Is Francois Savoie really the son of Tomaso?

Started by Donovan Louis Domingue on Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing 61-90 of 389 posts

There is info online about Pierre LeJeune's "Mikmaq" wife perhaps NOT
being Mikmaq after all, following some DNA studies. I don't know how
reliable the studies were--a long-used original Acadian document seems
to show Pierre's wife as "Mikmaq" so that has always been the source
used. I once googled those discussions--someone else here may
know exactly where to find the DNA test info and the "Mikmaq" controversy.

Regarding the origin of Catherine Lejeune.
I have been in contact with the head of the "Mother of Acadia" project.
Those who have had their mtDNA tested who are decendants * Matriarchal line* from Catherine Lejeune have U6a7 Haplotype. Which means that whomever Catherine's mother was, she was of European origin....not Native American. Sorry...* I also find this disapointing as she is one of my ancestors as well and I thought I had finally proven Native Heritage....)

http://www.acadian-home.org/frames.html

I have found this whole discussion fascinating. Since Germain Savoie is also in my bloodline, it would be fun to know for sure, although it realistically would have very little impact on our lives, other than bragging rights. Still, that would be some bragging rights, wouldn't it?? I'll be back again to check for more updates. Wish I had an answer to offer, or a new thread to tug.

francois savoie is known to be descended from the house of savoy

im also a descendant of germain savoie

@joshua redikerCool! There are probably a lot of us out there, some French Canadian families were huge!

my great grandfather was french canadian and his family really huge

punch in ancestry.it and in the search engin write francois de savoy they have a lot of familiy trees saying that he was born in italy

This is in response to Renee Boudreau's post of 3/13. Mitochondrial DNA indicates the maternal haplotype. It was Catherine Lejeune's father, Francois Joseph, who was the Mi'kMaq. Her mother's identity is not known.

I am related many times over to Francois Savoie through both my mother and my father's lineage. I would love to see this question about his ties to the House of Savoy answered.

Joanne, that is the first I have heard of Catherine's father being Mi'kMaq.....is there a website or source?
~Renee

Joanne, also, Catherine's Husband was also Francois Joseph....could there be a mix up? Just curious....

also-all info I have found say she was born in France....

and on many trees- her father is down as PIERRE dit Briard LeJeune, not Francois Joseph.....

Catherine's father
Martin Lejeune dit Briard being the Catherine's mother
DNA argument of an unknown mother with Mik Maq origins that has been disputed. Some indicate she may be of French and African mix rather than Native American Mik Maq, ie. Creole perhaps? IDK.

I have never seen anything abour her father being Francois Joseph, but rather her husband, the alleged "Prince" illegitimate son of Tomas Francesco di Savoia. (or someone. lol)
As for whoever Catherine's father is, it is VERY possible that he is of French origin as in birth but was one of those settlers who assimilated into a Metis culture as so many French did in Canada. He may have been "culturally" Indian but I have doubts on DNA. It is the unnamed mother that is the most controversial for Catherine's ancestry and the source of debate as her mother is said to be either the daughter or granddaughter of Henri Membertou, the great Mik Maq chieftain, 1st Native American convert to Christianity in the upper North American continent (obviously excluding Jesuit missionary work in Mexico and South America-I did say UPPER North America.)
That tie is pretty important but cannot really be proven I guess.

Jeanne Marie Kagijonias

Somehow my post changed the order of my sentences. the link to Catherine's mother is at bottom of post. It should have linked just before I said "being the Catherines' mother" typos disregard. thanks.

There are two Catherine Lejeunes in my family tree. I apologize. I was remarking about the wrong one (married Jean Comeau). I have Catherine Lejeune's parents (married Francois Hebert) as unknown. It certainly is disputed. Pierre Lejeune dit Briart was thought to perhaps be her brother. In any case I do suggest you check out this site:

http://brasdorfirstnation.com/The_Lejeune_Mikmaq_Family.php

@Prince Francis Savoie?

I just joined this site today and am an mtDNA U6a direct descendent of Catherine Lejeune and Francois Savoie. What an exciting discussion!! I had no idea I could be descended from such a famous lineage..then again, it might explain that inner hint of arrogance..LOL. So now I can humbly and openly admit that I have fantasized that someday I would discover I was related to Eleanor of Aquitaine, who, in my perspective, is every bit as cool and incredible a woman as Cleopatra. So now a Bourbon line connection? Whew..what an amazing thought! This reminds me of the black Thomas Jefferson offspring who, generation after generation, passed down the oral knowledge of their ancestry but had to wait for a willing white Jefferson cousin and the science of DNA confirmation...and what a happy ending that story had (at least for Sally Heming's offspring) !

It is hard to fathom the number of their descendants in Canada and in the U.S. I imagine that, if Francois was denied somehow, perhaps even paid to go away, what an ironic twist that he would create, over many generations, a population large enough to inhabit a small country. Tell me he hasn't had at least a good chuckle. Feudal yet futile:)

on the wikipedia it lists francois savoie as the child of tomasso francesco di savoia and marie marguerite de bourbon.

it said that they had 8 kids who survived infancy and he was one of them.

That Wikipedia entry was the initial thing that spurred this conversation. I didn't think there was any evidence from whoever entered that information.

Monsieurs Fournerat and Rediker,

I enjoy your posts and your lighthearted yet serious thoughts about this. May I ask a few questions? The land area of Savoy, was it originally the northwest territory between Italy and France, and did it all become part of Italy? What is the relationship between Prince Eugen of Savoy who was born in Paris and Francois?

Assuming for the sake of continued logic (but not verified as of yet or easily proveable), the relation with Eugene is:

Francois Joseph Savoie is Prince Eugene of Savoy's first cousin twice removed.
Prince Eugene of Savoy

Olympia Mancini, Royal Mistress of Louis XIV.
his mother

Baron Lorenzo Mancini
her father

FNU Countess of Savoy
his mother

Tomaso Francesco (Thomas Francis) di Savoie
her brother

Francois Joseph Savoie
his son

Of course, all of this is based on the theory that Francois is the son of Tommas Francesco...hubbie of Marie de Bourbon. Back to square one....LOL.

it was between france and italy

francois savoie was the the first cousin twice removed to prince eugene of savoy.

tomaso and marie de bourbon had 8 children who survived infancy
(italian names in parenthsis)

carignano line

. francesco - giuseppe aka francois - joseph (1621 - 1711) married 1651 to catherine briard had issue (my line)

. princess christine charlotte of savoy (1626 and died 1626)

. princess louise christine of savoy (1627 - 1689) married to ferdinand maximilian of baden baden had issue

. prince emmanuel philibert amadeus of savoy (1628 - 1709), 2nd prince of carignan. married to angela caterina d' este had issue.

. prince amedeo of savoy (1629 - died young)

. prince joseph - emmanuel 1631 - 1656

. prince ferdinand of savoy (1637 - )

soissons line

. prince eugene maurice of savoy - carignan (1635 - 1673)

francesco - giuseppe di savoia carignano my 9th great grand father was of royal blood he left behind his family and travelled over the alps and to martaize and headed to port royal with norman farmers and married and had children: germain married marie breau had maria - jospha savoie
married jean baptsiste poirier had sebastien poirier married marie anne petit had joseph sebastien poirier married apolline ruais a descendant of michel leneuf had genevieve poirier married olivier cote
had arthemise cote married joseph castonguay had cedulie castonguay had gerard desbiens married marie simone irene pepin.

and they had gisele, denise, francoise, gilles, jovette, jean - paul.

@ Gregory :) Slight connection to the house of Savoie;
Anne Saint Etienne De La Tour; Daughter of Charles Amador de Saint Etienne De La Tour-his line through Marie de Salazar goes up to King Louis IX and on-and -if my memory serves connects to the House of Savoie...
Anne Married Jacques Mius d'Entremont: they had son Jacques who married Marguerite Amirault......they had Joseph d'Entremont who married Agnes Belliveau; they had Venerante d'Entremont who married Jacques Amirault; they had Ursule Amirault; she married Jean Baptiste Boudreau-they are my 4th great grandparents....this lineage as far as I have been finding seems to pan out lol I have been attempting to double and triple check the info within the line....just discovered it today lol :)

I guess my not being a Pro prevents me from even LOOKING at any of the proifles you mentioned if they were not already tied directly to my tree. They may be in your line but if they are in mine, I have no way of telling under the new REGIME of obsfucating history.

Gregory, I've been hearing that you can use google to search for a profile and get to it that way. Just a thought...

P.S. If there's anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask!

Showing 61-90 of 389 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion