Geni Pro
Showing all 5 posts
Private User
1/23/2022 at 12:17 AM

For the date of birth, we're showing two dates:

• 28 November 1774 (About)
  • 23 November 1794 (data field)

For the place of death, we're showing three locations:

• Virgil, Cortland County, New York (data field)
  • Colonie, Albany County, New York (About)
  • Collins, Erie County, New York (FindAGrave) citation

What citations do we have to support any of these options? Thanks.

Private User
1/23/2022 at 12:22 AM

The "About" also says "they resided in Preston CT."

Preston, Connecticut is in New London County, which is the southeasternmost county in the state. I am assuming this means New Preston, which is a village in the town of Washington in Litchfield County, the northwesternmost county in the state.

Private User
1/23/2022 at 12:23 AM

If you're using a digital copy, can you please link to the page her death info is on, or just link to the book itself? That way, we can get it cited so this doesn't happen again. Thanks!

Private User
1/23/2022 at 12:33 AM

"Yes. They lived in more than one location."

This is a new development in the story, and it needs citation. It's exceedingly unlikely for a family to have moved to that part of that state in that era, when the reverse migration pattern was occurring. Especially since they later moved to New York, which does indeed follow the migration pattern of the era.

Private User
1/23/2022 at 2:43 AM

Thank you for your efforts.

Here is a link to the Cogswells in America book, p. 633. I transcribed the entire paragraph into her "About."

Her write-up in the book does not give a date of death, so I've noted in her "About" that the date we're giving has been "seen"; I didn't want people thinking it's actually from that book since it's not in there.

I corrected her residence from Preston, Connecticut to New Preston, Connecticut, since that's what the source says. We'll need to find evidence for any possible move to Preston, but I wouldn't spend time on it; it's extraordinarily unlikely.

I have removed the 1774 birth date from her "About" since it's not possible, given her parents' age. The Barbour index with the correct date had been uploaded but the fields weren't cited, so I'll do that now and lock in the correct info.

Still not finding anything about her death date, but I'll keep looking.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion