Polish jews escaping to Dzhamboul

Started by Amos David Boasson on Saturday, December 8, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 2 posts
12/8/2018 at 12:32 AM

Hello, could you please direct me to sources about Jews arriving to Dzhamboul whole escaping Nazism? I just found in lists of JDC a (very probably) relative of mine, being born in Dzhamboul on 10.11.1945. The baby's name is Cwi Knopf, his father Samuel Knopf and his mother Helena (nee ?) Samuel could (should?) be a cousin of my grandmother. Could there be more information about this family's stay in Dzhamboul?
Many thanks
Amos Boasson Israel

Private User
8/14/2023 at 3:26 AM

Hello, i suppose it's coincidence, but since i also got to this page looking for a Polish-Russian Jewish KNOPF family in Kazakhstan...
The Knopf family I'm looking for hid their jewishness, the patriarch Jakob David Knopf had converted to Lutheranism before WWII, but he and his sons were sent to Stalinist labour camps apparently b/c of their German surname. One son had a daughter Private but the family's jewishness was apparently hidden from her.
After the labour camps they were sent to Semipalatinsk where they worked as engineers/architects and mathematicians. Communication (letter-writing) with them was broken off when the sisters left Poland for Israel, and no source (e.g. red cross) has yet been able to find them or traces of this Knopf family in Kazakhstan...

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion