Robert "Joshua" Baron Edwards, of Cardiff - Birth date

Started by Private User on Tuesday, January 22, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
1/22/2019 at 1:16 PM

Something wrong here. He was 12 & 14 when his first 2 sons were born? My information was that he was made a Baron in 1664. The death date of 1644 either makes that impossible, or it was done 20 years posthumously. The suggestion of a death date of 1664 makes him 12 and 14 when he started with his family.

1/22/2019 at 2:13 PM

This is a problematic and possibly fictional or legendary profile. No one has ever done the research to try & get this straight. I’ve asked several times !

My suggestion is to go to your Ancestor in this line, source it, verify parents, edit profiles as need be ... and when you can find out no more from a respectable secondary source (not a tree) or a primary source - ask for your Ancestor to be “topped off” by a curator.

1/24/2019 at 4:42 PM

To temporarily solve this annoyance in the meantime, let us consult the sources we do have available to us. Firstly, let us identify our beloved ancestor by his correct birth name and title of nobility. I have never once in any reference material read that the names "Robert" or "Richard" belong in 'Joshua Edwards' name, not even as middle names. If any one can produce such information, then by all means please do so. Now, we do know with some information available to us that, yes indeed, Joshua was entitled with a barony. Just so you all know, when one becomes a baron under the English peerage system, he is being formally and officially recognized as a land owner. In doing so, a barony can be passed and bequeathed to chosen heirs by right of male-preference primogeniture. Also, if the local people wish it so, a baron can be elected to become a Member of Parliament; and he can represent the populace in the area in which his principal baronial residence is situated. Joshua Edwards was entitled with a barony in 1664 according to "The Lindgren/Tryon Genealogy: The Ancestry of John Ralph Lindgren and Shirley Ann Tryon: Revised Edition by By J. Ralph Lindgren (2007)" [ISBN: 978-1-4251-5000-6] at the bottom of page 252. Resource material is included within. However, no death date can be, as of present, definitively established for Joshua Edwards other than "after 1664." Also, the spelling for the "Edwardes" surname was standardized in Joshua Edwards' lifetime which explains why the second "e" is omitted; Edwardes > Edwards. As for his birth year, it is between circa 1580 through circa 1584. Joshua Edwards' birth date IS NOT June 20, 1595!!! Those whom have observed that such a birth date is improbable making him far too young to begin a family have ascertained so correctly. This date actually belongs to his lesser-known full-blood sister of "Josia Edwards," and it is a baptismal date. "The registers of Hopton Castle, Shropshire. 1538-1812" on page 7 reveal that for '1595, June 20' the Latin entry reads "Josia filia Rici Edwards et Elionore ux." In English, this is transliterated to "Josia, daughter of Richard Edwardes and Eleanor, wife." (https://archive.org/stream/registersofhopto00hopt#page/6/mode/2up/s...). There! That solves that problem. Given what I have shared thus far, the correct name for our ancestor on this geni.com page should read "Joshua Edwards, Baron of Cardiff." Secondly, in regards to his birth year, it most assuredly is between 1580 through 1584. Regardless of the year of his birth, and if he died in or after 1664, or at least 1666, Joshua Edwards was definitely in his eighties when he passed away. This webpage incorrectly lists his birth date with that of his sister Josia, but other records somewhere ascertain that it is 1584: https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=feonadorf&amp.... Another webpage, according to genealogical compilers for 'the Edwards family' share that Joshua Edwards was born "about 1580" with others saying "1584/85." (https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/d/e/g/Jean-Degeare-Spokane/GENE4-0003...) The only references that are shared for this information are the e-mail addresses for the said compilers. Man, that is so freaking annoying! I am a man of certainty. I want to know beyond a shadow of a doubt the total and complete Real Truth! Argh! So, take what you will with what I could find out. But, in doing so, PLEASE REMOVE "Robert" and "Richard" from Joshua's name! As I said earlier, type it as "Joshua Edwards, Baron of Cardiff." For the birth and death years, designate them as "circa 1580 - circa 1584" and "circa 1664 - circa 1666." Thank you all for hearing me out. God be with you and peace be unto you. - Elijah Luthor the First; 01-24-2019

1/24/2019 at 5:09 PM

Works for me! Done.

Descendants should continue to validate their lineage.

1/24/2019 at 5:32 PM
1/25/2019 at 1:53 PM

Erica, that is not the same William Edwards. That William Edwards at http://thepeerage.com/p23612.htm#i236112 is the brother to Joshua Edwards with both being the sons of (Reverend) (Lord) Richard Blewett Edwardes II. There were many men in the same generation sharing common ancestors whom were named "William Edwards" and even "Richard Edwards." William Edwards (I) 'of Llangyfelach and Jamestown' (1613 – 1697) is most certainly the son of Joshua Edwards, Baron of Cardiff (circa 1584 - circa 1664) and Margaret Babbs, Baroness Consort of Cardiff (1589 – 1649) (first wife). :)

1/25/2019 at 1:56 PM

It's annoying, isn't it? We are all doing our best to map out these lines of descent with the best information we can find. It can definitely be frustrating. The least our ancestors could have done was scribe their lines of descent and or write them in their family Bibles so we, their progeny, would not be left with so much uncertainty. [Sighs].

1/25/2019 at 9:45 PM

A relief to hear the Geni tree is finally right ! Thank you for your efforts here.

1/27/2019 at 7:05 PM

Oh, wow! I am so thankful my contributions were embraced. Thank you all, in especially Erica, for having heard me out. It feels good to be appreciated. Now, by the grace of God, we and our fellow cousins can compile our ancestry with ease of conscience knowing we did our best to track down reference material. God be with you all. :)

10/19/2021 at 7:40 AM

Does this mean that Thomas Nathaniel Edwards was a real person? Not the inheritance claim issue, but is at least the person real? I have Edwards in my line which "possibly" trace back to him. I keep reading it was all a hoax and that he is non-existent. Trying to clean my tree up and need to know whether to take him off my tree. It does say William Haden Edwards is still "unverified"

Capt. Thomas Edwards

William Haden Edwards

10/19/2021 at 7:42 AM

I apologize I meant that reply to go under one of Baron Edwards descendants. I did provide links to whom Im refering to though.

10/19/2021 at 8:06 AM

Paul Jackson Tolleson, III - no worries. Tree needs a cleanup.

Curator note: Thomas "Nathaniel" Edwards, of Cardiff & NY Married Elizabeth Hall. 3 known children: Robert, Thomas, Joshua.

I will disconnect the extra children, including

William Haden Edwards

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion