Col. John Field, Sr. - We need to review the children of Col. John Field Sr. and wife

Started by Suzan Martin on Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
9/18/2019 at 8:03 PM

When I get caught back up - we need to review the children-

9/20/2019 at 1:01 PM

we have 15 children somehow attached to Col John Field? how? They only had 6 documented children..... This is what happens on GENI when we have people innocently merge files. They don't understand the Field lineage, they just connect, they see Field and think it's a Field--- John Field is a common name--, but this was a well-documented family-

This comes back to why we must stop adding GEDcoms- and our Profiles without writing up complete Profiles! We must all slow down,
take our Profiles seriously- document them -- so this doesn't happen again-

15 children are ridiculous! This should never happen on a well-documented Profile person. If his Profile was written as it should've been to GENI specifications- I don't think he would've ended up with 15 children!!! Now we have to spend extra time unwinding this mess!
The wife was Anna Rogers Clark
John Field, b. 1726, Spotsylvania (now Culpeper) County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 10 Oct 1774, Battle of Point Pleasant, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 48 years)
Married 1748 Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with

Children

1. John Field, b. 1748, Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Dec 1810, Bourbon County, Kentucky Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 62 years)

2. Mary Field, b. Abt 1750, St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Aft 1800, Charlestown, Clark County, Indiana Find all individuals with events at this location (Age ~ 51 years)

3. Abner Field, b. 20 Jan 1751/52, St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 1831, Jefferson County, Kentucky Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 78 years)

4. Lewis Field, b. 1764, St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 1845, Pope County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 81 years)

5. Larkin Field, b. 1765, St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location

6. Henry Field, b. 1768, St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 1850, Culpeper County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 82 years)

9/20/2019 at 1:16 PM

I'm still working up to this generation --

9/20/2019 at 8:52 PM

I can't speak regarding 8 of the 9 children you want to remove, but I hope you will consider leaving Elizabeth Susanna Slaughter as Col. John Field's 2nd daughter. She is listed in Southern Biographies and Genealogies, 1500s-1940s as a daughter of John and wife of Lawrence Slaughter.

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/slaughter/1702/

Excerpt:

LAWRENCE SLAUGHTER (Robt., Robt.) killed in battle at Point Pleasant,
m. a dau. of Col. John Field.

GEORGE SLAUGHTER (Robt., Robt.) m. a dau. of Col. John Field. He
raised one of the first companies of "Minute Men" of Culpeper, and
after the Revolution, went to Kentucky, with George Rodgers Clark, and
commanded a fort at the falls of the Ohio, and was one of the founders
and first trustees of the City of Louisville. Died in Columbus in 1815,
leaving no issue.

Lawrence's Brother George was also listed here as a husband of another daughter of John, Mary, one of your 6. Thanks, Dave Brown

10/18/2019 at 11:34 PM

David K. Brown You're talking about Col John Field's daughter Elizabeth Slaughter and she is ok --- This is SR gets very confusing in here, but she and her father are fine as well.

It's Pappa's we're working on - just a bit of mess from merging is all, the simple fix we have documentation.

10/19/2019 at 12:35 AM

I'm actually speaking of his father Children --- i think the siblings of - not Col. John Field's children

Ones' like Elizabeth Field (Slaughter) are well documented very easy to place -

if you have documentation for her, please upload, like marriage certificates and Wills, Vestry records. that would be a wonderful assistance.

The Slaughter's have been a long-time ally of our family. Why we intermarried with them so often. My 4th GGF Henry Hill Field's first wife was a Slaughter- we found her lineage-

Do you know the story about how our family became such good friends of the Slaughters? Why they started migrating with our families.

Capt Ambrose Powell my 5th GGF Captain Ambrose Powell had a daughter who married

Captain Ambrose Powell

His daughter married Married Col Henry Hil their daughter Russell Hill Married Henry Hill
son od
Col. John Field

The alliance of the Slaughter's started with Col Ambrose Powell The Hills, Slaughter's, Triggs and Fields all fought side by side in the Revolution - I have a story in my published genealogy book about one account with Capt Ambrose Powell's names and the Slaughters names together - I believe I have it posted under Ambrose Powell's profile as well as Henry Field's

10/19/2019 at 1:10 PM

Fascinating. I went up your Family tree to look at the Slaughter's and have since merged Thomas and Robert. I have been working on Col. Thomas Slaughter this week, but was surprised your info on Ambrose led me right back to him.

10/19/2019 at 10:12 PM

Thank you, so much! Please look over all you can, would like to collaborate. I've been busy lately. Need to get back to this lineage again. It takes so much time to carefully go over each generation and document each one. I'm actually not up to this one yet.

7/21/2020 at 6:10 PM

yes

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion