Started by Erica Howton on Monday, January 25, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
1/25/2016 at 5:43 PM

From Geni member J Sherman Jan 2016:

Hopefully this is helpful. The mother of Rachel Atwood, is actually Rachel Bates, not the alleged Jane Cowper (Cooper) etc.

The recent (2005) research showed that William Batchelor married Rachel Bates on Sept 19, 1625 in Biddenden (which is roughly 20 miles from her parents home area of Lydd. (TAG 80 (2005) 23).

The Jane who is married to a William Batchelor is most likely a different William. Batchelor was a common name.

- disconnected Jane Batchelder & set up a different William Batchelder husband for her, Jan 2016

====

Also - note in profile says NOT a son of the (rabble rousing) Rev. Stephen Bachiler, of Hampton

What say you?

Private User
1/25/2016 at 6:46 PM

There is not a child named William who is the son of Rev. Stephen Bachiler.
Stephen's wife was a Bate. I have also listed his children at the end of this message, as well as a number to call for more information on the Bachiler/Batchelder line. I hope this helps. Joan Nathan

Rev. Stephen Bachiler's first wife was Ann Bate, mother of all of his children:

A suit was brought against John Bate, son of Rev. John Bate, thus establishing the basis of family connection between Bate, Bachiler, and Mrs. Atkinson, among others; also giving evidence that Stephen Bachiler's first wife, Ann, mother of all his children, was possibly sister of Rev. John Bate, Mr. Bachiler's successor at Wherwell in Hampshire. This was discovered by Charles Edward Banks in an English court record (Court of Requests, Public Record Office, London, Req. 2/678/64, dated 2 November 15th Charles I (1639)) and preserved by Charles Hull Batchelder in his extensive manuscript collection on the family at The New Hampshire Historical Society in Concord [NH]. A photocopy of the original large vellum document of this suit, and a careful transliteration of it, were received by George Freeman Sanborn, Jr., who is the founder and first president of the Sanborn Family Association (Founded 1984). (Source: The New Hampshire Genealogical Record, whole number 29 -- January 1991 -- Volume 8, Number 1, Pg. 14).

Children of Rev. Stephen Bachiler (he spelled his name this way)

Stephen Bachiler's children were:
(1) Nathaniel b. 1590 Wherwell
(2) Deborah b. 1592 Wherwell; wife of Rev. John Wing
(3) Stephen b. 1594 Wherwell
(4) Theodate b. 1596 Wherwell; wife of Christopher Hussey (my GGP)
(5) Samuel b. 1597/8 Wherwell
(6) Anne b. 1600/1 Wherwell; wife of Rev. John Sanborn then 2nd marriage to Henry Atkinson after Rev. Sanborn's death.

http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/biog/bachilerschoen.htm

The Sanborn family has accomplished much reseach on this family line and information is available at the Hampton (NH) Library.
Also, you may call the following:
The Sanborn Family Association
24 Thornton Street
Derry, New Hampshire
03038-1628

Private User
1/25/2016 at 6:48 PM

Correction: I included an address for the Sanborn Family Association.
Joan

1/25/2016 at 7:31 PM

Thank you, Joan. Agree, this is the "best we know" information (and a great site).

Would you mind reviewing the children and identifying any others who need to go away from the Rev? I disconnected William of Charlestown.

1/25/2016 at 7:36 PM

Here is a profile for the William Batcheler, of Dingley who married Jane Batchelder

It is sourced:

====

Henry Arthur, late of Standford Dingley, in Co. Berks, gent., complains that about August, 1630, took into his service Jane Cowper, spinster, agreeing to pay her 40s. a year, although she was so sickly that the other servants were compelled to do almost all her work. Afterwards her aunt, Katherine Smyth, who then lived in the house where pit. dwells, left her a legacy of £20. After a great deal of trouble pit. got the money for her and in return she lent it to him for a year, and pit. returned it to her and her husband, William Batcheler, except a small sum, which pit. kept back for her food "as she was somethinge fyne in her dyett" when she was living at her own request in pits, house after she received the said legacy. The answers of William Bacheler and Jane, his wife. The sd Jane says that pit. borrowed £4 of her, and that she in her turn borrowed 40s. of Margery Pryne, dau. of Mrs. Prine. She was persuaded by pits, landlord, Ric. Smith, to lend the said £20 to pit. The said William Batchelor says that he married the said Jane Cowper in October, 1632, and afterwards demanded the sd money of pit. , who only repaid part of it.

====

Note: he is not a son of Stephen Bachilder of Hampton

1/25/2016 at 8:15 PM

Thanks, Erica and Joan. Very good teamwork! Joan, please make any additions to the About narrative for Rev. Bachiler or updates to his profile that you find necessary.

BTW, he's one of my favorite and most interesting ancestors!

Pam

1/25/2016 at 9:37 PM

... And we have his chair. That makes 3 ancestors I've been able to do "armchair genealogy" (literally) on!

1/27/2016 at 10:20 AM

I've done the edits in Family Tree Maker. And, found this online too:

http://archive.org/stream/batchelderbatche00byupier#page/39/mode/1up

Except it still says Jane Cowper was his first wife.

1/27/2016 at 10:36 AM

Helen - the 1624 marriage to Rachel Bates was found and published in 2005 in the American Genealogist. The article is probably in copyright so can only be referenced but i think it's findable through the American Ancestors site (NEHGS).

So everything "before" 2005 is going to reference the 1632 Jane Cowper marriage, including the "standard" source referenced:

Batchelder, Batcheller genealogy. Descendants of Rev. Stephen Bachiler of England...who settled the town of New Hampton, N. H., and Joseph, Henry, Joshua and John Batcheller, of Essex Co., Mass
by Pierce, Frederick Clifton, 1855-1904 Published 1898

Since William Batchelder of Charlestown was not married to two women at the same time, and Rachel Batchelder was his widow in 1669, then he was never married to Jane Cowper, and the Dingley William Batchelder is a different person.

Imagine - breaking news about events in the 1620's, history is so cool.

4/28/2016 at 12:23 PM

I have Rev. Stephen Bachiler, B. 1561' D. 10/31/1656. He was Married to a Deborah Bate(s) she was B. 1565 and Died 1616? They had a daugher Deborah Bachiler, B. 1591, D. 1653 she was married to Rev. John Wing (Wynge) he was b. 1/12/1584 D. 11/2/1629 this is behind my GGGrandmother

4/28/2016 at 1:03 PM

Hi Lonnie Jean Alitz

I think that "Deborah Bates" name must be a mixup? Deborah (Bachiler) Wing's mother was Ann Bate, the same as all the Rev. known children.

Deborah Wing

4/29/2016 at 6:15 AM

I have an Anna Ewer who married Daniel Winge he was birn 1616?died 1697 Anna was born 1637 died 1720 they are the Parents of rev John Winge born 1584 died 1629 he Marriec Deborah Bachiler born: 1591 died 1653 her Parients are Rev Stephen Bachiler he was born 1561 and Died 1646 married Deborah Bates who was born 1565 and died 1616. This is the best I can do and what was provided me. I was mistaken this is my 12th Great Grand mother on my mothers side.my great grand father came from Germany. Rev John Wing(e) 's mother was Anna Ewer . Sorry I have no Ann Bate in her line.

4/29/2016 at 6:58 AM

There are 2 Rev.Stephen and John. This is what I received from the Boots Web site or roots.

8/21/2018 at 2:33 PM

I want to update this old 2016 thread:

If any of you descendants would like to take this on I found two new interesting articles (short to be sure) and the summaries are below. These were reviewed by Robert Charles Anderson so they should be accurate.

William Batcheler, of Charlestown only ever had one wife - Rachel. There never was a wife Jane. The marriage date and bp of several of their children are below.

Good luck!

William Batcheler, of Charlestown
William Batcheler, of Charlestown

He only ever had one wife - Rachel. There never was a wife Jane.

Leslie Mahler, “New Information on Massachusetts Bay Colonists from Kent, England: William1 and Rachel (Bate) Bachelor of Charlestown, Isaac1 and Elizabeth (Winchester) Stedman of Scituate, Simon1 and Mary (Sharpe) Willard of Concord, Patience1 (Bigg) Foster and Her Son, Hopestill Foster, of Dorchester,” , in The American Genealogist (TAG). (Donald Lines Jacobus, et.al.), 80:23–26, at 23–24, 2005.

[https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-th...= link]

William died in Charleston 22 Feb 1669/70 and his widow Rachel on 28 May 1676. They had one son and four daughters. Note they were married on 19 Sep 1625 in Biddenden, Kent, England. He never did have a wife named Jane - that was just an error in one child's bp record.

Randy A. West, Updates from English Records for Some Great Migration Immigrants Who Came by 1635, in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society), 172:245, Jul 2018.

William1 Bachelor[1]
Migration: 1634.
Relevant Facts: Married Biddenden, Kent, 19 September 1625, Rachel Bate,
as “William Bachelor of Dover”;[2]
and had a daughter Rachel born say 1633
(married by 1653).
Addition: The following baptisms and burial of his children, not previously
noted, were recorded in the parish register of St. Mary the Virgin, Dover,
Kent:[3]
Baptisms:
29 Aug. 1627 Jonathan sone of william Bacchiler
21 Jan. 1628/9 Rachell daughter of william Bacchiler
23 Feb. 1629/30 Priscilla daughter of william Bacchiler
18 Sept. 1631 william son of william Bacchiler

[https://www.americanancestors.org/browse/publications/the-register link]

Private User
5/23/2019 at 10:55 AM

Interesting thread. The William Bacheler that lived in Charlestown in the 1630's is my 11th Great Grandfather. Seaborn Bacheler is my 10th Great Grandmother. Agreed they are not related to the Rev Stephen Bachiler as he didn't have a son named William. However, the records for Charlestown's First Church show that William was admitted to the church on November 10, 1634. Seaborn was baptized on November 12, 1634 and it lists her parents as William and Jane Bacheler. Further, Abigail Bacheler was baptized on May 1, 1637 at First Church and her parents were William and Jane Bacheler. Unfortunately, the pages that show baptisms for 1640, 1642 and 1644 were missing so I couldn't confirm the parents of Rachel, Susanna or Joseph, but I tend to agree with those that think Jane died in 1637 and William married a Rachel in the same year. Also agree that there are two William's, but the one from Biddenden, Kent is not the Charlestown William. No mention of his children: Jonathan; Rachell; Priscilla or William in Charlestown. Plus having two daughters named Rachel/ll born five years apart doesn't make sense.

2/29/2020 at 11:50 AM

Hello,

I descend from Abigail Bacheler who married Richard Austin III in about 1660. They had Samuel, Ebenezer, Richard IV, Joseph (my 10th great-grandfather) and James. Joseph married Elizabeth Pitts). Their daughter, Abagail, married Samuel Webb (s/o of Bethia Adams and John Webb III). Their daughter, Elizabeth, married Joseph Iii PHIPPS.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion