Detached Tree Branch

Started by Chuck Schoenfeld on Thursday, October 29, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
10/29/2015 at 10:59 AM

I have a detached branch on my tree because I'm not sure of the relationship of my Great Grandmother's first cousin Sam Gutin. I have his entire family in an unconnected branch.

My Great Grandmother is Celia Stellman. Her maiden name is Ossinosky (spelling could be wrong and might also be spelled Ossinovsky, Osinofsky, Osnofsky). Her father is Jacob Ossinosky (sic).

I'd like to connect the Gutin branch but need to know who's parent is a sibling of whom.

Private User
10/31/2015 at 6:24 AM

You could temporarily connect the branch somewhere that looks more or less plausible, and then disconnect it again - once a profile or branch has been connected to the Big Tree, it *stays* flagged as "connected" for as long as it continues to exist in any form.

11/3/2015 at 1:45 PM

I'm not sure how this would help me?

Private User
11/3/2015 at 9:57 PM

I checked, and both branches are already connected to the Big Tree - just not to each other. Ms. Stellman nee Ossinosky is a very distant relative of my brother-in-law, through a complicated path. No joy with the Gutins yet.

Private User
11/3/2015 at 11:30 PM

Logically, if Sam Gutin is Celia Ossinosky's first cousin, the link is either partially or totally maternal - that is, their mothers were sisters, or his mother was her father's sister, or her mother was his father's sister.

I'd put my bet on a sister-sister relationship, myself.

11/4/2015 at 5:52 AM

I had figured out the 3 possible relationships.

You notified me of several Ginsburgs. Although we have the spelling different, do you believe they are related to my Great-Grandmother's half sister Riva Ginsberg?

Private User
11/5/2015 at 5:02 AM

I would say it's a distinct possibility and should be looked into. Sent you requests to add yourself as manager because they aren't Public.

Private User
11/5/2015 at 5:13 AM

Incidentally, here's the (short) path between Celia Stellman and my brother-in-law: he's her granddaughter's husband's aunt's husband's brother's wife's nephew's wife's first cousin once removed's wife's nephew's wife's first cousin.

Not sure if this will, or can, lead to anything but I'll bet that path could be shortened with more information!

11/5/2015 at 8:39 AM

How did you come up with Rose Ginsburg (Gutin)?

Rose Ginsburg

Private User
11/5/2015 at 10:17 AM

Came up during Google searching for Abe or Abraham Gutin. This link http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2019/Albany%20NY%20Knickerbocker... led to an obit for Rose Gutin Ginsberg who was sister to Abraham, Joseph and Samuel Gutin (latter two deceased), plus named deceased husband and surviving sons.

In case there was any doubt, this one http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2019/Albany%20NY%20Knickerbocker... specified that Abraham Gutin was "of Cincinnati, Ohio".

I'm not sure "66" is correct for her age, but that might have been all she would admit to.

Private User
11/5/2015 at 10:18 AM

GinsbUrg, excuse typo.

Wonder if there is any connection to Ruth Bader Ginsburg's deceased husband? You never know....

Private User
11/5/2015 at 12:27 PM

You said Riva was your Great-Grandmother's half sister? Which half - paternal, or maternal?

And can you tell me more about "Beumi Picklin"? (I'm not getting anywhere with that one.)

11/5/2015 at 1:04 PM

My mistake. Celia, Riva, and Beumi are all full sisters.

Private User
11/5/2015 at 1:17 PM

Oops - Betty Gooten alias Gutin just went Private because *she's still alive*, or was earlier this year when she received a civic award from Cincinnati VA Medical Center.

Betty Gooten joined the Navy in 1944 and went through boot camp at Hunter College in Bronx, N.Y. and was stationed at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Farragut Naval Training Station in Idaho. She worked in the medical dispensary in Bremerton Wash. and achieved the rank of pharmacist mate second class. After service, Betty was the fifth female bank officer for a major banking institution in Cincinnati and retired after 30 years. She has been recognized for her 22 years of volunteer service at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and was nominated for the Martin Luther King Award. To quote her nominator, “At the age of 89, Betty continues to exhibit great pride in her service during WWII, never missing an opportunity to share stories and pictures and extol the values learned during her years of serving her country. http://www.cincinnati.va.gov/Women_Veteran_Award_Recipients.asp

Your choice - Private or Public? (She apparently has never married, but I did find out her mother's name: Minnie Pinsky.)

9/29/2022 at 7:06 AM

Is there a way via DNA testing of descendants to connect these two?

Samuel Gutin

Celia Stellman

Private User
10/4/2022 at 7:28 AM

What relationship are you thinking exists?
What would that imply for the relationship between living descendants?

3rd cousins have great grandparent who were siblings.
3rd cousins will show a DNA Match about 90% of the time.
If people have not done any DNA testing, there will be sales in Nov and Dec - good time to get a bunch tested

Or, test at Ancestry by / before Oct 10, while it is on sale. But it does not have a Chromosome Browser, so not a good choice if just doing for this.

You want all to have results at the same site, and that site to have a Chromosome Browser.
At FTDNA = familytreedna.com the test wanted for this is Family Finder The other sites just have one test.
You can upload results from other sites to FTDNA or MyHeritage free of charge, tho to use the Chromosome Browser or see ethnicity, you have to unlock for a one time charge (or have a paid subscription at MyHeritage for it)
FTDNA s the only one you can connect to Geni.

You want to try to get the furthest back generations among the descendants of each to test. Preferably more than one from each.

Private User
10/4/2022 at 7:42 AM

My choice would be, the Family Finder test at FTDNA .
It is the only one you can connect to Geni.
MyHeritage still does not show the X chromosome, FTDNA and 23andMe do.
You cannot transfer results into 23andMe, plus they limit the matches they show you.
Ancestry does not have a Chromosome Browser.

You want the Chromosome Browser because matching folks on the same segment(s) is one way to confirm descended from the same ancestors.

If you are looking to find the most matches, many recommend testing at Ancestry, then uploading results to other sites.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion