Started by Randy Schoenberg on Monday, February 3, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
2/3/2020 at 12:26 AM

What is the source for his death date?

Wachstein says Moses Ahron Teomim was dead by 1600. See Randbemerkungen, https://www.geni.com/photo/view?album_type=photos_of_me&id=6000...

2/3/2020 at 4:19 AM

I don’t see any source for this. Jacobi only states that he died “before 1609”. Löwenstein says he died “around the middle of the 16th century” (if I’ve correctly interpreted his German text). Neither source gives this specific date. I don’t have “The Unbroken Chain” in front of me at the moment, but I seem to recall this date may have been in there. Will check later today.

2/3/2020 at 12:08 PM

I keep The Unbroken Chain in front of me, but which volume?

2/3/2020 at 5:20 PM

In Wachstein Inschriften, p. 493 (for the grave 639 of Kela T. Moses Ahron Theomim, Fr. Moses Maor Katan) he says that he doesn't know the date of death for Moses Ahron Theomim. If Wachstein didn't know it in 1911 and also in 1936 said before 1600, that means it isn't in Hock-Kaufman and we haven't found it in Popper. So it's pretty clear this date (and the one for his wife) don't belong there. Maybe they are remnants from bad merges way back when.

2/4/2020 at 7:12 AM

This is consistent with Leopold Lowenstein's history as well, although he says that Moses Ahron Teomim died "around the middle of the 16th century". That's probably a bit too early, but it's consistent with before 1600. Hatte Anne Blejer, I did check "The Unbroken Chain", but could find no reference to a 1608 death date.

I suspect that this somehow came from Jacobi stating that he died "before 1609". Somebody came up with a date that was just prior to 1609!

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion