Daniel Nee / Cheroenhaka - Sources? Time traveling?

Started by Erica Howton on Monday, November 22, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
11/22/2021 at 5:51 PM

I was just merging below and wondered about how there’s a Native American genealogy with English names before European contact. Is there a time mixup?

11/22/2021 at 5:53 PM

NB. The surname “Nee” is often corrupted Gedcom file talk for nee, as in “maiden name unknown”. Is that possible?

11/22/2021 at 8:02 PM

When the colonist arrived on the shores of Turtle Island, not only did they changed the land they America, they had to anglicize and control "THE HEATHENS" to civilize them into the Christin way of life.

11/22/2021 at 8:07 PM

In 1535?

11/22/2021 at 8:25 PM

THE ENGLISH COLONIST DIDN'T TO SETTLE IN ON THE EASTERN COAST UNTIL ABOUT 1607, AROUND THE COAST, FROM MAINE TO VIRGINIA. BEFORE THE SLAVE TRADE BEGAN IN THE 1600'S, INDIANS WERE THE SLAVES, JUST LIKE THE AFRICANS THEIR NAMES AND CUSTOMS WERE TAKEN AWAY. BTW CLOMBUS DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH THE MAINLAND OF AMERICA HE LANDED IN THE ISLANDS

11/22/2021 at 8:41 PM

So what should we do about this supposed Virginia Indian with an English name born in 1535?

Daniel Nee / Cheroenhaka

Private
11/22/2021 at 8:55 PM

This is from the Tribe's records. We should leave it.

11/22/2021 at 10:06 PM

I really think it got garbled. (That “nee” name). Is there any way we can make us not get laughed at?

11/23/2021 at 10:21 AM

I appreciate you bearing with me. As I said, I got to this from merging “Lassiters” below, so I’m just (reflexively) cleaning up.

By “Prudence Nee” do we mean Prudence Lassiter ?

According to this source, Robert Lassiter was born in 1635 in New Kent, Nansemond, VA, and was married to Prudence of Nottoway, her father being Guy Eason and her mother being Fredia of the Cheroenhaka/Wind Clan.”

Fredia M Nee Colston shows as Fredia M (Indiana Nottoway Cherekee Tribe) Nee Colston. So that’s daughter of Robert Colston (that’s a white name?) And wife of Guy Notoway (Wilson / Eason) Nee, /Cheroenhaka?

I think I get it about “Nee” linguistically, but how is there a Catherine (Wilson)Nee / Cheroenhaka (1585 - 1618)? Was she European? Was she baptized?

Catherine (Wilson)Nee / Cheroenhaka

Are we sure the name isn’t a time traveler?  
Private
11/23/2021 at 10:39 AM

Cheroenhaka Nottoway recognize this line as it is written by the tree builders. Nottoway Tribe of Va have this person as Prudence Nee as she was referred to by them; however, she is on the roll of the other tribe of Cheroenhaka Nottoway. This is per phone calls made from friend almost finished with his degree as, Linguist, to said parties as this is his ancestor. A quick study of the name Nee is from the Cheroenhaka Language, meaning Two. It's a stem in the language page for their language.

Private
11/23/2021 at 10:41 AM

Ok I had to revise that statement per the request of the party I asked. So, clarity is that his line stopped as Prudence and beyond that, he is ok with disconnection.

11/23/2021 at 12:06 PM

Really appreciate this!

So to be absolutely clear, we should show Prudence Lassiter with no parents and her current names & tribal designation?

Or do we go up one more generation to the cited parents & name her accordingly?

According to this source, Robert Lassiter was born in 1635 in New Kent, Nansemond, VA, and was married to Prudence of Nottoway, her father being Guy Eason and her mother being Fredia of the Cheroenhaka/Wind Clan.”

And disconnect at Guy Nee / Cheroenhaka & remove those tribal designations?

Private
11/23/2021 at 3:24 PM

Answer received....the tree is sourced to Prudence and last name Lassiter.

11/23/2021 at 3:37 PM

Done. Thank you kindly.

11/27/2021 at 12:48 AM

So it’s confirmed that my 8th great grandmother was Nottoway Indian according to the Tribe?

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion