John Combs of London - Could John Combs of London also be Jamestown John?

Started by Ronald Lewis Combs on Saturday, December 10, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Source: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/111701831/person/430154144690
    Geni member
Showing all 7 posts
12/10/2016 at 7:03 AM

Combs family history says John was admitted to Trinity college in 1619. However, I can find no information that says he ever attended/graduated. We know that a John Combs showed up in Jamestown in 1619, and disappears around 1625. Some believe Archdale was born in 1625, some in 1630 )John married Lovett in 1630), and they went to London, where he was raised. Still, others say Archdale was born in 1641 to John and Lovett. As a business man, John of London would have traveled to other places. I contend it is possible that he and Jamestown John could be one and the same. Any thoughts?

12/12/2016 at 10:24 AM

Ron,

John "Merchant of London" Combe is buried in a little church he had built just for that purpose. He was a draper and being there was no material fabrics being made in a just recently discovered country he never
would have traveled to a country where there was nothing to buy. France or Germany maybe? Jamestown John is buried in Virginia.

J. Douglas

Private
12/12/2016 at 3:12 PM

You may want to delve into the book "The Combses Genealogy" by Josiah H. Combs. Chapter III of the book is devoted to Jamestown John, pages 14-19. He tells of John Combs being an indentured servant for his passage on the Marigold with the contract being fulfilled in 1625. He apparently had a younger brother, Archdale. The story follows Jamestown John who apparently had a son he named Archdale. The writer also indicates there were two Johns in the Rappahannock area. You should be able to find the book, if not, let me know and I will copy the section to which I have referred.

12/13/2016 at 12:59 PM

Justin: There was product to buy: tobacco. Many, called Planters, would plant tobacco, go back to England, and return to harvest/sell it. If yo know where in Virginia he is buried, I would appreciate it.
Gerald: I've read Josiah many times, and he said Jamestown John disappeared from the area. It is supposed he went north, but no known paperwork. John of London (1602) had a brother named Archdale (1606). I have seen nothing verifying Jamestown John was indentured, Captain Bass (?) verified the manifest that said John Coomes was given over to Gov. Yeardley (?).
You both make an interesting response. I am not saying that my position is correct, I'm just saying "is it possible?" Please keep up with your ideas.

Private
12/14/2016 at 10:48 AM

In Josiah Combs' book on page 16 he states, "John Coombes served out the term of his indenture in 1625. After that date, he passes out of the records of Jamesown . He is presumed to have married Margaret shortly after 1625." He goes on to say the indentured servant was only relevant to John's contract with the "company". Apparently many people were referred to as indentured servants if they had a contract for service.

Private
12/14/2016 at 10:50 AM

I also have records on John Richmond Combs in the 1690 era.

2/5/2023 at 7:33 AM

I find it curious this genealogy connects my 2x Great Grandmother Elizabeth Louisa Combs to John Combs of London via direct descent when the Archdale Combs that is said to be John Combs of London's son has no written links to John Combs of London or any other mention of a father. Especially given there were 2 John Combs, neither of them John Combs of London; and one an indentured servant, mentioned as being in Virginia for that time period. I guess some that are direct Y descendants of Archdale Combs and of John Combs of London might test and shed more light but I'm not really confident of the current status past Archdale Combs.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion