Royal connections

Started by Diane Woods on Sunday, October 17, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 28 posts
Diane Woods
10/17/2010 at 9:33 PM

How common is it to be able to trace back to English royalty? It was very easy for me to connect to several branches of English royalty, and it seemed a little too good to be true. And, you know what they say about that.....if its too good to be true....then

10/17/2010 at 11:15 PM

Diane,

When I first connected with "royalty," I muttered to myself ... oh, come on! Sure. 1,000 years of peasant ancestry, suddenly I'm nobility?

But then I went thru the lines bit by bit, and son of a gun, the links and connections *were* solid and sensible.

So who knew?

Welcome to Geni.

Erica Howton
NYC Curator

Diane Woods
10/18/2010 at 4:45 PM

Thanks, Erica. I have tried for over a year to prove myself wrong, and still come up with royal connections. Like you said, 1000's of years of peasants and then voila.....blue blood!!!!

I found several royal connections on 4 different branches of my family. Since that "group" of the Plantagenets married "themselves" back in the day, I am assuming that if you have 1 connection, you probably have 2 or 4. Is this correct?

10/18/2010 at 4:49 PM

Or more!

I think someone did the math. 99% of people of European descent can trace ancestry to Charlemagne, Emperor of the World or whatever his titles were. :)

But we do not as yet in my opinion have a clean enough, documented enough "shared family tree" to really boast of it.

So ... get to work documenting, I say! A lot of the information is out there, but so is a lot of myth, particularly trying to connect Americans with European royalty.

Private User
10/18/2010 at 10:28 PM

Hi Erica, On the www.thepeerage.com website, there is a "Place" search. You might click on that and check out the USA connections to find nobility living in the US. I can't seem to get it open tonight. I know the last Duke of Ormonde who died about 1998 was living in the US (Chicago?). The title is now dormant.

I can give you some historical information on the Butler nobility that immigrated to the US. They are from the House of Ormonde who married into royalty. Thomas Boleyn's mother Lady Margaret Butler was daughter of the 7th Earl of Ormonde, among others.

Senator / Major Pierce Butler was a British Army officer in Boston who resigned hs commission and settled in South Carolina, fought for the Americans, became a US Senator and signed the US Constitution. His father was Baron of Cloughgrenen, a junior branch of the House of Ormonde.

BY DNA, I know i am related to the Fighting Butlers of Pennsylvania who were 5 officers under Gen. George Washington. There is tons of info about them on the internet. Maj. Pierce Butler stated that he was related to them, and it is known that they were from the House of Ormonde, but their exact lineage is not known. I am related to them in Ireland, and I'm working with their descendents to try and find our common ancestors. Going to Ireland in May in my quest.

I've read that Pres. George Bush is related to King Edward I.Longshanks.
And Pres. John Kennedy is a descendent of King Brian Boru, the last High King of Ireland.

I have tons of references but you can just google too. There are entire books written about the FIghting Butlers, but a lot of theories about who their grandfather was in the Ormondes.

Erica,
regarding the math, it's simple really. If you go back that far, then pretty much ANY one alive at the time that had children that survived, would be the ancestor of a VAST majority of the people in the same geographic group. Going back 30 generations (only about 900 years), you had, in theory 2^30 (2 to the power of 30) ancestors. That is 1,073,741,824 or just over a BILLION. This is more than the number of people alive! Of course the number is actually lower, due to relatives marrying, but the principle still holds.

It has been estimated, via DNA testing that about 10% of the WORLD today are direct descendants of Ghengis Khan. Talk about continuing influence.

Private User
10/19/2010 at 7:46 AM

According to today's World Population Clock, there are 6,876,075,314 people in the world. That should keep us busy with Geni for awhile.

10/19/2010 at 7:59 AM

I want my path from Genghis Khan!

Erica,
while his genealogy IS pretty well established, we don't actually HAVE a "main" copy of Genghis Khan! Not that I can find at least. Want to start a new project? :-P

Private User
10/19/2010 at 8:11 AM

Here is it (one of them):
http://www.geni.com/path/Erica+Isabel+Howton+is+related+to+Genghis+...

I have asked Anchit to do some cleanup there.

Private User
10/19/2010 at 9:04 AM

Since older sons did most of the inheriting, it would make sense that some of the younger sons struck out for adventure and travel . Hence the relationships to America,.

Private User
10/19/2010 at 9:16 AM

Would whomever locked Jean Montfoort and Jacqueline Moreau

please contact me as to the status of your work on these lines. Geni gives me no access whatsoever to these direct line ancestors only an error message. i appreciate any help on my lines that I can get but It would be nice to know how long I will be denied access to them.

Richard

10/19/2010 at 9:17 AM

I think you want to message the curator, who should be listed in the Profile under "curated by." This only applies to Master Profiles: otherwise you'd want to message the "primary manager" (the name in bold furthest to the left).

Private User
1/26/2011 at 6:13 PM

The title of Duke of Ormonde is dormant since 1998. This is very interesting information compiled by the late Lord Patrick Butler,Baron Dunboyne. It shows the main lineages of the titled Butlers. Any Butler out there who can show direct lineage can apply for the title. This information is from The Butler Society. There are multiple pages to click. Mary

http://www.butler-soc.org/nextormond/tsld001.htm

1/26/2011 at 10:09 PM

Jean Monfort is not an MP.

1/26/2011 at 10:10 PM

Nor is his wife an MP Jacqueline Moreau

1/27/2011 at 12:02 AM

Does anyone know anything connected to the Ancient Chinese Royal family. This is my issue: I was born and adopted from taiwan when i wa 2months old by american parents. My father is chinese from SF,CA, and my mother is Irish/Native American from Oakland,CA. The only thing I really know about my birth mom was that her name was Kao Show Drang, but her surname was Kao. I know in ancient chinese history that there was an Emperor Kao, but I'm having a hard time trying to find any geneological records on the chinese royal family to see if I and any decendants from any nobilty of imperial china. My birth mom was born in china but her and her parents fled to taiwan toe scape from the communist. I have very little information regarding my biological family at all. If anyone knows someone who can help me with this, please let me know.
Thank you,

Kim Lowe

Private User
2/14/2011 at 9:04 AM

Wasn't it common for the inheritance to pass to the oldes son to keep it intact.? If so there were a lot of younger siblings looking to make their own way. Sea captains, business men, landowners, etc It would not be unheard of for them to seek their fortunes in the New World. I have a Norwegian relative that was taken to Scotland as the wife of a Scottish Laird. From there it tracks into the nobility in England and beyond. In the same sense my paternal grandmother's family came over before the revolutionary war. That branch tracks back also into England and into other royal families. They did tended to intermarry. So once you are into one. It makes sense you would track back to another also.

Private User
2/14/2011 at 10:44 AM

I've been tracking all my Butlers in Ireland from all the branches of the House of Ormonde. I came across this and didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The documentation is from The Butler Society. This is just a little piece of the Butlers marrying Butlers.No wonder there are problems with merges!

Walter Butler (11th Earl of Ormonde) married Ellen (or Helen) Butler, daughter of Edmund Butler (2nd Viscount Mountgarret). Of their 8 children they had two daughters named Ellen.
Ellen 1 Butler married Pierce Butler (1st Viscount Ikerrin), son of Sir James Oge Butler and Ellis Butler, an illegitimate daughter of Thomas Butler (10th Earl of Ormonde).
Ellen 2 Butler married firstly, James Butler son of James Butler. Ellen 2 Butler married secondly ANOTHER James Butler, son of James Butler (2nd/12th Baron Dunboyne).
@Erica Isabel Howton, how do we keep this kind of tree correct? Mary

Private User
4/18/2011 at 2:22 AM

What makes you royal vs a commoner in England? I am so sick of hearing Kate Middleton referred to as a commoner as if she wasn't quite good enough. Maybe it is my American upbringing that makes it irritating. Edward III of England is Kate Middleton's 18th great grandfather. She is probably related to other royal families too.

Private User
4/18/2011 at 9:57 AM

Private User, I get what you're saying, but by that logic, more than 80% of England is royal. Almost all Western Europeans -- and I'm including us white Americans in that big lumping -- descend from royalty, and her connection is actually much farther back than most of ours. (I think the average is 12 generations before nobility?)

It's one of those cases where how you currently live matters a lot more than how your ancestors lived thousands of years ago. She's absolutely a commoner in her upbringing and sensibilities.

4/18/2011 at 10:49 AM

Yes, I looked at Kate's connections a few months back when the engagement was announced and I was "more royal" than her by far :)

Private User
4/18/2011 at 11:20 AM

So what is closer a cousin 8 times back or a grandfather 20 times back? lol

Private User
4/18/2011 at 12:11 PM

Depends on how you define "close." :) If you want someone whose particular genes you carry, it's the grandfather -- your cousin is not technically your ancestor. If you just want a consanguine relative, then it's the cousin.

4/18/2011 at 12:19 PM

Good question! Good answer.

Private User
4/25/2011 at 8:02 PM

kim J. lowe

Hope I can provide some help. Kao is a fairly common surname (16 million living according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gao_(surname) ), as all Chinese names go. It is written 高, and could be pronounced differently depending on where you are from. China is as big and varied as Europe is.

I could not come up with a royal family of the Kao, at least not of the well-established dynasties. The Emperor Kao you referred to actually is not the name, but a posthumous name so people would not profane by saying their names. However, I can easily come up a few famous Kao's, but

4/26/2011 at 12:40 AM

thank you<3 my birthmom's name was kao (gao)? show drang... She excaped china to taiwan from the communist. I know very little about her since I was adopted as an infant. All I know is that her family was from norheern china orginallly and her native tonge was mandrain. Do you know of a chinese organization that does geniology of the ancient chinese royals?

Private User
4/26/2011 at 10:13 AM

kim J. lowe The royals are always the most extensively documented, and the official History of each dynasty contains quite a bit of genealogical information. I suppose many people in China are doing research on that. I myself have been mostly on the last dynasty, see "Manchu imperial family" project.

By the way, the spelling of your birth mother's name does not conform to the standards even for her time. And it's hard to back-translate into Chinese in any event.

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion