דינה כ"ץ-העשיל (וואהל-קצנלנבוגן), ״הגדולה״ - Dina KATZ HESCHEL ( Katzenellenbogen???)

Started by Haim Wartski,Hachoen on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
Today at 12:25 AM

Claudia Bullock

I tried to answer you in the discussion itself, for a reason I do not understand, I could not, so I decided to open a follow-up discussion to the discussion you raised on the subject:

The rabbinic literature is very divided as to the identity of the parents of
Rbzn. Dina Katz Heschel, "haGedolah"
And also about the identity of her children from her husband
Rabbi Avraham Yehoshua Heschel [of Cracow] (Hanukat HaTorah)

Because I'm a descendant of
Rabbi Issachar Berish Babad
I tried to find solid information about his mother's identity, I consulted with people who understand rabbinical families, most of them (and also most of the rabbinic literature) claim that she was:
Hesya Miriam Heschel

, as it now appears in geni

But some (and also some of the rabbinic literature) strongly claim that his mother (who was also the mother of his brother Rabbi Shaul) is Dina (Katzenelnbogen ????)

When I realized that there is no decision on the subject, and no source has solid evidence, I decided to leave the research in this branch and concentrate on research in another branh

In conclusion:
I am afraid that no one has and will not have solid and reliable information on the subject, and everything that is done in this branch, will never have conclusive proof that it is the right and true thing...

The identity of her parents should also be checked and consider whether she was indeed from the Katzenelnbogen family, but this is one of the cases where the information about the identity of any person is so divided among the many books, and people dealing with rabbinical families

Today at 9:57 AM

Haim Wartski,Hachoen,

Thanks for this information. In this context, I think it makes sense that I was unable to find a listing of her children in "The Unbroken Chain".

Just to clarify, I don't think that UC was actually calling in to question whether or not Dinah was from the Katzenellenbogen family. As best I understand, the issue was with regard to some confusion about her mother's lineage. But the book definitely had her father as being a Katzenellenbogen descendant. It seems that both of the men purported to be her father are claimed by their proponents to be descendants of Saul Wahl in one way or another.

Claudia

Private User
Today at 10:03 AM

Haim Wartski,Hachoen This is another frustrating situation similar to the parentage of Dinah. There are two options presented as the spouse of R' AY Heschel, one is a daughter of Rabbi Moshe Leizer's Isserl's, of Vilna and the other is a granddaughter. So, there is agreement as to her being a direct descendant of R' Moshe Leizer's, but uncertainty about whether the spouse is also a descendant of the K'bogen tree (not to even mention the alternatives in the K'bogen tree). Instead of putting both spouses officially on the profile, which propagates erroneous and confusing information to innocent researchers, I would instead have an unnamed placeholder spouse connected by two ungendered placeholders to R' Moshe Leyzers, and then explain briefly but fully the alternatives in 'About', and then lock the profiles. This prevents incorrect information from propagating across the entire GENI tree and is something only the curators can do.

We are speaking about a hazard of public trees: what to do when there is conflicting pedigree data and no clear reason to decide one way or the other. You can opt to 1) have all the conflicting data appear simultaneously (like what we are seeing here: two spouses), or 2) arbitrarily and possibly wrongfully select which data to use, which is what is happening with Dina's parents), or 3) do not officially enter any of the data until more evidence is available. using unnamed placeholders if appropriate, or simply leaving roles blank, while explaining the conflicting options in a commentary part of the profile. If any researcher wishes to use unofficial information in creating their own off-line trees then that is their decision, but I don't think it is a good practice to force an unproven alternative on to the entire GENI tree, nor to simply let all the unproven alternatives co-exist in a meaningless tangle. GENI is a really great concept, but it needs to inspire greater confidence and present clearer information, or people will throw up their hands in frustration.

Today at 10:36 AM

Claudia Bullock
Private User

As much as I tried to find reliable information on the subject-I failed ... every book claims to have the reliable information ... this is one of those cases where an absolute conclusion cannot be reached ..
Regarding the husband:
Rabbi Avraham Yehoshua Heschel [of Cracow] (Hanukat HaTorah)
Fortunately, here the information is solid and everything is fine

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion