Nancy Rains (Graham) - Wife of Anthonly Rains

Started by David Earl Raines on Friday, January 15, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

1/15/2021 at 12:00 PM

The about section of her being the wife of Anthony is correct, so why does the top section say she was married to Capt. John Rains?
This is a confusing family as the Rains lines have a lot of repeated given names, John, George, Robert, William, etc

Nancy was never married to John Rains, her sister Mary was married to John and was a widow at the time of her father's death because John was killed on the way home at the end of the Revolution in North Carolina.

Anthony served the war as stated and I have copies of his pension record and statement about moving to North Carolina, and the Pension records as paid to Nancy on his death.

On the other hand, his brothers John and George were older, landowners and as the war ended up North and the Regulators came into the area Torry Militia came about and both John and George joined the Militia and served as officers under Colonel David Fanning. John was killed on the way home when the war ended in North Carolin. George was in South Carolina at the end of the war and did not return to North Carolina but went to the Indian area of the Carolina Territory, likely because the Indians had fought with the Militia. That area is now Warren County Tennessee. George had his son Joab sell her property in NC. Later much of the Rains family migrated to Tennessee. I have made several trips to Randolph Co NC and walked areas that they lived and fought, studied records and books at County Library Genealogy area and also at the History Library at UNC in Chapel Hill, then Rains Reunions in Warren Co TN and DNA test. Turn out there are at least 2 unrelated lines of Rains in this area. I have DNA matches with the line of Anthony, and David Fanning noted that George and John were brothers. There are more Rains with Fanning but none I can place in a specific family tree. I would tell you to Google and read the Narratives of David Fanning. I am not 100% proved the father of this family of Rains, perhaps John Henry but only now for sure that the father died before 1772 and mother's name was Mary, many for years as said Mary Hammer but nobody has shown any proof that I say. Since it is my line through George and his son Joab, I have been trying to document and have it documented back to George and the Graham family. I am always looking for facts, records, directions of where to look. Based on ages and deaths, Nancy could not have remarried to this John. I do have a DNA match with the line of Cornelius but have not found where he belongs in my tree. I am guessing that if John Henry was the father of John, George, Anthony and likely more siblings, that Cornelius or a person in that line would be a brother of John Henry or whoever it might be, I just have not seen documentation as of yet. I plan to place John Henry Rains there for now as a research point. Would be happy for any impute.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion