Hannah Cogswell - This profile is to be Made Private

Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
1/17/2022 at 4:51 PM

Melissa, I responded to you here: https://www.geni.com/discussions/219640?msg=1537765

If you read that response, you should hopefully understand why your mother's third-great-grandmother isn't eligible to be kept private on Geni.

Hannah was born on 23 November 1794 -- 227 years ago -- so that is not within 150 years. It doesn't need to be within 150 years of your mother; it needs to be within 150 years total.

Put another way: Since today is 17 January 2022, any Geni profiles for people born before 17 January 1872 must be public, except for in a handful of extraordinary circumstances that don't apply to the profiles you've been making private.

Private User
1/17/2022 at 6:31 PM

Melissa, it looks like to me like Hannah was turned into an MP to stop a revert war. That's a common approach used by curators, and it's one that Geni encourages us to use. Most people don't try to privatize their 18th C. ancestors, so that's why most third-great-grandparents aren't automatically MPed across the board.

Also, I suspect the reason it's all happening in one day is because you've been making the profiles private and then discussed them in public discussion threads, so it drew attention. Different curators keep an eye on different areas, and your actions happened to be in multiple parts of the tree, hence multiple curators noticing. So it wasn't like anyone coordinated an effort to look at your work -- it's just that this week is when it caught people's eye.

Although you may not personally see all of our efforts, curators work really, really hard to keep eligible pre-1872 profiles public. If there are situations where you find pre-1872 profiles and think they should be public, by all means, post them on the "Curators, please assist" thread and we'll flip them public as long as they're eligible for us to do that (which virtually all are). We genuinely do try to be as fair as possible.

1/22/2022 at 11:51 PM

The photo issue has nothing to do with the curation.

1/22/2022 at 11:56 PM

Then it’s for another reason. For a dozen years I’ve curated many thousands of profiles, and except for a few Locked up, can’t contributions continue with no issues. I will open a ticket for you.

1/22/2022 at 11:56 PM

(Contributions continue with no issues)

Private User
1/23/2022 at 12:45 AM

Erica, I think you're forgetting about photo locks. This is how they've always behaved. But I'll PM you.

Private User
1/23/2022 at 12:49 AM

Sorry, forgot to tag you -- Erica Howton

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion