Dr. William "Will" Cobb - From discussion http://www.wvpioneers.com/getperson.php?personID=I37867&tree=WVP

Started by Private User on Tuesday, September 7, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Private User
9/7/2021 at 8:33 PM

I would like to clear up a problem that has existed for many years relating to the Cobb Cemetery. It has been claimed Dr. William Cobb is buried in it along with many of his children primarily based upon a "headstone" located there.
I live on the property and maintain the cemetary as did my father, Alfred Boyd Cobb, and he related the following information to me years ago. In the 1920s or early 1930s the state widened SR 119 through Clendenin and on up Elk River toward Clay. At that time the Church located at the mouth of Big Sandy Creek had a large cemetery beside it and the people buried there had to be moved, so relatives of the people were asked to move the remains. My grandfather, Mark A. Cobb, removed the remains that were left, in some cases no remains were left, and the headstones. He moved the remains to a new location at the present location, re buried them there, and reset all the old headstones.
My father told me Dr. William Cobb's remains were not reburied at that time since he had died and was buried near the mouth of Doctors Creek approximately one and a half miles from the church.
As to the so-called "headstone". I can remember when it was placed there by my Great-Uncle Vernon A. Cobb in the late 1940's or early 1950's. He obtained the marble slab and carved the information on it as a memorial to his family and to give accurate information as to thefamily tree. Thus most persons named on the stone are not buried there, but at another locationwhere they lived.
I hope this will help clarify the facts about who is buried in the C obb Cemetary.
Thank you, much of your information has been very heloful.
William A. Cobb

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion