problems with acessing any trees, including my own...

Started by Sally Thomas on Friday, June 4, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts
6/4/2010 at 7:44 AM

Is there some sort of maintenance going on with geni? I cannot for the life of me enter my tree, not from the link button above the page, not from any other method... I can get to home, messages and discussions but not to the tree itself. Also I notice that my merge issues remain the same even after I have done corrections on data, it seems the data is just not taking or staying... Can any one help me with this problem?

6/4/2010 at 7:51 AM

I guess I am going to gather up my marbles and head on out.... I will try to come back and attempt again at 2 or 3 in the morning... maybe that will be a better time to try to get stuff to work... I even turned off the firewall hoping that would help... but nothing seems to work.... Laters...

6/4/2010 at 8:21 AM

When this happens it's best to email help@geni.com if it persists for more than a few minutes / attempts. I believe I was able to fix the problem with your tree -- if not, please email help@geni.com (it's better than catching us online; more reliable and lets us track where we're having problems)

Kind regards,

Mike

6/4/2010 at 9:07 PM

Thanks, Mike for your efforts... but all I can get is the revolving asterik for well over 30 minutes... I am checking the flash player now, maybe that is where the problem is... I will try again very early in the AM

6/4/2010 at 9:28 PM

It should take less than 10 seconds to draw your tree.. I would suggest upgrading to the latest version of Flash, or try a different browser to see if you can narrow down where the problem is.

6/5/2010 at 7:21 AM

I'm using Firefox on an iMac. I've also used Firefox on a PC. Hope you get it resolved soon. How frustrating!

6/6/2010 at 9:34 AM

Sally, are you able to view this tree? http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/8032

6/7/2010 at 6:15 AM

I was not able and continue not to be able to open the tree... I can go any where else on Geni and other sites, but not the tree... After checking for latest MSIE updates, I find that is not the problem, I have uploaded and installed the latest flash... I thnk now that the problem might be with security and activeX. I am trying to figure how to enable the flash to operate correctly with the geni sites that require it... The words and letters that appear at the bottom of my screen while trying to get to the tree (eventually it says done, but still with the revolving astrik and no tree) go too fast for me to catch to add to exclusions list... Would someone from tech side of geni please get in touch with me about this? Thanks...

6/7/2010 at 6:51 AM

and what is interesting is that I have not changed one setting in security or anything else.... and up until the other day, I was able to get in fine... now I cannot... very strange....

6/7/2010 at 7:07 AM

I am going to have to pack it in with Geni... Will try to find an internet cafe somewhere (not so easy in rural Panama, also very expensive) to try to get stuff done here... This is a very frustrating deal... There is just no point in continuing with the situation as it is... I have spent a lot of time trying to correct this problem on my end, and it is not correctable from this end.... Time to throw the towel in.

6/7/2010 at 8:01 AM

Trying some last ditch stuff with the help of Mike... Wish me luck....

6/7/2010 at 8:09 AM

Yeah, I suggested firefox earlier. It doesn't have any active x problems.

6/7/2010 at 8:46 AM

Does Firefox work with norton? and can you have 2 browsers in one computer?

6/7/2010 at 9:04 AM

Firefox should be fine. I use multiple browsers all the time.

6/7/2010 at 10:45 AM

Opera browser works well and I have multiple browsers and Norton 360. You must have a hidden virus, Sally.

6/7/2010 at 10:56 AM

Would not a hidden virus work on other things beside a tree load up? I just do not understand why it is only the tree acess that is a problem. I have been through every configuration I can think of along with others that others thought of... and nothing works.... reconfigured MSIE, and Norton, updated flash, checked Java. There is no other option on this end as far as I can see.... I hope I don't really screw up my computer by making all kinds of changes and uploading another browser....

6/7/2010 at 11:28 AM

The browser is only dependent on the operating system. But there is a Firefox for PC and a Firefox for MAC. I would check another browser before worrying about a virus or trojan.

6/7/2010 at 11:53 AM

Also try using Disk Cleanup from your Accessories program in your Start Menu.

Private User
11/18/2010 at 11:38 AM

I've been having the same problem as Sally for a while - using Internet Explorer. So now I use FireFox for Geni. When the problem first appeared, I could sometimes fix it by clicking the compatibility mode button (once or twice). But these days there's no such button anymore. Weird.

4/10/2011 at 6:47 PM

I also am unable to use Geni, can not get the tree to work

4/10/2011 at 10:53 PM

Sally Thomas and others
There are 2 different versions of both Flash and Java installers for MSIE and Firefox (the same for Opera, Chrome, Safari etc.)
If you are using more than 1 browser you need to download and install both versions. And after updating/installing Flash and Java please restart your computer (as some parts of older Flash and Java can not updated without restart).
For Windows PC and MSIE it is recommended to update also Direct X,
use this page to download Web Installer: http://goo.gl/54FiP

4/10/2011 at 11:38 PM

Sally & Marsha

I had the same "spinning forever" problem the latest Firefox (4.0) for Mac -- Mike Stangel identified it as a Flash issue in the Firefox release, as Geni did *not* change.

So I downloaded Google Chrome for Mac and it works like a charm.

Just an FYI.

Private User
4/10/2011 at 11:49 PM

Wow, thanks for this discussion, I figured Geni's database was just hanging while trying to draw trees, it's been doing it since I joined a couple of months ago - but now that I remember, that's about the same time I switched to Firefox. This new version of FF seems to be pretty buggy, I also can't view PDFs with it, have to switch over to Chrome to open them. I've been getting past the endless-spinning by hitting 'refresh' every five-ten seconds until it's able to draw the tree...

Dang, I hate Chrome. I just don't care for Google products, they're not intuitive for me, it always feels like a struggle. Love FF. But maybe I'm going to have to switch. Thanks for the info, it's been a puzzle.

4/11/2011 at 12:00 AM

Firefox was great for me for several years. It's this new release (4.0 for Mac) that's buggy. If you're on Mac of course there's Safari but frankly I'm liking Google Chrome better. And it instantly and without pain imported the Mozilla bookmarks etc.

4/11/2011 at 12:01 AM

PS if you're using Firefox for Micro$Soft I think you can downgrade your version of Flash and that will fix the bug. I'll try and find the reference but I try to ignore all MS issues. :) :)

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle
Private User
4/11/2011 at 5:23 AM

Erica, I've been going crazy trying to get trees to come up for a week. It started right after I upgraded my Firefox. I had wondered if that was the problem. I'm not enough of a tech to do the fix myself- I'll have to wait till my son comes over. I'm just glad to know what what the trouble is! Thanks.

4/11/2011 at 5:31 AM

Oh it's just been terrible Tammy and I was so disappointed because Firefox had done great for me for so long.

I don't fool around with Flash, I just change browsers LOL.

4/11/2011 at 7:45 AM

I'm on a Mac with Firefox and have not had trouble with PDFs or tree drawing. I'll check what version of Firefox I'm on. It could also be my version of Mac OS is pretty old (Mac mini several years old).

4/11/2011 at 7:46 AM

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110319 Firefox/3.6.16

So Firefox version 3.6.16

4/11/2011 at 7:52 AM

Do NOT upgrade your Firefox Hatte and you'll be OK. My spinning started with upgrade from Firefox 3.6.16 to Firefox 4.0.

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion