Gen. James Cole - Evidence of connection to General Cole?

Started by Anne Brannen on Wednesday, August 28, 2019
Showing all 9 posts
8/28/2019 at 7:12 AM

In the process of looking for duplicates of Coel Hen (Old King Cole), I thought I’d try looking for the Englishing of the name, Cole, and found this family. And it has made me Sad.

The Coles of England aren’t connected to Coel Hen, though I have found plenty of web sites on Cole genealogy which says they are.

The supposed father of this man, James Cole, is Cola, Ethelweard's High Reeve — I just detached him from parents who couldn’t have been his on account of having died before he was born, so that’s nice and cleaned up.

Here is the problem:

“General” Cole did exist. His name was Cola. That’s not his last name, that’s just his name. The Anglo Saxons didn’t have last names.

We know about him from the Anglo Saxon Chronicle. Cola, Ethelred’s “high reeve” fought the Danes at Pinhoe in 1001 and lost.

That’s it.

The Coles show up in various places later in the Domesday Book.

But not only do we have no evidence of Cola’s family (his wife needs to get detached), this son can’t exist. Nobody was named James in England in 1001. Same thing with his son William. Also impossible.

If we follow the line down, we get to William Cole, Saxon lord of Devonshire. Now maybe this guy existed and maybe he didn’t — I haven’t been to see if I can find him — but if his name is William, and it’s 1140, he isn’t a Saxon Lord.

But! He has a son who is in the records! William Cole of Cornwall In Cornwall! But what that has to do with his dad I cannot tell. As, if he existed, it was I. A different piece of the country.

This line needs to be taken apart, and referenced.

Erica Howton You’re curating some of these — do you remember how they got put together?

(The “General Justice” title on Cola totally sets my teeth on edge. I can’t find, at the moment on the iPad, the actual Anglo Saxon that the Chronicle uses to describe him. But seeing General Justice on an Anglo Saxon Profile — not good.)

8/28/2019 at 7:59 AM

Ha! It's in the Parker chronicle, A -- https://parker.stanford.edu/parker/catalog/wp146tq7625

"kola thaes cyninges heah gerefa":

Cola, the king's high reeve.

The Anglo Saxons did not have a military organization that included anything like generals, though one can see why in the 19th century it got translated that way; where the "justice" part comes from I have no idea.

8/28/2019 at 8:03 AM

It's folio 30r, darn it, but the page itself doesn't link -- scroll through to 30r. Totally worth it. Nice copy!

8/28/2019 at 8:20 AM

When I did this cleanup back in 2012 I probably had a rootsweb database I was following and had added the link to profiles. At some point Geni, due to (something about google re directs) “cleaned out” some bald URLs from profiles.

This note seems OK

Roger Cole of Huntensleigh

And I’ll look / see if Jim Weber’s database has this line.

8/28/2019 at 9:17 AM

Is it ok if I fix General Justice Cole?

He's got no known connections, though he did exist. And his name is Cola, Ethelweard's High Reeve.

8/28/2019 at 9:50 AM

Of course !

8/28/2019 at 10:04 AM

Looks like visitations begin with this profile

Sir Roger Cole, Sr., Knight, of Hutenesleigh

8/28/2019 at 2:49 PM

I'm wondering if someone at some point decided that "justiciar" was an equivalent to "High Reeve" and then it possibly got morphed to "General Justice."

8/28/2019 at 3:12 PM

That's certainly possible, at least in part. "General" was what was originally on the profile, and I've seen it in some Victorian translations of the Chronicle. "Justice" got added later to that profile, and I haven't seen it in translations -- yet -- but it would make sense as an addition.

It actually makes more sense, really, than "General," though that's been the preference.

But I like Reeve. It's clear.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion