down menu
Someone will approve your request

Once you are a collaborator you can add any PUBLIC profile to a project.

This should get you on the way. I am sending you a pm re families mentioned above.

8/30/2015 at 6:56 AM

Thanks, Pam!

Let's take one step at a time. The link seems okay. Maybe it's a browser issue. I have all the common browsers, MSIE, Chrome, Firefox, but my favorite is SeaMonkey, the current version of Netscape, developed by some Mozilla team members who - like me - didn't like Firefox.

Here it goes again, drawn from the Share Your Tree page:
http://www.geni.com/share?t=6000000027177190051

Yes, I've seen many related surnames, and a few family-unrelated yet known ones. Jews from Krakow who emigrated to Sao Paulo, Brazil, in both WWs times kept in touch, so I knew many of them as a child/teenager.

For instance, there is a Leon Feuerstein here. I incidentally met him on the street last year, he is much younger than my parents were (they'd be 106 years old today, if still alive). Not related to me, however he used to sit beside my father at the synagogue, so I met him every year on Rosh Hashanah. He recognized me immediately. I searched on Geni (since the surname IS listed), found another Leon Feuerstein in the USA.

Now I'll keep this tab open, try the rest, and come back here to report my results.

Okay, I've been to the JFK page (the airport too :-)) several times.

I see that I've already joined the project a while ago, found myself on Page 6, so I guess I've been approved. Four people so far have joined after me.

I got four e-mails from Geni saying that Oton Zagorc has completed merges on some people on my tree.

As I understand it, I'd have to add names/profiles from my tree, one by one. I saw the system helps in that, but it seems there is no adding entire branches at once. Is this correct?

Next, I wonder if there is a limit, a drawn line. I mean, though my parents, and their entire ancestry, as long as I could find them (1700s) lived in Krakow. However I am not a Krakowiak, unfortunately never been there, the closest I ever got was Zürich. Should I be in or out?

Then I'll be on the way... where?

I'd expect to fill in gaps, correct b/d dates, and connect unconnected branches, much like MyHeritage, however with a wider scope.

Some surnames on Dan's list that are related to me:
ARMER - My mother's sister first husband.
DEICHES - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
EINTRACHT - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
FISCHLOWICZ - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
FLEISCHER - Marek Fleischer, first husband of my father's first cousin lived here in Sao Paulo, left descendants.
FRENKEL - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
GELDWERTH - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
GENENDEL - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
GOLDSTOFF - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
GROSS - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
GUTWIRTH - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
HAUPTMANN - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
HEUBLUM - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
HIRSCHBERG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
HIRSCHSPRUNG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
HOCHBAUM - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
HOFFMANN - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
HOROWITZ - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
INFELD - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
JUDKIEWICZ - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
KATZ - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
KATZNER - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
KAUFMAN - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
KORNBLUM - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
KRONENGOLD - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
KURTZ - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
LANDAU - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
LEINZEIG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
LIPSCHUTZ - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
LORIE - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
MANSFELD - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
MESSER - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
METZGER - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
MUNTZER - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
NUSSBAUM - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
PITZELE - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
PUFELES - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
RABINOWICZ - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
RAKOWER - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
REISFELD - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
RITTERMAN - Six generatiions my ancestor, on my mother's side.
ROSENBERG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
ROSENFELD - My mother's maiden surname.
ROSENZWEIG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
ROSNER - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
SALZBERG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
SCHNEIDER - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
SCHULDENFREI - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
SCHWARTZ - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
SCHWARZWALD - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
SILBERSTEIN - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
SPERLING - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
SPIRA - Found two and linked on MyHeritage.
STEIN - Found two and linked on MyHeritage.
STEINBERG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
STERNBERG - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
STERNLICHT - Five generations my ancestor on my father's side.
SUSSKIND - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
THORN - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
TILLES - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
UMLAUF - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
WEINDLING - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
WEINREB - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
WEINSTEIN - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
WEINSTOCK - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
WEISS - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
WETZSTEIN - My grandmother on my mother's side's maiden name.
WIDMANN - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
ZELINGER - Found and linked on MyHeritage.
ZUCKER - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.
ZUCKERMAN - Found one and linked on MyHeritage.

Some surnames on Dan's list that I have met in Sao Paulo:
AUERBACH - Thomas Auerbach ives in the building next to mine, thiugh I suspect he has German ancestry. His wife (Hungarian) was my neighbor, we went to the same school when we were teens.
BAND - Silvio Band is the second husband of a long-standing friend of mine (born in Warsaw). Just one phone call away.
EHRLICH - Leopoldo Ehrlich was this same friend of mine's first husband, however his mother, Isabella was German.
CYGLER - Lesia Cygler (Polish) was a friend of my mother, here in Sao Paulo. Would take some local searching to find if she left any descendants here.
FEUERSTEIN - Leon Feuerstein, as mentioned above. I could locate him.
GRABER - Iliana Graber is a friend of a friend of mine. I think I met her once, decades ago. Two phone calls away.
KANTOR - Lea Kantor is the maiden name of a friend of mine's mother.
KURC (Polish spelling for the German KURTZ) - Rosana Kurc is a colleague of mine here.
LERNER - I know one Walter Lerner, and there is another one with the same name here. Sheila Lerner is the daughter of a late friend of my mother's, she is a well-known art curator.
OFFEN - Jadwiga and Karol Offen were friends of my parents. I recall they were present at my barmitzvah.
SCHLESINGER - Friends of my parents. I can quickly contact their sons. One of them married Lea Kantor's (see above) daughter.
SOBEL - Henry Sobel was a popular rabbi here, he celebrated my first marriage. Now living in the USA.
STRASSMAN - Victor Strassman is a famous surgeon in Sao Paulo. His parents were my parents' friends in Krakow.
TILLES - Friend of my wife's here in Sao Paulo.

So many people from Krakow moved to Sao Paulo, that every time I read "Kraków, Małopolskie" (= "Small Poland" in my very lame Polish), I wonder whether they mean Sao Paulo, Brazil. ;-)

If anyone is researching any of the surnames above, they can be found at http://www.myheritage.com/site-250487061/lamensdorf .

I'd like to move all the data available there that is missing on Geni, and integrate it to the Krakow town genealogy, however this doesn't seem an easy task.

8/30/2015 at 9:10 AM

We do have a tool - a Chrome browser extension - that copies over profiles from MyHeritage & Ancestry.com trees, a family group at a time. This seems like a perfect use of it; there will be a lot of overlapping trees on Geni already, and then gaps your tree data can fill / link up. So if you have / can install Chrome, let us know, and I'll help walk you through the tool.

8/30/2015 at 2:14 PM

Hello Erica,

Yes, I have Chrome and Smart Copy. Used it a couple of times, which caused some duplicates to show up, had some trouble cleaning up the mess.

What I lack is exactly how to select the point, i.e. the profile I should select to do a merge, from the top down (more ancient, and including their children) or from the bottom up (newest, then their parents, and so on)?

8/30/2015 at 4:08 PM

I work bottom up.

8/30/2015 at 7:19 PM

((( i use seamonkey under linux never had problem)))

8/30/2015 at 7:50 PM

I have to leave you with the technical experts here. My limit is the Chrome browser extension and Smart Copy.

8/31/2015 at 3:28 AM

Well, I'll give it a try, starting from the bottom up.

9/13/2021 at 11:34 AM

Hi
Can you tell me more about the Sternlicht family? Thank you

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion