Registered Place for Fencibles

Started by sue sharp on Thursday, September 14, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 10 posts
9/14/2017 at 3:25 AM

My g g grandfather was Arthur Coyle who came on the Clifton in 1848 to New Zealand
HIs place says BRR Ireland and I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what this meant please
IS this where he was born and what the actual town or city was or if that was where he signed up for this passage
many Thanks
Sue

9/14/2017 at 3:26 AM

@ I hope someone will be able to give me more information thanks

9/14/2017 at 4:47 PM

Sorry I don't know, but I wonder of BRR is a code for the historic town of Birr, county Offaly? Kind regards, Peter.

9/14/2017 at 5:05 PM

I'd go with Peter's idea, unless it is very obviously BRR.

My wife's gg-grandfather has his place of birth on the census and FMP has it transcribed as Yorkshire, England when it was clearly something beginning with a Y in Ireland. Putting a few variations of what the word looked like into Google got a redirecting to Youghal in Cork.

Record keepers seem to struggle with the accent of Irish immigrants, especially when it comes to unfamiliar places (or names - I have my wife's surname recorded 14 different ways. Even with Barnes, the records give us 50/50 Barnes/Barron or Baron).

If it definitely BRR, then it may be an acronym, perhaps with the B being British. However, Googling "BRR Ireland" leads me to Birr in Offaly so....

9/14/2017 at 5:15 PM

Also if you add your tree here and put in everything you know, a distant cousin may spot it and updated the information or merge you into a wider tree (it has happened where my family tree intersects with Scandinavian trees), depending on his date of birth it might be possible to find his birth records. Or someone who has solved the same problem finds the profile and throws in extra information. It is another hook in the water.

You can then add the profile here and see if anyone can help:

https://www.geni.com/projects/They-came-from-Ireland-Origin-Unknown...

9/16/2017 at 4:52 AM

Thankyou everyone replying it was on the site completed by Carol Whyte in December 2000 and with each Fencible on the Clifton SHIP in 1848 to New Zealand each had a year of birth then letters after this like BRR OR LNGF OR MAY OR CSTL OR DBL OR WF OR RSC OR GLW OR GLS OR TPP then IRE
so my ancestor was Arthur Coyle born 1808 Ireland died 1849 New Zealand and he awas a BRR
His son was Arthur Coyle born in 1836 IRE died 1902 NZ
His son was Michael John Coyle B 184 and died 1941 NZ
His daughter was Kathleen Ruby Coyle my grandmother born in 1888 NZ died in 1960 NZ
Im sorry but so far no one has gone further back than this anywhere that I could find
So hopefully this will give you and idea of what the initials may be for
Sue

9/16/2017 at 4:53 PM

Hi Sue,

The NZ BDM death record for the younger Arthur Coyle ought to name his 1836 birth place, assuming the informant of his death in 1902 knew where he was born.

If you don't already have it, a printout can be ordered from https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/death for $25.

Kind regards, Peter.

Private User
9/16/2017 at 6:47 PM

Hi sue sharp, could you add Arthur to this project on the Fencibles please https://www.geni.com/projects/Royal-New-Zealand-Fencibles-1847-1852...

9/17/2017 at 9:11 PM

LNGF = Longford
MAY = Mayo
CSTL =
DBL = Dublin
WF = Waterford
RSC = Roscommon (also found RSCM)
GLW =
GLS =
TPP = Tipperary

I also found:

ASKL =
ATH = Athlone
BYL =
CLG =
CLLN = Callan?
CRK = Cork
CW = Carlow
CVN = Cavan
DWN = County Down
EIR =
ENNS = Ennis?
FRMN = Fermanagh
GRBY =
KLD = Kildare
KLCM =
KNG = King's County = Offaly
KRRY = Kerry
LMR = Limerick
LTRM = Leitrim
MLL =
MNGH = Monaghan
MRYB =
QNS = Queen's County = Laois
SLG = Sligo
TLLM =
TM =
TYR = Tyrone
WSTM = Westmeath
WXF = Wexford

So most of them are counties and some others might be county towns, so I wonder if the abbreviations are the best information they have on the individual's origins?

9/18/2017 at 3:16 PM

Thank you everyone so much help with all of your knowledge Up till now I have concentrated on the Wigmore side of my mothers family and not the Coyles who was my grandmother side so I will start to get my death certificates and all others and hopefully there are details on there

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion