Started by Private User on Saturday, July 18, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
7/18/2020 at 8:15 AM

He only had two:

1) Margaret widow of Dr. George Clarke - she may or may not have been the daughter of Obedience Robins by an undocumented first wife (the gene pool was so small that step-children marrying each other was not unlikely).

>>> No children are known from this marriage.

2) Dorothy Marriott. Children from this marriage are documented via a Chancery lawsuit in England.

For some reason he's an easy target for people who want to credit him with starting the Philemon Waters line - maybe because he *is* so well-documented and they are not. Recent Y-DNA evidence suggests that there is no relation (the Philemon Waters line has tested R, but the John Waters line of Anne Arundel - presumed relatives of the Edward Waters line - has turned up an I). If this holds up, Col. William Waters isn't the Philemon Waters forefather.

Private User
7/18/2020 at 8:37 AM

Cleaned up Margaret Waters - *she* isn't fictional, nor her first husband, but any children attributed to her probably are).

Disconnected Margaret Waters and Margaret Waters because they don't belong. More research is needed to determine where - and if - they fit. (Note: middle names were *quite rare* in this time period and usually indicate some sort of Bad Genealogy.)

Disconnected Thomas Waters, [Fictional?] - he probably belongs in the upper reaches of the Philemon Waters line, but exactly where is uncertain. Note that his alleged birth place is *quite impossible* it wouldn't even exist until well into the next century.

Private User
7/19/2020 at 8:34 AM

This lot, descended from Morgan William Waters (putative son of Margaret Waters) are of particular interest because they have a Y-DNA test result attached.

Unfortunately, it's neither I (Waters of Anne Arundel) nor R (Philemon Waters) - it's J.

That probably means they were a separate emigration to the Province of Carolina (created 1629 but not officially established until 1663, see details at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Carolina). Georgia, as such, wasn't carved out of the territory until 1732.

1/21/2022 at 8:08 PM

I came across this profile, same name and same wife but nothing else matches. It's odd two same-name men would have married women with the same name, but I didn't try to merge them because of the other data that doesn't match. Not sure if they're the same man or not.

Morgan William Waters

Private User
1/22/2022 at 5:58 AM

Looks like somebody else wasn't as cautious. "They" are now merged.

don't think we *do* know who his mother was - and even if she was a Margaret (a fairly common name), she probably wasn't a Robins (not so common).

Here we go with the middle names in the middle of the 17th century again. This was still *very rare* except for special circumstances (posthumous son, twentieth child, stuff like that).

Private User
1/22/2022 at 6:22 AM

"John William Walter Waters, Sr."? Col. William Waters

This guy has been lumbered with way too many names! The first known example of anything like *that*, and it's a mystery to all why his parents did that to him, is "George Robert Twelves/Twelvetrees Hughes", participant in the Boston Tea Party in 1773.

1/22/2022 at 6:03 PM

Maven B. Helms, thank goodness for people like you who do the deep digging to keep our trees honest. I worry about this sort of thing every time I get a notice that someone has merged something into my tree.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion